Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar debate

Folks,

Please settle an argument for me. A guy at work and I are debating whether a radar detector can "beat" instant-on radar.

He says it can but his answer is based on the fact that the detector will go off once the beam is detected.

I say, even if the beam is detected a speed has already been obtained. Plus, the driver's reflexes won't be fast enough to slow down in time when the detector goes off.

All knowledge and experiences are appreciated.

Thanks.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"

A good radar operator can burn you with "instant on" However, it doesn't really matter. By the time your detector has activated the cop has you in his/her sights. And if you get pulled over while using a dectector, you will almost certainly get a ticket.

Think of it ths way... The beep means, "the cops just got you"

Comment

It will register the speed at the same time the detector goes off. He won't have a chance to slow down.

Comment

Keep in mind that the radar beam is traveling at the speed of sound, so realistically, by the time the radar detector goes off, the beam has already bounced back to the radar and a reading obtained. Add in the 1.6 second reaction time, and you are toast. The only benefit a radar detector can give you is if it happens to detect a stray radar beam bouncing off something else, but the way the darn things go off all the time for nothing, they are really useless. To make things easier for your arguement, once I learned how the radar works I got rid of mine the same day.
        God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Not to be too technical but radar travels at the speed of light, which is 186,000 miles per second, not the speed of sound. That makes it even more difficult to get your foot to the brake pedal before I lock in the speed.
          Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

All a radar detector is good for is to let you know which stores have automatic opening doors

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
              Not to be too technical but radar travels at the speed of light, which is 186,000 miles per second, not the speed of sound. That makes it even more difficult to get your foot to the brake pedal before I lock in the speed.
              Not to be too technical, but RADAR works off of radio/sound waves, thus the wave travels at the speed of sound. LASER (or LIDAR) is infra-red light, so the beam there travels at the speed of light.

I agree, however, the difference is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Po-po
                Not to be too technical, but RADAR works off of radio/sound waves, thus the wave travels at the speed of sound. LASER (or LIDAR) is infra-red light, so the beam there travels at the speed of light.

Actually, PTI is correct. All electromagnetic radiation (including radio waves) travels at the speed of light, not the speed of sound. Check out this link.
                Last edited by mobrien316; 08-15-2005, 02:54 PM.
                Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Not to be too much of a dorkus, but I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. I will accept the floggings with a smile.

Comment

Not to be too much of a dorkus, but I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. I will accept the floggings with a smile.
                    Accepting a correction does NOT make one a dorkus!

Everyone makes mistakes. The only idiots are the ones who refuse to admit it.
                    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316
                      Accepting a correction does NOT make one a dorkus!

Everyone makes mistakes. The only idiots are the ones who refuse to admit it.
                      But I will still administer my flogging
                      Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Not to be too technical either. But Radar travels at approximately 186,000 miles per hour in a vacuum.

However, there is also another factor - obstruction and distortion. The greater wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation, the more likely it is to be distorted or obstructed. At that point, it doesn't matter what speed it travels at, but whether it travels at all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2765 users online. 116 members and 2649 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X