Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your dept. use to neutralizing biohazardous materials?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your dept. use to neutralizing biohazardous materials?

What is the best chemical and/or measure for neutralizing a large biohazard mess (i.e. blood) that is all over doors, walls and the floor?

~Redeye

Percept.

Might I ask why you are asking this?

***not a cop, but know how to clean blood...

Comment

It's been a while but we used good old fashioned bleach, straight out of the bottle. I don't think they've come up with anything better but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by medic_9
        Percept.

Might I ask why you are asking this?

***not a cop, but know how to clean blood...
        i was thinking the same,, smells like homicide needs to be called in.

Comment

Kind of a sketchy question, I agree.

Comment

*Pulls out current contact and takes a look*

Sorry, not in my job description.

Why not just call a company that specializes in this? Unless, you are referring to a bloody mess inside your PD, I see no reason for a Police Department to clean up at a crime scene.

Comment

Sketchy... nah, I'm harmless

I'm a Mobile Security Officer that patrols the ugly parts of town, in the middle of the night. I'm the first line, before the police, in many situations. Often, some drunk bum/idiot/whatever will get into a domestic dispute or a fight with some other drunk bum/idiot/whatever, and return home to bleed on the floor of the apartment building. In the process, they usually get blood on doorhandles, floor, wall, railings etc. Places that kids may end up touching or getting into, along with where I touch. I carry several pairs of latex gloves, just in case I run into a big mess, but, it'd be nice to have something to neutralize before the cleaners show up, usually around 1000. I'm done at 0500, so there's a big timeframe for someone to get into the mess, and possibly exposed to a disease, unless it's neutralized.

I don't want to clean it up, I just want to kill as much of the nasty that's in the blood as possible.

Comment

Percept is your best thing. This is what the ambulances and hospitals use. I'm not sure if it's still called percept but there are also handy wipes you can buy. They are in a neat little drum (kinda like an enlarged clorox wipe container) If it helps you make your decision percept was the thing that was the standard for cleaning during the SARS outbreak.

You would have to wipe up the blood first then apply Percept to kill the bacteria and gross stuff.

Here are some links to more info.
                http://www.virox.com/PDF/PerCept_Wipes_Spec_Sheet.pdf
                http://www.virox.com/PDF/PerCept_Spec_Sheet.pdf

Comment

Clean off all the blood first, then sterilize it with a 1/10 mixture of bleach water. Spray on the mixture and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then wipe off the bleach/water.

Comment

We call Hazmat... or Chemtrek 1800-424-9300 memorize it, its a possible question on the Ohio state exam (wink wink)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3264 users online. 164 members and 3100 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X