Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference and why?

I live in Michigan.

Why are state police so much easier and so much more comfortable to deal with then the DNR or local cops?

I've had many dealings with police.. A couple speeding tickets, many many employees that have had problems, neighbors doing stupid things, bla bla bla.

I have noticed over the years that there is a big difference in dealing with a Michigan State Police officer and a local cop or DNR officer.

Why is this? Is there a difference in educational level or training? Why do the MSP seem so much more professional and laid back? Local guys always seem to be on some power trip.

No offense to local cops, I know there are good ones but I am speaking from a purely statistical point.. Given an option, as a witness or the bad guy, I would much rather deal with a state than any other.

Thank you for the information,

Because MSP Troopers are the best! *yuk yuk*

Ok, all kidding aside - there are WAY too many variables at play to give you an accurate answer as to why you are experiencing the type of contacts you have come across. Academy training, in-service training, educational experience, "people skills" or verbal skills (or lack thereof), they are ALL factors. Wish I could be more helpful...
    Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Hey, you won't believe this, each one of those law enforcement officers are regular people too! Can you imagine that? I can just as easily ask why is suspect A so much nicer than suspect B? Why is dealing with a speeder sometimes different than dealing with a killer? Everybody is different and everybody has different things going on in their lives all the time; even cops.

Comment

Originally posted by FCSD2162
        Hey, you won't believe this, each one of those law enforcement officers are regular people too! Can you imagine that? I can just as easily ask why is suspect A so much nicer than suspect B? Why is dealing with a speeder sometimes different than dealing with a killer? Everybody is different and everybody has different things going on in their lives all the time; even cops.
        I disagree..

I realize that the people are all different. I did not ask why some cops are good and some are bad.. What I asked is why is it generally easier to deal with a MSP officer than a local cop. They act more professional as if they "follow the book and just doing their job".. Local cops always seem to have a chip on their shoulder as if "its personal" or something. I am not referring to one cop next to another. I am referring to one category next to another.
        I understand there are human variations within each category. But from category to category there is also a difference and it seems to be a big one.

Generally speaking, local cops almost seem to be nothing more than legalized gang members with a personal vendetta against anyone who opposes them or stick up for their own rights.
        Generally speaking, state police don't seem to care one way or another. They have a book and are going to follow it.

I just want to know why and where the difference comes from.

There is a difference between state and local cops and its not the paycheck. Its something else. Pride? Training? Punishment for screwing up? Visibility to public? I don't know.. But there is a difference.

No offense to any local type cops. I have met some very professional ones and I am sure they probably do not like the less professional variety giving people like me this impression.

Comment

Its funny that you make these generalizations of local officers. I am a local officer, but have met several troopers that were *******s and countless number of local officers who were professional.

So that probably means that all troopers are *******s if I apply your logic to my own experiences right?

I dunno, maybe its the big chip on my shoulder, or I wasn't trained enough to see the higher standards of the MSP

Comment

Originally posted by CitizenJoe
            I disagree..

I realize that the people are all different. I did not ask why some cops are good and some are bad.. What I asked is why is it generally easier to deal with a MSP officer than a local cop. They act more professional as if they "follow the book and just doing their job".. Local cops always seem to have a chip on their shoulder as if "its personal" or something. I am not referring to one cop next to another. I am referring to one category next to another.
            I understand there are human variations within each category. But from category to category there is also a difference and it seems to be a big one.

Generally speaking, local cops almost seem to be nothing more than legalized gang members with a personal vendetta against anyone who opposes them or stick up for their own rights.
            Generally speaking, state police don't seem to care one way or another. They have a book and are going to follow it.

I just want to know why and where the difference comes from.

There is a difference between state and local cops and its not the paycheck. Its something else. Pride? Training? Punishment for screwing up? Visibility to public? I don't know.. But there is a difference.

No offense to any local type cops. I have met some very professional ones and I am sure they probably do not like the less professional variety giving people like me this impression.

So how long ago were you arrested by a local cop? Your gang reference shows your obvious distain for them.

Because your "observations" seem to be the exact oppposite of what everyone else notices.
            Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

I don't think anyone can really answer your questions without background knowledge of your dealings with each type LEO.
              What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Wiggum
                So how long ago were you arrested by a local cop? Your gang reference shows your obvious distain for them.

Because your "observations" seem to be the exact oppposite of what everyone else notices.
                First off, the word is not "distain".. The word is "disdain" meaning to reject, or have contempt. I wont comment on the second mistake as typos do happen.

