300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend is in trouble

My friend who is an idiot decided it would be a good idea to sell raffle tickets at his highschool for $5 each to about 200 people. He said it was a school raffle and promised people would win stuff and all that but it was just a hoax and he was selling them useless tickets. I told him all too late that it was very illegal and now he wants to turn himself in but he is afraid he might go to prison or something, he thinks they will throw the book at him and put him away for years. How much trouble is he in? He lives in CA and he's 16.

POST REMOVED

USER BANNED 30 DAYS FOR REPEATEDLY RESPONDING IN 'ASK A COP' FORUM
    Last edited by concon02; 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM.

Comment

That would be considered "Obtaining Propert by Flase Pretense" which is a Felony here in North Carolina. Of course considering the circumstances, it would immediately be lowered to a misdemeanor for Larceny.

My Unit

Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Depart
      Highway Interdiction & Traffic Safety Unit

Taylor's Sports Products

Comment

Texas he would get first offender if he has a clean record, probation, and CSH
        Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

In Kansas that would depend on how much money he made off of it if it would be a misdomenor or a felony. Prison? No. That would not happen. What will probably happen if he turns himself is he will have to pay back the money and he would have to pay a fine to the court. If he has never been in trouble before, he may or may not get probation.

I have to agree with the earlier, "What a dumb***!!"

"In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"
          "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

That tune from the Vonage commercial is resonating through my head... woo-hoo. woo-hoo-hoo!

Can I assume that he has no way to loacte these people and return their money? That would constitute a felony in Florida as well, especially with the dollar amount. If he has never been in trouble, the court would likely just give the person some probation, restitution, and community service hours. I wasn't clear if any criminal complaint has been filed or not. If there is one, the best thing he can do is go on and face the music.
            God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Another "MY FRIEND" story .............. The kid committed fraud and can be prosecuted so he needs to tell the school what he did and let them handle it from there.

Comment

In our county, it would most likley be handled in house by the school. It may be best for him to turn himslef into the school administration.

Comment

My friend is in trouble

You've asked a two part question. Whether or not the crime is a felony or a misdemeanor will depend on the amount of money "Your friend" obtained in the scheme. It could be charged as a felony if the DA could show that each transaction was a part of an overall felonious scheme to obtain money, or if the amount of money obtained is chargeable as a felony. If your friend is 16 years of age, he would undoubtably be charged as a "Youthful Offender"(juvenile), and the case tried in Juvenile Court. In Juvenile proceedings the rules are quite different, as are the sentances, as oppossed to Superior Court. Prison? I don't believe I'd worry about that. I would sugest you advise "your friend" to talk to the Juvenile Division of your local police/sheriff's dept. It's possible some options could be explored short of formal arrest/charges.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                    Another "MY FRIEND" story .............. The kid committed fraud and can be prosecuted so he needs to tell the school what he did and let them handle it from there.
                    Believe its me if you want, either way I got the answers I was looking for. He's in talks with the principle in paying back all the money so thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

I believe in Georgia that would be considered Theft by Deception. Since it's over $500 it would be considered a felony.

I hear the clicking of the cuffs already.

Comment

Originally posted by COPS
                        My friend who is an idiot decided it would be a good idea to sell raffle tickets at his highschool for $5 each to about 200 people. He said it was a school raffle and promised people would win stuff and all that but it was just a hoax and he was selling them useless tickets. I told him all too late that it was very illegal and now he wants to turn himself in but he is afraid he might go to prison or something, he thinks they will throw the book at him and put him away for years. How much trouble is he in? He lives in CA and he's 16.
                        dang, did his dad work for enron? that is a major mess up,
                        one- he is going to get busted when everyone figures out that no one won, so he better show some character and end it now, turn himself in, thats pretty bad when a 16 yr old starts crap like that, he'll probly get his butt handed to him, as an attempt to curb future behavior, but IT WOULD LOOK BETTER IF HE BUSTED HIMSELF instead of letting it go till he gets caught.

Comment

He told me he had two options, go to the principle and face by the book justice, or keep the money and face street justice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6360 users online. 343 members and 6017 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X