Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jailer

Good evening all,

I am new to the board and have found it to be very helpful in my ultimate quest to becoming an LEO for the LAPD.

I just turned 25 and my goal is to be in the academy by 27. I have a few debts to clear up and I am as good as gold.

Recentley I have begun to call local Agencies in my area and asked them if they had any other openings other then patrol officer and one of them told me they are looking for jailers. The starting pay is 3700 a month and the officer is mailing me the app. Before I could ask him what the duties were I was disconnected. I tried looking on google but I had no such luck. My question is what exactly are the duties of a jailer? Will it give me some good expirience?

Here's the job description from Santa Monica PD.

Under minimal supervision, performs various duties associated with the maintenance and operation of a jail facility. Performs other administrative and clerical duties, as directed.

MAJOR DUTIES:
    Takes custody of prisoners from arresting officers.

Controls the movement and activities of prisoners.

Searches prisoners.

Books and processes prisoners including photographing and fingerprinting.

Transports prisoners and releases prisoners after performing thorough record checks.

Ensures the security, health, safety and well-being of prisoners.

Serves meals to prisoners.

Assists officers in quelling disturbances and maintaining order in the facility.

Performs routine clerical duties related to custodies and the facility.

Performs related duties as assigned.

Note: Female jailers accompany male officers during interviews of female prisoners.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
    Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:

Knowledge of:
    Clerical practices and procedures.

Ability to:
    Read, comprehend and apply basic penal and vehicle codes and court procedures.

Learn and apply first aid techniques.
    Handle prisoners under difficult and stressful conditions.
    Understand departmental policy and procedures.
    Follow written and oral instructions.
    Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
    Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with City employees and the public.

Skill in:
    Operating motor vehicles and office equipment.
    Using personal computers.

Education, Training and Experience:

Graduation from high school or equivalent.

One year of work experience involving public contact. Experience working for a police department is desirable.

Licenses and Certificates:

Possession of a valid California Class C driver license.

SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION:
    SUPERVISION RECEIVED:

Works under supervision of the Jail Manager and, when necessary, sworn police personnel who outline work and frequently and carefully review work.

SUPERVISION EXERCISED:

Exercises indirect supervision over custodial staff and sworn personnel when in the jail, including enforcing rules and regulations, and providing information and instruction.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by FutureCop316
      Will it give me some good expirience?
      Yes. When I worked at the SO we had housing units that contained upwards of 110 inmates and the only thing between me and them is a red line painted on the floor. When I interviewed for my police position one of the questions asked is "How many people do you supervise at your current job?" While many applicants coming in from other police agencies could only reply 4 or 5 on average... my answer? 110. Every day.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Im definatly going to go for it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4825 users online. 293 members and 4532 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X