300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riot police

i was thinking about the WTO riots in my hometown, and i was wondering if during the police academy you were trained to do that kind of work. also, is any officer expected to be able to do it?

Originally posted by gh0st
    i was thinking about the WTO riots in my hometown, and i was wondering if during the police academy you were trained to do that kind of work. also, is any officer expected to be able to do it?
    Depends on the agency. In Seattle I would expect that's a required academy class.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

We learn basic riot formations in the academy.

We carry riot gear in our cars.

I think you'll find most metro. depts. will equip their officers w/ riot gear in the cruisers. Or assign gear to the coppers.
      ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Riot Police

Riot Police is kind of a mis-used term in many cases. Most medium to large agencies have SWAT Teams, Special Operations Units etc. Basic riot control, (formations, tactics) is often taught in the Academy. For the most part, Special Ops personnel are drawn from different units, divisions of a given agency, and spend considerable time training , over and above normal duty hours. This isn't a "one size fits all" answer,and the specifics will vary from agency to agency.

Comment

I was taught it, and am issued riot gear, but we leave it at the sation...
          Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

We had a three day class on crowd controll and riot policing while in the academy, although we have a Special Response Team (SRT) that handles most situations so I will probablly never have to use it. Riot gear is at all stations is ready to use in case of emergency.

Comment

In CA, you get basic training - one to three days depending on the acaemy. You get more training through your agency after the basic academy....

We get ongoing training at least once a year. Our department encourages all personnel to carry their equipment in their vehicles. the specialized personnel, this is mandatory. Each event is evaluated / rated for the potential for violence. The specialized personnel come in first to handle and we call out to the other districts to send their people in... for unannounced events, the districts handle and the specialized personnel come in and take over........
              ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
              -- John Wayne

Comment

I belong to our Tactical Team. We have done riots...really big ones and some smaller ones. We also are trained in all sorts of related less-violent activities including ICS Training, extractions, ship boarding, soft hat crowd control, Emergency Measures events etc. Training courses on a regular basis on our twice a year major week long training sessions. Called out when needed. Not part of the regular Depot training.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5584 users online. 302 members and 5282 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X