300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training and Other Things

Do officers have to pay for their training, special equipment, and other needed things? Does it depend on how big your PD is? Do you really get re-paid after paying for anything that is required or needed? Thank you in advance for any information on this post and hope you all take care!

Brad

Originally posted by bgofast72
    Do officers have to pay for their training, special equipment, and other needed things? Does it depend on how big your PD is? Do you really get re-paid after paying for anything that is required or needed? Thank you in advance for any information on this post and hope you all take care!

Brad
    it depends on the dept budget, we were allowed at least 16 hrs paid training, but there were some guys that went to classes and paid out of pocket,
    but if you do that, or buy gear for work it is a tax deduction. so yea, you get paid back in a round about way.

Comment

Cool gotthblues, I did not know that you get a tax deduction for anything out of pocket. Can you be a reserve officer and use that as a tax deduction since you have to pay for all equipment such as gun, leather gear, footwear, and other necessary things? Thanks for your comments, it helped a lot.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by bgofast72
        Cool gotthblues, I did not know that you get a tax deduction for anything out of pocket. Can you be a reserve officer and use that as a tax deduction since you have to pay for all equipment such as gun, leather gear, footwear, and other necessary things? Thanks for your comments, it helped a lot.

Brad
        i dont know about that, i just know that you can write off things that are work related, if your reserve cert. is a paid part time position, i dont see why not, but you need to check with an accountant.
        if i didnt seek reembursement on meals, i could write that off i had the receipt, but i was full time. i could write off weapons, boots, and other things, but i had to have a receipt and it has to be items that are used primarily for work, i dont remember the % that it has to be used for work before it is a write off, but if you know a good accountant they can help you out on this, without charging you.

Comment

My department is very stingy with sending people to training. They let you take your comp time, vacation or PA days to go and you have to pay for it.

Sad part is our adminstration is the ones always going to paid training and none of the road folks go.
          THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Originally posted by Photogrrlz
            My department is very stingy with sending people to training. They let you take your comp time, vacation or PA days to go and you have to pay for it.

Sad part is our adminstration is the ones always going to paid training and none of the road folks go.
            are you guys not mandated by state statute that you get continuing ed. classes? if so, it is job related and madatory, therefore it is part of your job and the city is responsibly for the bill. PERIOD.

Comment

oh yea, pretty sad that they go to classes for "how to be a better manager / supervisor / whatever" and they still cant pull their heads out there ****************************

Comment

Origonally posted by Photogrrlz
                That makes no sense, all the admin people usually do is drive a desk it's the officers in the field that need to keep up with training.

Our department gives us our on going training, anything outside is usually on our dime. As far as equipments are concerned they give us the basics in the academy and a uniform check every year.

It's up to the individual officer to spend it as on what they need, you know...lap dances, Vegas, toys, did I mention lap dances.

As far as reserves deducting qualified equipment expences I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Code3kd
                  As far as reserves deducting qualified equipment expences I'm pretty sure it can be done.
                  since it is something you choose to do, kinda like a hobby , do you think the irs would accept it... i dont know, i didnt find out about the write offs till my 2nd yr on fulltime, if you can im gonna be ****ed cause i was a reserve the whole time i was in college, 4yrs worth.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                    are you guys not mandated by state statute that you get continuing ed. classes? if so, it is job related and madatory, therefore it is part of your job and the city is responsibly for the bill. PERIOD.

I was talking about going to training that involves increasing officer skills. I put a request in to take a Firearms, Self Defense course at the OSP academy and it was rejected because of budget issues.

Now we do have some mandated training and other CLEA required training. In other words, my department does things only when forced to.

Patience with ignorance

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Comment

That makes no sense, all the admin people usually do is drive a desk it's the officers in the field that need to keep up with training.

Our department gives us our on going training, anything outside is usually on our dime. As far as equipments are concerned they give us the basics in the academy and a uniform check every year.

It's up to the individual officer to spend it as on what they need, you know...lap dances, Vegas, toys, did I mention lap dances.

From what I understand every division is allocated so much money for training and well road, jail and courts suffer. But our ISU (IA) has a big budget for training.

Patience with ignorance

Comment

I was talking about going to training that involves increasing officer skills. I put a request in to take a Firearms, Self Defense course at the OSP academy and it was rejected because of budget issues.

Now we do have some mandated training and other CLEA required training. In other words, my department does things only when forced to.
                        okay, that sounds better, yea i know the feeling on the last statement, mine was famous for waiting till the last minute to hire a replacement, we had it in policy that they had three months to replace a vacant position, well, they found the looop hold, and waited three months to open applications, that was good enough < what ever> then they would take their sweat time to finish the process.

Comment

Originally Posted by gotthblues
                          since it is something you choose to do, kinda like a hobby , do you think the irs would accept it... i dont know, i didnt find out about the write offs till my 2nd yr on fulltime, if you can im gonna be ****ed cause i was a reserve the whole time i was in college, 4yrs worth.
                          I believe it has something to do with giving to a not for profit organization or something like that. As I mentioned I'm not 100% on what it is or falls under. I would check with a CPA to clarify.

Comment

I believe it has something to do with giving to a not for profit organization or something like that. As I mentioned I'm not 100% on what it is or falls under. I would check with a CPA to clarify.
                            i hadnt thought about that, but they dont keep your gear, they can if you by it off a letter head, but i havent seen any that dont, but that definetly looks like a good angle.

Comment

Originally Posted by Photogrrlz
                              From what I understand every division is allocated so much money for training and well road, jail and courts suffer. But our ISU (IA) has a big budget for training.
                              IA would that be Internal Affairs?

Originally Posted by Photogrrlz
                              Yeah, my department waits until an officer winds up on the front page of the news papers, burns em at the stake, then all of a sudden new and updated training for everyone. God forbid they get off their as$es and be proactive for a change.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2965 users online. 146 members and 2819 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X