300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-9

I want to be a K-9 cop when I become an officer. How does one go about doing this? Any advice you want to give? Really, I'll read any information so post whatever you want to, even if it is a cute/cool/funny story about your k-9 partner.
    Thanks, y'all.

Coming from a member of a very involved K-9 family... I am just going to keep this simple.

As with any special assignment, you first must be a Patrolman with the agency. On average you will need to perform satifactorily in that position for 1 to 5 years before you are even eligible to apply for a special position. Once you fulfill that requirement then you wait for an opening to come up. Once one does you apply for it through your chain of command. If you pass that... then you move on to handler school. Pass that and you are a Canine Officer.
    sigpic

Comment

It also helps a lot if you marry the Chief's ugly daughter. Seriously though, get some formal and accredited training as a dog handler. The Air Force has(or at least did have) an excellent program. Even then, you can expect to spend many years on patrol before getting a shot. Unless of course, you marry the Chief's ugly daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by duckfan
        It also helps a lot if you marry the Chief's ugly daughter. Seriously though, get some formal and accredited training as a dog handler. The Air Force has(or at least did have) an excellent program. Even then, you can expect to spend many years on patrol before getting a shot. Unless of course, you marry the Chief's ugly daughter.
        That isn't an option unless the Chief has an ugly son...

Comment

Originally posted by Praetorian
          That isn't an option unless the Chief has an ugly son...

Could move to Vermont.
          "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by webjeep
            Could move to Vermont.
            ...Vermont's chief has an ugly son?

Comment

Originally posted by duckfan
              The Air Force has(or at least did have) an excellent program. Even then, you can expect to spend many years on patrol before getting a shot.

They still have an excellent K9 unit. I was apart of it for nearly 4 years. And just an FYI, I was handling my K9 just over a year after I graduated BMT.

Its a good option for experiance and training. As for the local PD side of the spectrum, you can expect to put in your 2-5 years of patrol, and hope that a K9 slot opens ( which they dont ) becuase guys ussually hang on to that position. Then remember that you are going to have 30+ other officers wanting to get selected for that 1 opening. Having prior training/experiance is highly desired, as is a damn near perfect patrol record. The K9 LT. will want you have your own home with large finced back yard, and prove that you are responsible enough to handle him/her.

Good luck
              Irish Toasts
              When we drink, we get drunk.
              When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
              When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
              When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
              So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Comment

Become an excellent street cop first. The dog will come later if you want it.

FYI, some departments don't want officers with previous K9 training. They prefer new officers with no handling experience so they can be taught "their" way.

K9
                Last edited by K9 Police; 08-13-2005, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. My dad is former Air Force and was telling me about their K-9 program. And my brother's dad is a Sheriff that used to breed German Shepards for their police dept.
                  I'll have to think about the Air Force...
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Police
                    Become an excellent street cop first. The dog will come later if you want it.

FYI, some departments don't want officers with previous K9 training. They prefer new officers with no handling experience so they can be taught "their" way.

K9

Good point K9... I thought about that after I posted, but was just too lazy to go back an edit.

Sometimes no experiance is better...
                    Irish Toasts
                    When we drink, we get drunk.
                    When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
                    When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
                    When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
                    So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5877 users online. 328 members and 5549 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X