300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paperwork For Patrolman

On an average day lets say an 8 hour shift. how much time is dedicated to paperwork?
    Thanks
    "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
    -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

it depends on the day. Once I spent my entire 12 hour shift writing a follow up report on a terroristic threat.... granted, I kept getting pulled away to take calls... but some days I really wish they had transcription.
    Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

Strictly speaking- averages, maybe a couple of hours. It also depends on the officer. I've known a couple to take almost 40 minutes to do a basic accident form- which IMO is pretty sad.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
        Strictly speaking- averages, maybe a couple of hours. It also depends on the officer. I've known a couple to take almost 40 minutes to do a basic accident form- which IMO is pretty sad.

So how long does it take you to do an accident form.

Comment

PAPER WORK...HA...
          We have paperwork for our paperwork

Comment

One day I may not get a single report call, others I may get tied up on a hot call and spend the entire night doing paperwork.

Simple larceny - 30 min
            Larceny/process scene - 1-2 hours depending on if I have to log evidence
            MV Crash - 30 min
            B&E - 1-2 hours if processing scene (30-45 mins if a tech processes it)
            Domestic - 1 hour if evidence of assault (obtain and serve protective orders/warrant), 30 min if no evidence of assault
            Rape - anywhere between an hour to six depending on circumstances
            Illegal gun - 1-2 hours (log evidence)
            Drugs - 1-2 hours (log evidence) maybe longer if distribution case and can develop further info for investigation
            DUI - 1-2 hours for stop, FST's, tow, Intoxylizer, etc
            Use of Force or pursuit - an hour or two to the whole night.

It all depends...
            "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
              So how long does it take you to do an accident form.
              Just to do the form itself, on a simple accident (fender-benders), maybe 10 minutes if on computer. Maybe as much as 15 hand written.
              You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

It can depend on the shift you are working too. Afternoon/evening shift seems to be a lot more call/paperwork driven. Graveyard can go either way. There are not as many calls but there are sometimes more "hot" calls. Also, at least on my department, there are fewer officers on graveyard so your dividing your calls between less people. General rule is you will get more reports on days or evenings.

I'm on graveyards and last night I didn't do even 1 report. However, a week ago I was only 1 of 2 officers in my squad and I took 5 back-to-back report calls. I spent a majority of my shift typing.
                Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

HAHA I used to love DUI arrests in the city. Everything was on the computer and I could type pretty fast, maybe from traffic stop to completely done,2,2.5 hours. Add more if an accident. My new place is alittle more HANDWRITTEN. I had a DUI crash last week, 18 y.o into a house, almost the house if it werent for the concrete flower bed. Seriously took me 2 DAYS. If ya need to know why I can esplain but from incident report,accident report,arrest report,all pertinent DUI forms, consent forms, taken to hospital for blood after machine went down, affidavit, criminal complaint,inventory sheet, DUI observation form. Phew Iam tired jsut thinking about those reports.
                  I got nothing for now

Comment

I think the length of time required do a report depends on the report writing system too.

Back in the old days when we did our reports with large crayons and Big Chief tablets, I could knock out a hand written report in no time. Now our computer report system requires so much information and is so complex it takes me nearly twice as long to do a report.

I took a burglary today where I had a bunch of property stolen. I spent nearly an hour typing in nothing but property tabs.

On average for offenses now I allow 15 to 30 minutes for an initial investigation, then an additional 45 minutes for the offense report. It has gotten to the point that I don't clear a call until I've got the report done because dispatch will have another report for me to take as fast as I clear. I hate being down offense reports. Major offenses generally run longer.

Accident reports really depend on the severity. The data part of the report doesnt take much time, but the length of the investigation and the detail of the narrative and diagram increase with the severity. I have some fatals that I have a couple of shifts invested in doing the report and investigation.
                    RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
                      Just to do the form itself, on a simple accident (fender-benders), maybe 10 minutes if on computer. Maybe as much as 15 hand written.

Curious, are your intersections already been created as templates or do you have to create one from scratch when using the MDC?
                      It depends on hwat my reports are about. DUI reports take longer (1-2 hours) because I throw a lot of detail into it. My collision reports vary because we have to create the scene on the MDC. Plus our system is still being put together.
                      DV Assaults are some what time consuming depending on the call.

TGY
                      Last edited by That Guy; 08-22-2005, 05:10 PM.
                      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by webjeep
                        One day I may not get a single report call, others I may get tied up on a hot call and spend the entire night doing paperwork.

Simple larceny - 30 min
                        Larceny/process scene - 1-2 hours depending on if I have to log evidence
                        MV Crash - 30 min
                        B&E - 1-2 hours if processing scene (30-45 mins if a tech processes it)
                        Domestic - 1 hour if evidence of assault (obtain and serve protective orders/warrant), 30 min if no evidence of assault
                        Rape - anywhere between an hour to six depending on circumstances
                        Illegal gun - 1-2 hours (log evidence)
                        Drugs - 1-2 hours (log evidence) maybe longer if distribution case and can develop further info for investigation
                        DUI - 1-2 hours for stop, FST's, tow, Intoxylizer, etc
                        Use of Force or pursuit - an hour or two to the whole night.

It all depends...

Thats about right. I had a drunk public intox arrest Saturday on an otherwise slow (very unusual) night. The drunk was so drunk they were refused by the jail & I had to babysit at the hospital for four hours until a dr. sees them & basically gives them a once over ok, (basically releases the jail of liability incase they DT'd & died or something - its happened).

This took me off the street for two hours, and into 3 hours of overtime since I still had to type my report.

It just depends upon what kind of a night you have with the calls you have, and what needs to have a report done vs. what you can handle without generating paperwork.

Like I tell my riders, the boring and most accurate parts of the job is what COPS doesnt show you- the three hours of paperwork you do AFTER the car pursuit they show.
                        And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
                          Curious, are your intersections already been created as templates or do you have to create one from scratch when using the MDC?
                          It depends on hwat my reports are about. DUI reports take longer (1-2 hours) because I throw a lot of detail into it. My collision reports vary because we have to create the scene on the MDC. Plus our system is still being put together.
                          DV Assaults are some what time consuming depending on the call.

TGY
                          We use the Easy Streets Diagram program. Its awesome. We have all kinds of streets, straight, curved, more curved, can cut and paste, erase, also pre programmed intersections in the area. Plus it has cars of all sizes, on the side, alligators,deer, fire plugs,shrubery, gravel, arrows, ans can also add text to the actual diagram area. Some guys get carried away and make a real nice accident picture.
                          I got nothing for now

Comment

LOTS !!!LOTS !!!
                            Originally posted by Bluntforcetraum
                            On an average day lets say an 8 hour shift. how much time is dedicated to paperwork?
                            Thanks
                            "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

My Force is rolling out a new records management system that has a VERY steep learning curve to it, so reports tend to take a LONG time to complete. Part of the problem is that data-base for this new RMS needs to be built-up, so we have to enter a LOT of information on EVERYONE we deal with, but it is coming. Another problem is, since I am on a Traffic unit and we often deal with people NOT from this area, so we have to enter these people on the data-base, because ALL of our tickets get filed on the RMS.

My Unit is lucky, however, because we have 2 highly efficient clerks that are VERY sharp when it comes to data-entry, so I just have to write legibly on the face of the ticket, make sure my notes are done up on the back and fire it at my clerk, and she does the rest.
                              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                              "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2787 users online. 120 members and 2667 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X