Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duckfan, I noticed that you convieniently did not reply to my point, but instead resorted to ad hominem attacks on those that do not agree with you. Which is fine. Just proves our point even more. Quite typical of your holier than thou kind actually.

Comment

To the thread starter:

A knife or baton as a self defense weapon is a bad idea unless you are trained with them. In an altercation you have to get up close and personal with someone in order to use them and if you can reach them, they can reach you. It is important to remember that any weapon you carry could potentially be taken from you and used against you.

Pepper spray is a much better option since you do not have to be as close to use it and it is generally not considered lethal force, unlike a knife or baton.
      No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Originally posted by duckfan
        Hey AtlCop,
        You've got a right to bear arms? Why don't we test it? Strap that Glock to your hip and take a hike through Penn Station. Just think of the millions you're going to make when they violate your "rights". If you're an active duty cop are you going to get arrested? No ,of course not, Federal Law will cover you on that, eventually. Are you going to get your balls broken and spend a few hours in custody while they check you out? You bet your *** you are. Don't expect your shield and ID card to speed things along either. Any one can buy a shield on EBAY and make a decent looking ID card with their home computer. Someone had better be available in your agency who can confirm your identity. Don't forget to tell them about the "right to bear arms". I'm sure they'll be impressed. Please come back here and let us know how you make out, OK?
        Duckfan:

First of all, I'm not impressed with all of your "experience" and don't think that you are better than me after reading your post. Nor do I think I am better than you. However, I will respond briefly.

My ID and badge are verifiable on the spot. My Georgia POST status is verifiable on the spot.

I'll be a new millionaire if the detainment goes for longer than 30-45 minutes.

Secondly, you talk about not receiving PC from southern officers then you slam us. You are no better than us just because you were NYPD. OOOOOOOOO... Let me bow and kiss your feet.... I hope you can sense the sarcasm oozing from this. Did you ever think that maybe its your attitude that affects whether or not you get PC? If I told you that you were beneath me and not as good as me, would you give me PC?

As far as the Second amendment, you need to learn how sentence structure works. The citizens are guaranteed the right to keep and bear arms. The reason they are granted this right is so that there can BE a well-organized militia. The right to keep and bear arms is not dependent on the condition of there being a well-organized militia. It is the other way around. This is called English 101.

We are all officers. We all put our lives on the line everyday. It doesn't matter what department you work for. If you go out and work the streets as an officer, we're all equal.
        Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

We Are All Brothers

As a 21 year retired veteran of the NYPD I can tell you that I do not look down on any COP anywhere in this great country! All of us face the same **** every day. We may face it in different environments, but its all the same.When you are fighting for your life and calling a 13(officer needs assistance) on the 17th floor of some filthy housing project with no working elevator, or doing the same on a rural road, rolling on the ground with some mutt it seems like forever until help gets there. So I don't put down my brothers in other departments nor do any of my brothers in the NYPD. Oh and by the way the only people who can not carry their firearm under hr 218 are retired NYC Police Officers. This is because the NYPD says they will not certify us, and at least for the moment they are the only ones who can certify us.So as far as my read of the law goes; if your department says you are good to go, you are. If you are active duty you are automatically covered by HR 218. I have been retired for 3+ years and I don't take the garbage out to the curb without my firearm.

Stay alert, Shoot first, Go home to your family

Comment

I knew this would evolve into a 2nd amendment debate. It always does.
            I no longer participate in those debates, but I do enjoy reading them.

Did the guy who started this thread ever get his question answered?
            What was his question again?
            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

I wish I would have had the opportunity to be involved in this "debate" when it occured so long ago. Being a non-leo and a ccw holder in New York State is like being shown a birthday cake and being told you cannot have it or blow out the candles. Unfortunately, I have found myself to be one of the only moderately liberal person in New York State that supports police and citizens rights alike. I work as an " armed guard" in many places in the CNY area in situations that require the same quick thinking , verbal judo, defense techniques, handcuffing and pepper spray techniques and violence of action that many leo's daily are involved in. The majority of persons that are interacted with in this manner are generally drug dealers/users and gang members. Often I am on an on-call basis , where I will be the person to respond to situations when TSHTF.
              However, with this knowledge, my CCW permit IS STILL LIMITED to to and from employment,range,hunting. I am glad to know that I am required to:
              a. stay home when not doing such activities.
              -or-
              b. bypass a whole city as not to find myself ijn a situation where I am forcibly interacting off-duty with the same persons that had been detained by myself or my associates or the police that respond to the scene to assist us.

Thankfully for myself, I got the call today and soon will have the 24/7 statewide jurisdiction capable of assisting me in complete self protection capability. I am so excited for the job

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                I knew this would evolve into a 2nd amendment debate. It always does.
                I no longer participate in those debates, but I do enjoy reading them.

Did the guy who started this thread ever get his question answered?
                What was his question again?

No kiddin.

I did like both sides of the controversy, but the outright insults are uncalled for. Duckfan's debate is pertinent and if he is telling the truth about his time on the street, I think a little more respect is deserved.

Obviously opinions vary on a hot issue such as gun control, but nevertheless, I'm sure he and other legit LEO's on this forum would still put their life on the line for one another any day of the week.

Stay safe.
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

To the original poster:
                  A good pair of running shoes might be best in NY. As I understand the law there, your best bet, in the words of Monty Python:

"RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY"

Or is that just in NYC?
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                    To the original poster:
                    A good pair of running shoes might be best in NY. As I understand the law there, your best bet, in the words of Monty Python:

"RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY"

Or is that just in NYC?

I believe the law is slightly more specific. I think it says run away and find a corner where you cannot run any further and are within the 21 foot rule guideline and make sure your assailant has a firearm, partner, and/or vehicle and you cannot dodge any of them. In that case and in the case that their is an intruder in your home and in both cases a reasonable person would believe themselves to be in danger of serious physical injory/death, then defend yourself. But do not do so in a manner that could seem malicious, for you shall be prosecuted on the basis of Mr. Smiths inability to correctly relieve himself since in all the action you purposely placed the shot that made it so that he needs to use a colostomy bag for the rest of his life. Hell, we had a few police officers last year shoot a suspect that was fleeing thew scene of a crime, and in doing so was 99 percent likely attempting to run over the police officer. The investigation was almost a year long into the incident. Nobody is safe here. I love NY though. Its becoming the new california, outdoing it 2:1 I think.... I apologize for the rant. Please, assume speaking.

Comment

Pig Bastard

post wiped.
                      Last edited by officerdotcomm; 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM. Reason: anti-LE posting

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2705 users online. 116 members and 2589 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X