300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Protection

What would you consider adequate gear to carry, for a security guard (mobile) working alone, in an area of town that has 2 units (3+ officers) attend when the police are called?

Thanks,
    Redeye

What you can legally carry of course.

There are quite a few canucks that post here, perhaps they'll know what security guards can and can't carry.

Here you have to be certified to carry OC, same with a baton, and of course special certification for sidearm which is hard to get for security guards.
    Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeye
      What would you consider adequate gear to carry, for a security guard (mobile) working alone, in an area of town that has 2 units (3+ officers) attend when the police are called?

Thanks,
      Redeye
      A cell phone with the local PD on speed-dial. Maybe a camera if you get a lot of property damage.

I didn't know the police in Canada hired security guards. Weird.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
        A cell phone with the local PD on speed-dial. Maybe a camera if you get a lot of property damage.

I didn't know the police in Canada hired security guards. Weird.
        Police in Canada don't hire security guards, we call them, and they bring the heavies in to quell the problems.

Comment

Last edited by MAD_MAX333; 12-23-2005, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAD_MAX333
            i say carry an ASP or standard baton, but most importantly carry your BRAIN... security these days in Canada are regarded as mobile cameras, you are to observe, write down and report.. That is it.

Heh... yea, I get the same speech on a weekly basis, even though we're told to knock on doors, and make the initial attempt to remove unwanted persons from sites. They say on thing, but when there's trouble, they won't back you. Typical corporate behavior.

~Redeye

Comment

Originally posted by Redeye

Thanks,
              Redeye
              Binoculars and a video camera with a telephoto lens.

Comment

Last edited by MAD_MAX333; 12-23-2005, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Hey max, c'mon...as security officers, we're guests on this forum. The police are doing their job, just like we try to. They don't make policy, it's over-zealous politicians who have never set foot in the places that security officers, or police officers have the major problems. If you really got inside everything, I'm sure the police have as much, or even more bull**** to deal with than we do. As S/O's, we work for companies just trying to make money. The LEO's have to try and please:

a) The superiors
                  b) Politicians
                  c) Citizens
                  d) Security Officers (who are a major pain in the @$$ with calling for help, for no reason)
                  e) The Law

As security guards... we just have to abide by the law, and keep the bean counters happy. We don't have much else to deal with. I'm more than happy when the police respond to help me, and I don't have any problem with the fact that they carry 4 times the protective equipment that I do. I have a problem with being told to be the front line, and at the end of the day, have myself considered just another number.

The uniform I wear is somewhat similar to some police uniforms, and I'll employ some of their tactics when dealing with situations, but I don't want to be a 'rent-a-cop', and I don't want to step on their toes. The problem comes from Super-Guards doing absolutely stupid things, and making a situation far worse, then needing police to save their sorry butts.

As a mobile officer, I can identify with some of the feelings the police have, as I've responded to a desperate backup call, only to find some pothead sucking on a reefer in a shadow. (That's what a flashlight is for... light scares most of the vermin away.)

//end rant.

Sorry if I stepped on any LEO's toes. I appreciate what you do every day.

~Redeye

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3115 users online. 149 members and 2966 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X