300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you get fired

For being somewhere off duty and you see someone you don't like and tell them to **** off/be mean to them? Or as a cop are you obligated to be nice 24/7 and if not be fired for giving your department a bad name?

Originally posted by COPS
    For being somewhere off duty and you see someone you don't like and tell them to **** off/be mean to them? Or as a cop are you obligated to be nice 24/7 and if not be fired for giving your department a bad name?
    A little different that what you're asking but:

A local LT was fired for being drunk at a bar in near by big city and arguing with an on duty police officer who arrived at the bar for a seperate incident. The big city PD didn't arrest the LT but did call the LT's police chief about the incident. The next day, the LT was sent packing.

Comment

Did he get fired for being rude or get fired for being rude to a cop and breaking the law?

Comment

All departments have a SOP about professional conduct on and off duty. It really depends on how long you have been there, and how bad they want to stick it to you. We had an officer that was eventually fired for being rude to a server at a local bar... according to her. Granted, there is more to the story, but the official termination reason was "Unprofessional conduct."
        In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Good rule of thumb...

Don't **** in your own backyard.

If you do something stupid off duty and people know that you are a cop it may very well bite you in the ***. If you are two states away and you do or say something stupid and do not identify yourself as a cop then you're probably ok. If you are two states away and do or say something stupid and then proceed to identify yourself as a cop then you deserve whatever comes.

Many departments have a code of conduct that applies off duty as well. If you are somewhere that people know you and you do something dumb you are a reflection of your department and can be held to whatever their code of conduct is. This would technically apply somewhere that people do not know you, but is less likely to get back.

Being big boys and girls we should know that name calling is not nice and does nothing to solve problems.
          "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I agree with everyone, every department have thier own G.O. on Code of Conduct on/off duty.

Another rule of thumb is don't act like an idiot or cocky, disregard whether they know you're a cop or not. Remember, someone is always watching you - when you least expect it. In addition, people tend to judge others collectively, if they see you acting like dumb sh*t and they found out you're a cop, they're going to think that everyone in the department are dumb sh*t, too.

You don't have to be nice 24/7, but act professional in dealing with people you don't like.
            Last edited by Freakapino; 08-25-2005, 09:05 PM. Reason: addition
            "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

I can tell people off in uniform on duty and get PAID to do it ..............
              Who told you cops had to be nice to anybody but small children old ladies and dogs ?

Comment

I treat people as nice as they'll let me treat them.
                You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

F*ck off

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

I work in a very small community and if we were reported to the Chief for inappropriate conduct there would only be one question. "Chicken or Beef?"

That said, I can express my personal feelings about someone to them without fear of repercussion.
                    No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Avoid people you don't like if you feel the ned to tell them to F#$k off!
                      Being nice to people costs nothing...

The answer to your question depends on the severity of the incident or the amount of times your being a jerk!!!
                      Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

Can you get fired

If a couple of pipe fitters get into a fight at a bar and get arrested, that isn't going to hurt their careers as pipefitters one bit. If an off-duty cop does the same thing, it isn't going to help his/her career at all. It's not that cops are any better as people than pipe fitters, they're not. It's simply that cops are held to a higher standard. That's as it should be.

Comment

Call out a unit and stay away from a complaint or uneeded s7it.
                          Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Originally posted by Washingtonian
                            F*ck off

You beat me to it
                            It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Thx for the input

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3920 users online. 250 members and 3670 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X