300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• application

im getting ready to apply for the academy. i was just wondering what kind of things would get me rejected if i put them on the application. One thing is i have been arrested for offroading before and was charged with criminal tresspassing and damaging private property. I have since had the offenses expunged so my record is clear. Do i have to still list them? if i leave them off and they find them once they do a background check will they think i was trying to hide the offenses? im supposed to be able to not have to tell anyone about those crimes anymore bc they have been "erased" but it feels wierd not listing them where it asks for criminal record.
    Another thing is about the drug part of the application. i have done marijuana maybe 3 times in my life and its been like 2 years since then. Is it better to list it on there and if i do will they reject me, or just say i have never done drugs before, knowing i very well have tried them before.
    Thanks

I'll let some of the vets here answer the question about your prior record, but as for the pot, list it. I smoked marijuana 3 times in my life, and I listed that on my application and there was no problem. Better off being straight up front, then something coming and bitting you on the *** later.

Comment

It's easy to figure out what you should put on your application. You should list whatever you have done and answer all questions honestly. If you are worried that something you did in the past will disqualify you then ask the agency about it.

If things you chose to do in the past prevent you from getting a job in law enforcement, so be it. Move on to other fields of employment. Lying about your past to get a job is wrong and a terrible way to start off a career.
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

So let me get this straight. You are considering being misleading or straight up lying on your first document related to law enforcement. Do you plan on lying to your peers or supervisors? On your reports? On the witness stand? Go ahead and lie. They will find out (nothing ever is "erased" from my department's records), and you will get what you deserve.

Find a different line of work. People like you who become cops eventually do something stupid to ruin it for the rest of us. I wouldn't want to work with you, I wouldn't want to supervise you, and I wouldn't want you protecting my neighborhood.

Comment

working on my BI book

I am currently working on my background book. I am putting EVERYTHING down. Even the $.87 stick on aquarium thermometer I took from Petsmart when I was 16 years old. Honesty is the best policy and the truth shall set you free.
          Applied to Marietta PD-August 8, 2005
          Written test passed-August 16, 2005
          Background book turned in-September 6, 2005
          Oral board passed-September 12, 2005
          Psych test-September 16, 2005
          Polygraph test passed-September 26, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sprortnmud
            One thing is i have been arrested for offroading before and was charged with criminal tresspassing and damaging private property. I have since had the offenses expunged so my record is clear. Do i have to still list them?
            Yes. First of all, you need to be honest. Second of all, even with an "expunged" record, they'll still find out.

if i leave them off and they find them once they do a background check will they think i was trying to hide the offenses?
            Uhh... yes, obviously...

Another thing is about the drug part of the application. i have done marijuana maybe 3 times in my life and its been like 2 years since then. Is it better to list it on there and if i do will they reject me, or just say i have never done drugs before, knowing i very well have tried them before.
            List it. Again, tell the truth. Second, nobody really cares about a little pot any more. That isn't going to kill you.

One absolutely positive way to get DQed and most likely to never be able to get into LE is to be caught lying. Integrity is everything. And BIs talk to each other.

Comment

I just finished an academy in Ohio. PM me with ur details and i will help you. I can tell you anything you wanna know about ohio's police academy

Comment

i dont think i ever would be able to lie on a LE app, i was just trying to see if what i have done in my life will straight up bar me from getting into LE.
                Im not trying to hide the fact that i have been arrested, im just saying what is the point of getting it expunged if i have to still list it every time. i thought the whole point of getting it expunged was so that i didnt have to tell anyone else about it. I could care less if they find out bc its so minor anyway. i just wanted to know what the rules were about expunged records.

Comment

I can't begin to tell you how many people I have stopped, tell me they have never been arrested. I'm looking at my screen and it's telling me they have been and eventually it comes out that it was expunged or sealed. They equate this to never being arrested. (Just because the case is closed/sealed does not mean that it did not happen.)

We (The Police) have access to arrests that are expunged.

Do not lie on your application, that will get you an automatic DQ - probably forever, because like someone mentioned the background investigators talk to each other.

The polygraph and/or background will likely uncover an illegal activities. List the marijuana, 3 times should not kill your chances - but it does not help.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4185 users online. 214 members and 3971 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X