300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bite by K-9 what should I Do?

It happened over a year ago. I know a little to late ut would like so help on this if I do decide to proceed with anything. I volunteered to assist in training for a K-9 demonstration last May '04. The day before we were training everything went well. After the training one of the handlers took his dog about 40 yards away so the dog could releive himself. I go over to get a piece of equipment and the dog is in a full gallup straight at me and I have no protection. Handler calling him off he does not. When I went over to get the Equip. I thought the dog was on leash. I turn my back and the dog digs in and bites me in the upper middle of my back and about less then an inch from my spine. After I hit the ground he comes of and the handler takes control of him. I go to the hosital and they wash/ disinfect the punctures. No stiches because they do not want to get it infected. They send me home with a anti-biotic. No one tells me not to come in to work the next day. I come in.

Chief the next day asked me how I felt and you can imagine what I said. I had to be to work on Monday so I went in. Wasn't till Wednesday that a Sgt.asked if I had been to Medical and I said no becasue no Sgt. had said anything to me. The dotor asked If I could get light duty and no. Workmans Cmp calls me on Thursday and asked how I was doing and I say huring what do they think. They say they will call me back they do not. so what should I do please help me. I was told not to do anything by one of the Sgt.'s I would be given job security for life if I do not do anything. what should I do take it like it is or contact a lawyer. Any advice good or bad would be helpful.

I am not quite sure want are you are wanting. Did you lose income? Do you want compensation for pain and suffering? Are you upset because you were ignored and treated poorly? Medical Bills?

If you lost income or cringle at the sight of lassie then you should be given some assistance, and you shouldn't be out of pocket for anything!

However, I do believe that when you vollunteer to work with land sharks, you keep in mind that you're working with an animal, and one that has a bite instinct. So if you get bite and it doesn't cost you anything, you have two choices - suck it up, or quite vollunteer with things that bite.

I hope you aren't suffering from any permanent injuries, other than a couple fang scars. And like I always tell guys that fall through plates glass windows, "Don't worry about it man, chicks love scars!!"

Comment

You volunteered to particpate in an activity knowing that the animal could bite ...... Correct ? Grow up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Next time just bite the dog back.

Had another officer wrestling with one of my dogs and I warned him not to since dog did not know him. It got rougher and rougher and he took a bite on his back. Only thing I had to say was " You DumbA** I told you"

Comment

Agreed. Getting bit is part of the risk when doing decoy work, however being a former K9 officer myself, I can confidently say the handler screwed up big time by not controling the dog. If you had some sort of permanent loss of use or lost wages, then you should be compensated. If not, then just chalk it up as one of those fun things you did one time. Just as a side note, you should ALWAYS document any sort of significant on the job injury in case there are unforseen complications down the line. Without a first injury report, worker's comp is far less likely to cover any medical bills or lost wages after the fact.
        God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Bit by K-9

Had this injury taken place on my agency, the following would have occurred. A "First Report of Injury" and an Offense/Incident Report would have been completed by a Supervisor.(Cpl or Sgt). You would have been taken to the ER for initial treatment. After that, you would have been referred to a "Gatekeeper" Physician for additional treatment. A 'Gatekeeper" physician is one who has agreed to accept on duty injury cases for state employees. (Alabama)This doctor would then determine whether or not "light, or transitional" duty would be allowed. You would also have had the option of having your injury treated through a personal physician on your state provided Health and Hospitalization Insurance. Where you to choose the latter option, you could jeopardize any Workman's Comp or Disability payments down the road. Basically, the first choice(Gatekeeper) is the best in the long run. I'm not saying Alabama DPS's policy is all that great, but it beats the crap out of nothing. Your department should have had, or should have, a similar policy. Bottom line around K-9s, same as on the range. Be careful!!

Comment

OUCH!!!!!!!!!! sounds like your o.k. though now..

let it go, gives you somthing to talk about..

you should always report things immediately. waiting over a year looks like your just trying to get money or something!

Stay Safe!!
            ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

nothing to see here
              Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks

I thank everyone for the advice!! It just that mty dept. is going to hell in a hand bag real quick. just wanted to see what anyone else thought of the situation. The k-9 sgt. did do a report stating that the handler and myself did nothing wrong. I was being paid for doing this, it was not on my own time. I am not that stupid.

