300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot question

Does anyone know about the Denier Nylon rating in boots?? I have seen where some have 900, some over 1000-which is better for an all around summer/fall boot or is there much difference??

All nylon fabrics have a "denier" rating. This refers to the thickness of a thread or yarn used in the fabric. Generally the higher the denier, the heavier and tougher the fabric.

Some common nylon fabrics with these ratings are: ballistic, ripstop, cordura, canvas, solarweave, lycra, taslan, taffeta, and the list goes on and on.

The nylon fabric in boots, usually cordura, is not used to rate insulating properties. Those qualities are left to other materials like Thinsulate. The nylon exterior fabric may have some sort of water proof coating on it. If the boot is rated as water proof you will find another material included like Gortex.
    "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' 87
      All nylon fabrics have a "denier" rating. This refers to the thickness of a thread or yarn used in the fabric. Generally the higher the denier, the heavier and tougher the fabric.

Some common nylon fabrics with these ratings are: ballistic, ripstop, cordura, canvas, solarweave, lycra, taslan, taffeta, and the list goes on and on.

The nylon fabric in boots, usually cordura, is not used to rate insulating properties. Those qualities are left to other materials like Thinsulate. The nylon exterior fabric may have some sort of water proof coating on it. If the boot is rated as water proof you will find another material included like Gortex.
      man, you sound like a commercial, you have to much time on your hands

Comment

Hell I hunt ducks. I can tell you all about stuff that will keep you dry, and warm, and unpoked with sticky stuff.

Besides that...I worked two summers in an Ethelyn plant that supplied seed stock for nylons. Dern ignernt me wanted to be a cop. Should have let my curiosity lead me to engeneering.
        Last edited by Runnin' 87; 08-19-2005, 04:20 PM.
        "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' 87
          Hell I hunt ducks. I can tell you all about stuff that will keep you dry, and warm, and unpoked with sticky stuff.

Besides that...I worked two summers in an Ethelyn plant that supplied seed stock for nylons. Dern ignernt me wanted to be a cop. Should have let my curiosity lead me to engeneering.
          i figured either that, orrrrr you work for rocky or bates

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3519 users online. 188 members and 3331 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X