300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Yankee" Cops who work for Southern PD's

I'm curious what it's like for Southern cops who were born/raised in the Northern US. I talked with a buddy years ago who worked in FL, he said some guys down there thought the Civil War was still going on. I'm sure the annoying accent didn't help.

I have nightmares of country music playing 24/7 and people saying "I'm fixin' to...".

Also to the Southern cops- what are your impressions, humorous or otherwise of your Yankee brothers?
    Last edited by BrickCop; 08-14-2005, 09:07 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

in south fla, the only accents i run across are boston and new yorkers,

many yrs ago runnin around doing prisoner pic up's

in these smaller countys i noticed their accents. southern style

all treated me well....
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I was suprised to hear a southern draw around Rehoboth Beach Del. when I went with a friend to an interview down there.

Florida is more like the north than the south with the exception of the panhandle and the areas around the northern part of the state (I havent heard the civil war called the war of northern aggression since I was at Glynco).

Id say the south still lives on in many respects in many parts of Georgia, SC,NC,TN,MS etc...
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0
        Florida is more like the north than the south with the exception of the panhandle and the areas around the northern part of the state (I havent heard the civil war called the war of northern aggression since I was at Glynco).
        I hate to disagree here, but in the real Florida, it's still very much southern. Places like Orlando, Tampa, WPB, etc.. have been northernized, but get to the rural inland counties in central Florida and the rednecks are alive and well.

Comment

I was at a fire school in Atlanta and for part of the entertainment they had a couple guys dressed in full confederate gear, including weapons, at the hospitality room. One of the guys had two authentic antique rifles, so I started visiting with him.

He was drinking booze from a civil war tin cup, and was an ATF agent. He told me he hated the north and the federal gov't, but he'd take their check! He went on to say they re-enacted the fight at, I think Stone Mountain(?), but made sure the south won. He was kidding me, right?

Comment

It seems like a lot of guys from the northeast in particular, get fed up with the slow hiring process and make the move down south. I guess in some places you can go to a community college and get BLET certified then find a job with not much difficulty.

I was in that boat until I got this job. I was about 1 month away from packing it all up and moving to NC.
            Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
              Also to the Southern cops- what are your impressions, humorous or otherwise of your Yankee brothers?
              Other than the fact some of you New Englanders do have some strange (to us) verbiage, I think cops are cops pretty much nationwide.

Originally posted by BrickCop
              I have nightmares of country music playing 24/7 and people saying "I'm fixin' to...".
              I don't listen to country music all that much, but I do say "fixin' to....." alot. I also say "Ya'll", I "cut off" lights & TVs, and I "mash" buttons.

As far as The War Between the States still going on, I think that attitude is pretty much confined to rural areas, and even then in limited doses. But then again, everybody else in Georgia thinks Atlanta just ought to leave the state altogether.

Originally posted by SinePari
              It seems like a lot of guys from the northeast in particular, get fed up with the slow hiring process and make the move down south. I guess in some places you can go to a community college and get BLET certified then find a job with not much difficulty.
              I don't know about the community college thing....most of the larger departments have their own academies, and smaller ones send their people to one if the regional state-run academies. My department hires alot of guys (and girls) from up north and the midwest who are frustrated with long hiring processes. They come here and get hired, go through 24 weeks of academy, 12 weeks of field training, then sit back & wait for their hometown PD to call since they've been on the waiting list.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3989 users online. 236 members and 3753 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X