300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I to old?

I have strong interest in Law Enforcement/ Criminal Justice System, I am a 36 year old housewife and mother. Am I to old to get into this field?
    Thank you for your advice.

Originally posted by Annette96
    I have strong interest in Law Enforcement/ Criminal Justice System, I am a 36 year old housewife and mother. Am I to old to get into this field?

I am not familiar with your state requirements. However, in Ca. some departments here would hire you if fulfilled the minimum standards while other departments would not due to your age.

If you have an interest in a particular department then I would suggest you contact a recruiter and determine their standards. If your state has a web site for a peace officers standards and training department they might have information that could help you.

Check back here. There might be someone from your state that can be more specific.
    Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

Justa side note to what Lucky7 said: If your looking for federal service then you are too old. They have a cut off at 37 YOA and since your 36 it would be a stretch to be hired and have an appointment by your 37 b-day. As for local different departments have different requirements. Good luck!

Comment

No. You're welcome.
        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Yes considering most people retire from this career mid 40's.
          Unless you have a 4 yr degree and are in great physical condition have good credit and a clean background you may have it tough getting in.

You will have to have:
          Degree
          Good Credit
          Be In Shape
          Be willing to work late nights and evenings and weekends and all holidays until you build enough senority to get day shift etc. (10 yrs at times)
          Accept the fact that a lot of the growing up your kids will do will be without mom present.
          Last edited by Bodie; 08-22-2005, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I agree with Bodie, you have the deck stacked against you on this...it is not impossible for you, but it will be tough...

Comment

Columbus Division of Police has no upper age limit. They have an application filing period coming up. If I recall correctly, its from mid October to the beginning of November. The pay isn't that bad either (at least compared to other agencies I looked at), the starting salary is close to $38,000 and after 48 months, its just under $58,000.

Comment

In Naples you would not be aware that Columbus will get 350 applicants for every position and may onl;y hold two classes of say 60 total this year.
                So only top candidates with degrees etc make it

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  In Naples you would not be aware that Columbus will get 350 applicants for every position and may onl;y hold two classes of say 60 total this year.
                  So only top candidates with degrees etc make it

ok, I have no doubt thats true but we know nothing of the original poster's education. She has nothing to lose by applying.

Side question for Bodie: Does Columbus give special consideration for minorities? When I was looking at Columbus, I noticed that they have a recruiting division speciffacly for minorities.

Would a white male with military experience and a year away from a Bachelors in Economics be at a disadvantage to a minority with a lesser background?
                  Last edited by NavyCop; 08-22-2005, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Am I too old?

Annette, at age 36 you're pushing the edge of the envelope as regards maximum age at which some departments will consider you. My best advice for you would be to check the requirements of your local law enforcement agency. Keep in mind too, that there are educational and physical reqirements to be considered as well. In most instances, height requirements have been eliminated, but most agencies will test you for physical agility etc.If you're interested in LE, you might wish to see what volunteer opportunities exist in your area.Finally, look at your agencie(s) requirements. If you meet them, then by all means, apply.

Comment

You would not be too old for my department, and we also have a 20 year retirement program.

I would read Bodie's words carefully, particularly the part about your children, before you made any steps in the application process. When you are employed, and especially when you are new, the department owns you, and you will have to work when and where they want you too. In my department, that's typically on evening shift, with crappy days off, and in the hood.

I would never tell a person who is qualified not to apply, because god knows we are having trouble recruiting, as are most departments, but think this thing through and educate yourself as much as possible.

Good luck, whatever path you choose.
                      Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I see no issues with your age. You are not too old.
                        I do see issues with your spelling ("Am I to old..."; attention to detail is important for cops).

Comment

too old? Not for my State. And hell, in another few years, the PAT gets WAY easier. (old + woman = like a half hour to run and 2 pushups and 3 situps. )

I am *around* that age and just started PT/Reserve with a PD that I'm really enjoying. (already had some road and LE experience) There are certain advantages to being of a certain age (read: a grown up )in a field of young, gung-ho rookies. Life experience DOES count in this biz.

Obviously it depends on your desires and goals. Certainly there are plenty of departments I know of who would hire you if you pass background, testing and PAT. I guess I don't know how they can turn you down based on age if you pass all of those... why isn't that discrimination? I believe those of you who say it happens--by why is LE exempt?? You could sue the pants off corporate America if they posed a mid-30's upper age range...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3936 users online. 249 members and 3687 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X