But I cant take what is going on when other officers are getting promoted and increases in pay of jobs that they posted for and did get and theywhere not the best canidates or the job. They had to do this through a national orginization and had no right to do so. Well sorry for the bi****ng. If I say it to anyone else in my department I would get ratted on. Well if anyone else would like to comment please do. Tanks for your comments.
                BOZ

Comment

Originally posted by boz445504
                  I thank everyone for the advice!! It just that mty dept. is going to hell in a hand bag real quick. just wanted to see what anyone else thought of the situation. The k-9 sgt. did do a report stating that the handler and myself did nothing wrong. I was being paid for doing this, it was not on my own time. I am not that stupid.

But I cant take what is going on when other officers are getting promoted and increases in pay of jobs that they posted for and did get and theywhere not the best canidates or the job. They had to do this through a national orginization and had no right to do so. Well sorry for the bi****ng. If I say it to anyone else in my department I would get ratted on. Well if anyone else would like to comment please do. Tanks for your comments.
                  BOZ
                  So lemme read into this a bit. You were fine with it until your dept went to crap, then decided to try to use that as leverage in your own personal cause or vendetta? I mean, it's just a shot in the dark, but that's how I see it. I'm no genius, but if I can see that, any lawyer, judge, or civil jury would see it too with some well planned strategy from the other side's lawyers.

Moral of the story, look for another job if you don't like where you work. Suck it up when you decoy for K9, you'll get bit sooner or later, so if you don't want that chance, don't do it.
                  In god we trust, the rest we run through NCIC

Comment

Dog Bite

Number one, you initially went to the hospital for treatment for your injury.
                    Number two, your chief followed up with you on the injury, by asking how you were feeling.
                    Number three, your sgt. followed up with you on the injury.
                    Number four, workman's comp contacted you about the injury.

It looks like your dept. fairly well covered their behinds on this injury. If you lied and told them all was fine, when in fact you were not fine then the fault for that is on you and not your dept. If you go back a year later and file a workman's comp. or whatever for that injury your dept may well dismiss you for failure to file the workman's comp. claim in a timely fashion. What may look bad with that claim is that workman's comp had already contacted you regarding the claim.

As for an injury lawsuit against the dept. Talk with an attorney, but in a lot of states thoses filings must be made within a year of the injury. I have no idea what the statute of limitations are in MA.

I'm not big on injury lawsuits. Especially injuries that have left no permenant injuries or resulted in no lost wages. This appears to be the case in this incident. You said that the canine bite was very near your spine. I believe that was said to gain sympathy from the readers of your post and had nothing to do with the injury or your pain and suffering. If you are having problems with your dept. or with the present policies within your dept. I like other suggest that you look for employment with another dept. Or just remember that all your supervisors are short timers and will be gone sooner or later.

Oh, by the way. What was the piece of equipment that you were picking up? It wasn't by chance a bite sleeve, was it?

Comment

dawgguy
                      the peice of equiment that I was going to get was the hoster for the gun that we were using for firing blanks. You are right I have been looking for other emloyement with other agencies. I most likely needed a reality check, and I thank those of you that wrote. I just needed to throw this off of some people and I thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by boz445504
                        dawgguy
                        the peice of equiment that I was going to get was the hoster for the gun that we were using for firing blanks. You are right I have been looking for other emloyement with other agencies. I most likely needed a reality check, and I thank those of you that wrote. I just needed to throw this off of some people and I thank you.
                        He easily could have associated the holster with the gun....it's been known to happen.

Hope all works out for you, good luck
                        In god we trust, the rest we run through NCIC

Comment

nothing to see here
                          Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I had only taken about 3-4 steps and I saw him coming, and did not get to the holster on the a frame. At this point I plan on doing nothing. My wife looked at me like I was crazy for even thinking about it. But I must say that I have taken what everyone here has said to heart. And I thank all of you for giveing good advice.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                              You volunteered to particpate in an activity knowing that the animal could bite ...... Correct ? Grow up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Next time just bite the dog back.

Had another officer wrestling with one of my dogs and I warned him not to since dog did not know him. It got rougher and rougher and he took a bite on his back. Only thing I had to say was " You DumbA** I told you"
                              You've got to be kidding. As near as I can tell this bite did not happen as a result of the training he volunteered for. It happened later.

What do you tell people when an officer gets hurt or shot? "Hey he voluntarily took a job where he knew he could get hurt or killed. Too bad, so sad!"
                              Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3220 users online. 151 members and 3069 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X