300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving While Suspended

This is a 'my friend' question. Because no i'm not retarded and drive while drinking. Anyway back in April I believe he was pulled over for A) buying alcohol for minors and B) driving while way over the legal limit. He was charged with DUI and his license was suspended for 12 months. At about the 3 month mark he decided to drive (for the first time), was pulled over for broken tailight, and it was found out his license was suspended and he was arrested again.

His question was - Are they going to suspend his license for an even longer period of time, since he was caught DWS? Thanks
    Last edited by Brav989; 08-14-2005, 02:41 PM.

I dont know about WA but here in VA if you are caught driving on suspended OL, your license is taken away for a year and you will probably get a hefyty fine and some days in Jail

Comment

Why do people who are breaking the law make themselves stand out like an eye sore with an equipment failure. That is just stupid.

Comment

I agree toby! Last night one of our officers had 2 arrests. Both for supended drivers... he got the first off dead inspection and the second off dead tags! Cmon now!

Comment

In my county, he would get 45 days, one year added to his revokation, and possibly have his car seized.

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
            Why do people who are breaking the law make themselves stand out like an eye sore with an equipment failure. That is just stupid.

Thats because many are just Stupid....Stupid people keep us in business
            retired, NOT retarded

Comment

He will have to serve the original DUI jail time and a further suspension with additional jail time plus fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                He will have to serve the original DUI jail time and a further suspension with additional jail time plus fine.
                He never got any jail time..other than the overnight he spent. Just had to pay some big fine and have his license suspended. Could the suspended license thing possibly get him some jail time?

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989
                  He never got any jail time..other than the overnight he spent. Just had to pay some big fine and have his license suspended. Could the suspended license thing possibly get him some jail time?
                  He might have received credit for the night spent in jail and the remainder of the sentence could have been suspended. If that is the case, he might have to serve the remainder of the suspended sentence.

A second conviction could bring jail time and that would be served in addition to the suspended sentence.

In short, you

Comment

Originally posted by winq
                    Thats because many are just Stupid....Stupid people keep us in business
                    I have heard people who would get pulled over due to dead tags or something simple like that, and would have 100 pounds of MJ on them. What the hell are these people thinking.

Why not just go to the cop shop, and say this is what I got and please arrest me for it.

Comment

Driving while suspended

Sounds like another mental midget is alive and well. Driving while suspended is an additional and seperate charge with a hefty fine. In many cases, repeated offenses can become a 'bottomless pit". In Alabama, re-instatement costs a small fortune, and often times results in an on the spot arrest for other unpaid traffic tickets, or warrants for criminal charges. As Judge Joe Brown says, "People need to TCB". It's amazing how many don't.

Comment

Types of Indiana driver

DWLS-Infraction. Same as any other traffic ticket. No arrest or jail time

DWLS Prior-Driving while still suspended with a previous conviction. Misdemeanor Court summons

DWLS Misdemeanor- Driving with multiple convictions while still suspended. Jail

DWLS-Habitual Traffic Violator. Horrendous traffic record, multiple DWI

Comment

Up here, your friend would have probably had his driving record "flagged" for impoundment, so on top of the criminal charge of Driving While Prohibited (minimum $600 Canadian fine to maximum $2000 fine PLUS 6 months gaol) I would have the authority to impound the vehicle he was driving (no matter who the owner is) for a minimum of 30 to 60 days. The vehicle could NOT be sold, the licence plates could NOT be transferred, and NOTHING could be removed from the vehicle, except what he was wearing, or a device that a physically challenged person requires to operate a vehicle, or a child safety seat.

Thank goodness for "clients" like this - other than if we were in Detroit (and I am VERY sorry to hear about their pending lay-offs), we should all continue to have jobs thanks to them.
                          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                          "Smile" - no!

Comment

Driving while suspended

I neglected to add, that if stopped for a violation, in Alabama, the computer shows your license revoked, that's an additional charge, plus a mandatory impound. The vehicle is impounded regardless of ownership. Our impound is not as stringent as in Canada, wish it where, but a major inconvenience anyway. We have a good thing going in Alabama, in that the Dept of Public Safety (State Police) also issues driver's licenses. When a subject applies for re-instatement,he is automatically run for wants. It never ceased to amaze me how many people simply don't take care of business, and fail to clear up outstanding warrants.traffic citations etc. Not only is their license not re -instated, but they end up in the county jail awaiting pick up by the agency wanting them. They don't get re-instated untill ALL outstanding charges are cleared up.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                              I neglected to add, that if stopped for a violation, in Alabama, the computer shows your license revoked, that's an additional charge, plus a mandatory impound. The vehicle is impounded regardless of ownership. Our impound is not as stringent as in Canada, wish it where, but a major inconvenience anyway. We have a good thing going in Alabama, in that the Dept of Public Safety (State Police) also issues driver's licenses. When a subject applies for re-instatement,he is automatically run for wants. It never ceased to amaze me how many people simply don't take care of business, and fail to clear up outstanding warrants.traffic citations etc. Not only is their license not re -instated, but they end up in the county jail awaiting pick up by the agency wanting them. They don't get re-instated untill ALL outstanding charges are cleared up.
                              The authority for impoundment varies from Province to Province - I have no idea what other Provinces' authorities in this regard are.

The Police are NOT involved in issuing drivers licences in any Provinces in Canada, but here in Saskatchewan, the vast majority of driving offences (speeding, seat belt, intersection controls) can result in convictions-by-default if the "client" fails to pay the voluntary fine and then fails to attend Court. When the "client" tries to renew their licence (annually at the end of their birth month), the issuer can NOT renew same until the "client" pays up their outstanding fines. Unfortunately, this provision does NOT include outstanding fines for other Provincial Statutes (liquor, wildlife) nor Federal Statutes (drugs) or Criminal Code (theft, impaired driving, B&E), nor outstanding arrest warrants for PS, FS or CC offences.
                              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                              "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3951 users online. 248 members and 3703 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X