There is another word you may want to reference, it is called assume. As in when you assume, you make an *** out of U and ME.
                You must be a local yes?

Why do you assume that because I show disdain for something that I must have had a bad experience? Some people are educated and a single positive or negative experience does not make for an opinion.

And on that subject, my opinion comes from observations (mostly) as well as personal experience. From being present when employees have been interviewed (questioned) to being questioned myself as a witness or suspect.

Please don't be offended. With all respect, I know there are very good local cops but I was speaking in a purely statistical view. State police seem to be better trained to a point that makes it obvious.

Comment

Oh... kay

So, IOW, you have had so much experience with LE in MI that you are an expert in training?
                  What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
                  Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Originally posted by acreature
                    Oh... kay

So, IOW, you have had so much experience with LE in MI that you are an expert in training?
                    No.

My post was an innocent question to see if I could get a solid answer. The most intelligent thing I got back was that my observations are the direct opposite as what most others are.
                    I will re-evaluate my opinion. However, my original opinion was not formed overnight.

Thank you for your response(s), your time, and your dedication,
                    Have a great day!!

Comment

As others have said, there are way too many variables involved to give you a "solid' or simple answer. Where we work, everybody thinks that the CITY police are the nice guys. The kids that come from the COUNTY areas think that the Sheriff's are jerks. I have been told this repeatedly (100's of times) by people who live in the County.

That being said, I get told 5-6 times a month that I'm the "nicest" or "coolest" cop they've ever dealt with....and this is from people getting a ticket. On the flip side of that, I get told 10-12 times a month that I'm the biggest ________ (you fill in the blank) as well.

The one's that think I'm a nice guy are generally the ones who know they screwd up and don't make any excuses. I usually go out of my way to explain the court process and how they can get a lower fine. The people who think I'm a jerk are the ones who ask for a warning and then flip out when they don't get it....that's when the "I bet you were beat up in school", "you guys are no better than the Gestapo" and "did you get your quota" comments start flying...
                      "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

I have noticed that the a " good cop " is usually the one that let someone slide on a ticket.
                        RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Leader
                          As others have said, there are way too many variables involved to give you a "solid' or simple answer. Where we work, everybody thinks that the CITY police are the nice guys. The kids that come from the COUNTY areas think that the Sheriff's are jerks. I have been told this repeatedly (100's of times) by people who live in the County.

That being said, I get told 5-6 times a month that I'm the "nicest" or "coolest" cop they've ever dealt with....and this is from people getting a ticket. On the flip side of that, I get told 10-12 times a month that I'm the biggest ________ (you fill in the blank) as well.

The one's that think I'm a nice guy are generally the ones who know they screwd up and don't make any excuses. I usually go out of my way to explain the court process and how they can get a lower fine. The people who think I'm a jerk are the ones who ask for a warning and then flip out when they don't get it....that's when the "I bet you were beat up in school", "you guys are no better than the Gestapo" and "did you get your quota" comments start flying...
                          That is interesting. I never realized that about city and country differences.
                          I guess you could say "its not what you see, but the lens through which you see it"
                          Thank you for your view on the subject., I guess that may provide a bit of insight.
                          Last edited by CitizenJoe; 08-18-2005, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I personally think that cops in decent sized cities deal with more BS than sheriff deputies and/or state troopers due to the demographics of municipal policing ( in general). When you deal with more BS, you either build less tolerance or humor yourself with it. Add in the individual cop's personality and there yah go... .
                            "Its not cheating, unless you get caught."-Al Bundy

Comment

Originally posted by Beanstick
                              I personally think that cops in decent sized cities deal with more BS than sheriff deputies and/or state troopers due to the demographics of municipal policing ( in general). When you deal with more BS, you either build less tolerance or humor yourself with it. Add in the individual cop's personality and there yah go... .
                              I would agree with the above, but also realize that until you have had contact with a majority of a group it's not fair to make assumptions.

Also realize that a State Trooper will probably not make contact with the same person more than once. City cops have to deal with a lot of the same ****bags over and over again. This generally leads to less tolerance on this person. You say your experience is from being a witness and suspect. These types of contacts are generally very different for obvious reasons, and can result in different impressions of the officer(s).

I would be interested why you have had so much contact with city, and state police.

Also personally if I was you, I would not critique officers replys. You are asking for our response, and we are taking time to answer your questions. But hey, that's just me.
                              Last edited by Rally; 08-25-2005, 04:31 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5121 users online. 276 members and 4845 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X