300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fault?

I just got back from dropping my friend off at a store and this is what happened. We are driving down a residential street heading towards a four lane main street, I make a right after I come to a stop at the stopsign and fifteen feet to the right of the sign is the entrance to the parking lot of the shopping center. So its basically make a turn then a second later make another turn. So after I make my first turn at the sign I see someone coming up on me very fast and I slow down to make the sharp right turn into the lot to avoid going into the exit lane and possibly hitting something. I never had my turn signal off, the second I finished the first turn I had it on again so the speeder behind me knew I was making a turn, even though on short notice. So I make the turn into the lot and its a cop, he shines his spotlight on me and turns his lights on and follows me in. I stop in the lot and he pulls up beside me and tells me that "I nearly caused an accident" then sped off out of the parking lot. I didn't cut infront of him when I turned at the sign and I didn't know he was a cop until the light shined on me. Basically he was speeding and barely slowed down enough to not rear-end me while I was making my signaled turn. Was I really at fault? Or and I somehow wrong?

It could have been a right of way violation. If you are at a stop sign and pull out into free flowing lanes you have to do it in a manner that does not cause oncoming traffic to slow, stop or take evasive action. However, if the other vehicle was in fact driving at an unsafe speed you both could be found at fault. Sorry, I dont have my Vehicle Code with my or I would find the section for you.

Comment

Well its not like he gave me a ticket or anything, its more of a peace of mind thing so don't spend time looking for the section. But when I turned there was no one as far as my eye could see (the road curves around trees at around 50 or so feet) so there was no way I saw him, but he wasn't paying attention or something because he got right on my *** then went to "about to be rear ended" status when I put the brakes on to make the turn.

Comment

I'm interested in your avatar...

what statement are you making with it?

As far as your question goes, it is pretty much impossible to make traffic rules for every circumstance, such as pulling out of private property and needing to cross 4 lanes to get into a turn lane...

if the law said you must signal for 100 feet per lane, then you would be 400 ft down the road and through the intersection before you arrived at your destination...

plus the officer may have been in a hurry to get somewhere that did not justify lights and siren, like a theft in progress call...

is a theft in progress call an emergency? no, then you are not justified in using lights and siren, but you want to get there quickly never the less...

when driving, you have to allow for the unusual to keep yourself out of trouble...like the old commercial used to say "don't be dead-right", i.e. a person who has the right of way, yet doesn't check for traffic and gets hit...

Comment

It's hard to say who was more at fault unless I was there at the time. I speculate you would likely be at fault if there had been a crash since you are required to make sure you have plenty of room to make any change of course or turn safely. Whether the other vehicle is speeding is not really an excuse in these cases since you are required to properly judge the other car's speed and react properly to prevent a crash. Since you were making a turn onto another roadway, the other vehicle had right of way. Fortunately, no crash and no ticket.
          God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Thanks for the info and my avatar is a statement agaisnt iPods and Iraq. Both are bad so theres my statement =] (Incase you didn't know thats the outline of that "Abu-grad" woman guard dragging the prisoner) and also its a little dark humor =]

Comment

Originally posted by Da Po-po
              It's hard to say who was more at fault unless I was there at the time. I speculate you would likely be at fault if there had been a crash since you are required to make sure you have plenty of room to make any change of course or turn safely. Whether the other vehicle is speeding is not really an excuse in these cases since you are required to properly judge the other car's speed and react properly to prevent a crash. Since you were making a turn onto another roadway, the other vehicle had right of way. Fortunately, no crash and no ticket.
              Yea but thats the only way into the parking lot, I didn't see him until I made the turn and i had my signal going the whole time. Strange situation indeed, oh well no ticket no problems

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5472 users online. 291 members and 5181 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X