300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asthma

I just got a letter today from county health services telling me to see my doc and get my asthma checked. I told them that I had asthma/shortness of breath at times while stationed in Kentucky, but have no problems here. It was just the enviornment (humidity), not excersise, allergy etc.

Have no idea why they didn't have me do this back in april when I took my medical.

Anyways, does anyone know if asthma is a dq? I don't use any type of medication,and have no problems. If my doc documents that, should I be okay?

Standards will vary from department to department. The below link explains the general concerns associated with this condition.

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Respir.pdf
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Asthma

The first issue is to determine if you do have Asthma. You mention being stationed in Kentucky, and your post is from Orange County Calif. I assuming from that, that "stationed" means in military service. If that were the case, you probably don't have Asthma, as that is a DQ for military service. If you do have it, it will be a DQ for most, if not all, LE agencies. As I noted at the start of the post, get a physical to see if you have the condition.

Comment

asthma

Not true, You can have asthma as long as you have it under control. You need to go to the search bar and type in asthma, and you'll find that there are about 30 officers that have responded that have asthma or have helped recruits with asthma, it's no a DQ in any department as long as it's under control, and you can still perform the functions. As a matter of fact, I think it's against the law to DQ someone for that. I have asthma and I got hired no problem. I had to use an inhaler and make sure it was under control.

Comment

Chill till you get Doctors report. It could just be a allergy etc.

Comment

Asthma

Noted Sheriff 2004's reply. Perhaps I was a little broad in my statement. True, the standard can vary from department to department. Agencies are pretty free to set their own standards, and Asthma could be, and in many cases is, a DQ. A "blanket" yes, it will DQ, no it won't, is not the proper answer as far as most medical conditions go. Sorry if I gave you the impression you don't have a chance. Go for it!!

Comment

,./,.////,/,/,/,//
              Last edited by Harleydude; 01-12-2006, 08:38 AM.
              Just the facts ma`am, just the facts.

Comment

Philipcal

Your correct, many depts can use that if you can't pass the agility or the basic runs, but they won't know that till your hired. Oh yea and by the way..SEMPER FIDELIS

Comment

First off, thanks for all the feedback.

Second, good news. Just got back from my personal doc, and he sent a letter to county health saying no asthma. I did have it as a child, but no problems in years. So hopefully that's all they needed to hear.

Everything has been knocked out, med, poly, psych, etc etc. Hopefully I get called here pretty soon for a swear in.

I guess they are still having problems with my reference letters, , but other than that, should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouts Out
                    I just got a letter today from county health services telling me to see my doc and get my asthma checked. I told them that I had asthma/shortness of breath at times while stationed in Kentucky, but have no problems here. It was just the enviornment (humidity), not excersise, allergy etc.

Have no idea why they didn't have me do this back in april when I took my medical.

Anyways, does anyone know if asthma is a dq? I don't use any type of medication,and have no problems. If my doc documents that, should I be okay?
                    it was never a problem for me, i have been asked about it, but never a problem

Comment

Quick update.

County Health has just cleared me! So from a medical standpoint, I'm good to go.

So, I've taken and passed:

Oral board, Oral and written psych, phys agility, medical background, (assuming background check), polygraph. In short, everything on the checklist.

So hoping it's just a matter of time now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6034 users online. 363 members and 5671 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X