300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York State: Civilians and weapons

To put this into context, I am nineteen years old, male, and live in Erie County, in New York State. I was wondering if a New York LEO or someone familiar with New York laws could perhaps help me.

It is my desire to carry a weapon for personal defense as I go about my daily business. Since I am not old enough to obtain a pistol permit (Preferably, I'd have a .45 Colt ACP ) , I must seek an alternative.

My initial thought was to obtain a knife. The laws governing civilians carrying knives in public in New York State however, create problems for me. A folding, four-inch, single-edged blade is completely worthless for use in self-defense. There is hardly any range. There is no psychological deterrent, which is one of the most important factors I am looking for in a weapon. Better that an enemy decide to decist attacking than anyone actually have to fight.

My next choice is an ASP Baton, which are classified as extendable batons.
    Is it legal for a civilian to carry an ASP baton in public? If yes, are there restrictions?

If ASP batons are NOT legal for civilians to carry and use, what would a LEO recommend for a civilian to carry for personal self-defense in NY?

[tic] cell phone [/tic]

Comment

Since your politicians have seen fit to force you to rely upon the Govt., I would suggest a Ninja Suit and a long cane.
      Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
      --------------------------------------------------
      Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
      Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker
        Since your politicians have seen fit to force you to rely upon the Govt., I would suggest a Ninja Suit and a long cane.

LOL why not a samurai suit? what have you got against the samurai?

Comment

Originally posted by BS_CJ
          LOL why not a samurai suit? what have you got against the samurai?
          I figured the Ninja Suit and mask would be black and intimidating. Didn't give a Samurai any thought, 'cuz I don't know what color their suit is
          Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker
            I figured the Ninja Suit and mask would be black and intimidating. Didn't give a Samurai any thought, 'cuz I don't know what color their suit is
            It's a giant metal suit

Comment

I think I'd go Samarai

Comment

So I take it you are advising me to move out? Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moosnuff
                  So I take it you are advising me to move out? Working on it.
                  It would be my advice. Go to a state that takes your 2nd amendment rights seriously. New York definitely won't recognize them.
                  Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

FYI: a knife is generally a bad defensive weapon. It's hard to see, and usually will only cause very serious injuries. 99% of self defense situations aren't lethal force situations.

You might look into Pepper Spray.

Comment

Yes, under the circumstances, I'd opt for pepper spray. A baton can be very dangerous (and open you up to liability) if you aren't properly trained with it. Pepper works well most of the time, and the likelyhood you will ever need it is slim.
                      God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                        FYI: a knife is generally a bad defensive weapon. It's hard to see, and usually will only cause very serious injuries. 99% of self defense situations aren't lethal force situations.

You might look into Pepper Spray.
                        same here,,, knife, bad idea, pepper spray, great idea.

Comment

A baton is specifically prohibited by the NYS Penal Law. It WILL get you locked up. I'm a retired cop, I'm allowed to carry a gun anywhere in the State and regularly travel to NYC. I don't carry. Why? There's no need. I feel safe wherever I travel in NYS. Erie County is hardly the wild west. There is no need for you to have any type of weapon. It will only get you deeper into trouble. Do the rest of the world a favor. Go about your business unarmed like the rest of the law abiding citizens. Don't let your paranoia get the best of you.

Comment

Originally posted by duckfan
                            A baton is specifically prohibited by the NYS Penal Law. It WILL get you locked up. I'm a retired cop, I'm allowed to carry a gun anywhere in the State and regularly travel to NYC. I don't carry. Why? There's no need. I feel safe wherever I travel in NYS. Erie County is hardly the wild west. There is no need for you to have any type of weapon. It will only get you deeper into trouble. Do the rest of the world a favor. Go about your business unarmed like the rest of the law abiding citizens. Don't let your paranoia get the best of you.
                            Wow where to even start on this one. So you don't feel the need to carry a gun.....great that's good for you. Newsflash, just because YOU don't see a need for something does not mean that no one ELSE does. Erie County may not be the wild west but I highly doubt there's never been a violent crime commited there.

Also the last time I checked there were hundreds of thousands of law abiding citizens who go about their business armed without causing problems. Is it paranoia to put your seatbelt on when you drive a car even though you've driven hundreds of times without crashing? How about paranoia to have a fire extinquisher in your house even though your house has never caught fire?

Why don't YOU do the world a favor and not attempt to force your opinions and beliefs on everyone else. There's a reason there are 32 flavors of ice cream.....cause everyone likes things differently.

Comment

Originally posted by duckfan
                              Have you ever heard of something called the Second Amendment? In case you haven't, it specifically guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Luckily, when they made the Constitution they didn't write it to say that an individual opinion could override it.
                              Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5557 users online. 317 members and 5240 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X