Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrassing

Hi!

I am 27 years old, female, and am taking the NYPD exam next weekend. I have no doubts that I will pass the exam, I have a 4-year degree with good GPA, am in good physical shape, and have OK credit (the only late payments I had were due to my fiance's 2-year bout with unemployment). The one thing I am worried about is that five years ago I did cocaine several times, over a period of a few months. I haven't used anything since then, and nothing will show up in my blood, but I am worried that it will hurt my chances. Any advice?

Originally posted by neferusobek
    Hi!

I am 27 years old, female, and am taking the NYPD exam next weekend. I have no doubts that I will pass the exam, I have a 4-year degree with good GPA, am in good physical shape, and have OK credit (the only late payments I had were due to my fiance's 2-year bout with unemployment). The one thing I am worried about is that five years ago I did cocaine several times, over a period of a few months. I haven't used anything since then, and nothing will show up in my blood, but I am worried that it will hurt my chances. Any advice?
    hate to burst your bubble, but i'd say no chance, usually they require a five yr period even for a misdemeanor dui, plus you were ,,,,, 22 when you did it. i think you would have a very very hard time getting on, *just my take* or even getting them to keep your app. as soon as it is turned in.

Comment

Never got a dui or anything; just experimented. Never arrested. Does that change things?

Comment

Never got a dui or anything; just experimented. Never arrested. Does that change things?
        doubt it very seriously, the dui was just an example, *dui as it looks, is not as serious as drugs, especially those drugs that are in certain classes.* and your first post said you did cocaine several times over 4 months, that s not expeirementing. plus the age at the time of the occurances is a bad thing,.

Comment

No Job in NC, but NY? Dunno.... If it were up to me, I'd say No. But, luckiliy it's not up to me
          What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Not too good! Cocaine is one of those drugs that is rarely overlooked. I have never heard of anyone with coke use getting on. (in my experience). As with anything, stranger things have happened. Don't want to sound all negative but I'm assuming you want honest answers. Department Background investigators will overlook marijuana use so long as it was YEARS ago and minimal usage. Coke is a hard drug, shows a bit more than a "I just wanted to experiment with it" attitude.

If you look at it from a BI's view, He/She has hundreds/thousands of applicants to look at and have to weed out the list. You will be going up against hundreds of applicants with no drug use.

Comment

well, thanks for the honest response. How many years should i wait to try again?

Comment

well, thanks for the honest response. How many years should i wait to try again?
                it would depend on what your definition of "expeirmenting" is. but i have looked into several depts. and pretty much all of them say that if you have done anything other than marijuana or some of the controlled pills, then NEVER, but, like someone said, stranger things have happened. i dont make the rules, but thats what i have seen, coke, meth, lsd, so on, then forget about it, ever. but you never know.

Comment

Sorry, but no matter how long you waited I don't know of a department in Washington that would hire you.

Comment

I don't know.

My nephew met all of the signs of being a Serial Killer and NYC hired him, of course he spent a lot of time as a Bouncer working in the right club and is big enough, so I am led to assume that NYC dropped their standards like many other big cities did.

I was sure that he should have washed out during a Psych. eval. But what do I know?

You may want to fly with it, just be aware that there is a Polygraph involved.
                    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

It really depends on the department. The best advice is to be completely honest with the number of times and amounts, etc. Though a felony is most states, the examiner is looking to see if you lie about anything. Explain to the examiner that it was several years ago, why you did it, what you learned from it, and what you have done to correct your actions and improve yourself.

Comment

Here any drug besides MJ requires a ten year wait.

TGY
                        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

No harm in applying. Although the odds are against you, I can honestly say stranger things have happened.
                          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Hi!

Give it a shot......at least you will get an idea of the interview process if you dont advance this time around.
                            What we are dealing with here.......is a complete lack of respect for the law (Sheriff Buford T. Justice)

Comment

Who experiments with cocaine at 22?

I've never done anything before or since, but for a few months I was sniffing blow.

A few months?!
                              Just when I thought you couldn't get much dumber, you keep talking.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4359 users online. 256 members and 4103 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X