300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Questions

I'm currently a peace office and I just recently got the job to help out my resume when I graduate college with a four year criminal justice degree. Now I have some drug use in the past in high school, I smoked weed, I tryed coke my freshman year of college when I was drunk and hated it and did mushrooms once in high school also. Now I work with all ex-state troopers and some other cops and they all said I should be perfectly fine and alot of them told me they did some drugs in high school also. I also have a EMT License, security license, clean criminal record except for a couple speeding tickets from high school years and a minor in sociology. I will also have letters of recomendation from state troopers.

I was just wondering if anyone thinks that even with all this improvement in my life and success that I will not be excepted because if some drug use?

Originally posted by Salmon
    I'm currently a peace office and I just recently got the job to help out my resume when I graduate college with a four year criminal justice degree. Now I have some drug use in the past in high school, I smoked weed, I tryed coke my freshman year of college when I was drunk and hated it and did mushrooms once in high school also. Now I work with all ex-state troopers and some other cops and they all said I should be perfectly fine and alot of them told me they did some drugs in high school also. I also have a EMT License, security license, clean criminal record except for a couple speeding tickets from high school years and a minor in sociology. I will also have letters of recomendation from state troopers.

I was just wondering if anyone thinks that even with all this improvement in my life and success that I will not be excepted because if some drug use?
    My Opinion, and also that of the Agency I am employed is that trying marijuana... sure, you'd probably get hired if there were several years between the experimentation and the Job. The Cocaine and Mushrooms would be an auto DQ.
    What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

In my state the fact that you tried anything but pot would DQ you. And trying pot would only be using it once or twice. Not sure about other states.

Comment

I think he has A.D.D. too!

Comment

Anyway, thanks

Thanks for your information, I would have to say I'm not going to give up on my dream just because a couple of you say I can't make it because of some growing up mistakes that I never knew would mess up my career. College's should really tell students that before they go into a criminal justice degree that if they have ever done any drugs they are screwed and I guarantee you that the criminal justice dept would be looking for so many more people because half the students that take criminal justice would find something else. I bet all you guys who respnded to this have never done anything in your life right -that has to do with drugs? If you grew up in the 60's your full of crap if you say no. What, you have never made a mistake. I've talked to so many cops who have done more then smoke mj more then eight times or whatever you thing is, etc... I appreciate your comments, but its frustrating when people tell me that just because of a couple mistakes that my career is over even though I've made so much good progress in my life. The world isn't a pretty place, bad things happen to good people
          Last edited by Salmon; 08-19-2005, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I bet all you guys who respnded to this have never done anything in your life right -that has to do with drugs? What you have never made a mistake. I've talked to so many cops who have done more then smoke mj more then eight times, etc... But thanks for your two cents anyway
            Typical. You ask, you get answers. Then you go off half cocked because you don't like the answers.

Not speaking of MJ

Cocaine and Mushrooms. Both Felony charges.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Originally posted by ofoster
              I think he has A.D.D. too!
              Not that I teach grammar, but an English 101 writing class might be in order. If you are able to write (and talk) in a clear and concise manner you will be able to better articulate your past mistakes and what you have done to "recover" and move on.

All agencies are not alike, what might be a dq factor at agency A might not be at agency b. You might also want to look at law enforcement in the military as a way to get some practical experience on top of your degree.

You might also want to think about your responses to posts before you actually post them.. Remember, there are a LOT of officers who spend their time here, some of them have more overtime under their belt than you have time on earth. Snide remarks and verbal fingers in eyes aren't going to get you anywhere.

JMHO.
              Last edited by KC2GYV; 08-19-2005, 01:38 PM. Reason: Fifth Monday in a row - long day.
              Ken
              I must go down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life, To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover, and quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Comment

No half cocked

I'm not half cocked, I could care less, all I'm saying is that college's should warn people about how hard it is to get a job in law enforcement, if you ever did anything other then MJ, which is bad but these days there are so many people doing cocaine, that stuff is everywhere. Ya know how many drugs are done at college's? and at frat parties and at bars and kids in high school hear about it and think it is cool and they want to be like the older kids. So for some crap that I did in high school gets in my way of getting a job and the dept can't see that I made mistake then I think thats stupid, no offense. I could see if I did everything over and over but I hated all of it and never did it again.
                Last edited by Salmon; 08-19-2005, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I'm not half cocked, I could care less, all I'm saying is that college's should warn people about how hard it is to get a job in law enforcement, if you ever did anything other then MJ, which is bad but these days there are so many people doing cocaine, that stuff is everywhere. Ya know how many drugs are done at college's? and at frat parties and at bars and kids in high school hear about it and think it is cool and they want to be like the older kids. So for some crap that I did in high school gets in my way of getting a job and the dept can't see that I made mistake then I think thats stupid, no offense. I could see if I did everything over and over but I hated all of it and never did it again. I stil don't believe that any of you cops never did anything, lol.
                  1 - You should research your choices first. Colleges offer education.... They aren't going to hold your hand and say, "but but but"

2 - Yes, "crap" you did in high school could affect the rest of your life.

3 - You want to be an LEO, yet you generalize us by "any of you Cops..."

Yes, I did stupid **** as a young one. Cocaine? No. Mushrooms? No. Come to the Internet and get upset over accurate and honest answers to my questions? No.

And the very first part of your quote, "I could care less". You summed up the point of your thread perfectly.

Comment

I'm sorry

First of all, I don't need a english lesson, the reason I type like that is because I'm so used to talking on AIM, with words like "ya.,lol, ttyl, stuff like that because its easier to type faster. And you guys are right, I shouldn't say anything cocky, I didn't mean to affend anyone, you guys are on here to help people and give them answers and thats what you did for me. So thank you. I appreciate the idea about going into the military, I don't know if I'll do that but if for some reason I can't get a job, I'll look into it.

Comment

.............And you guys are right, I shouldn't say anything cocky, I didn't mean to affend anyone, you guys are on here to help people and give them answers and thats what you did for me. So thank you. I appreciate the idea about going into the military, I don't know if I'll do that but if for some reason I can't get a job, I'll look into it.
                      That's better. You'll get much more respect that way.

I am curious, when and why did you want to be LE?

Comment

Calm down

Wow, calm down, your on a whole other level then me buddy, I wasn't even comming off in that way. I could care less is about how what people think of me, I have a thing called intergity and I've been through so bad stuff in my life so I'm not going to let just one person bring me down, thats all I was saying

Comment

I could care less is about how what people think of me, I have a thing called intergity and I've been through so bad stuff in my life so I'm not going to let just one person bring me down, thats all I was saying
                          That's just it though. No one tried to bring you down.

Comment

I wanted to be a LE, when I went into my senior high school year. Then my freshmen of college my best friend died from a hazing incident from pledging a fraternity. It made me more and more want to help people and children follow the right direction in life, and stop criminals from hurting people. Then one of my other best friends , was hanged and the police never found out who did it. I guess also you could say when I was little my sister hung out with alot of bad people and they messed her up pretty bad, that also made me want to be cop. All of these factors have chnaged me into a person that wants to help people, stop criminals from hurting people, and uphold the law.

Comment

Your so right

Your so right, sorry about that. No one did try to bring me, the person who wrote "I think he has A.D.D. also" kind of set me off, that was about it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6190 users online. 353 members and 5837 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X