300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Investigation Need Info

I am in the hiring process For the Department of Corrections to become a Corrections Officer. I have passed the written and the oral.. tomorrow begins my background investigation. I have told the recruiting LT anything I could remember to see if I would be disqualified and he said no.

My question is this. When they call my Three non family, non employer references (friends) what will they ask? One of my references is a 77yr old woman who is HIGHLY proper and religious. She has known me my entire life.

I told her they would ask her about my morals and if I have a criminal history.
    She became worried about this because I have been married more than once.
    To her this is a crime of Morals. I told her this is not what they are looking for.. and that mostly they want to know if I use drugs or get into other illegal activities. She really wants to know what they may ask before she agrees to this. She doesn't want to say the wrong thing and she will ramble on.. I just know she will. However, I trust her too.. she knows better then anyone that I am a great mom, citizen, and that I have overcome a TON of crap in my family and I turned out just fine.

What should I give her the heads up on? I don't want to put her in a position she isn't comfortable with. She is quite chatty and will definetly lead them on a journey... I have nothing to hide.. but she is worried that I am immoral because of marriages.. What can I say to her to make her understand this is not what they are looking for... I already asked her to be brief in her responses and answer honestly to what she is asked.. I asked her not to give extra info as they know their job and what is needed..

Any advice? What questions might they ask her? I really don't have other references to use above the three I have as my family sucks and I do not tolerate idiots in my life anymore.. so needless to say... I lost alot of "friends"

Thanks to all who reply...
    Last edited by bugsybutt; 08-11-2005, 09:29 PM.

Don't worry about it. Any good BI has interviewed all kinds of folks, just tell her to be honest and be herself. If she rambles on or starts quoting scriptures the BI will know how to handle it and will put whatever she says in context.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

BrickCop.. thanks for your response... but do you know what types of questions she will be asked? Is it just basic stuff like criminal history and am I a good citizen? This dept only asks the names and cities of family members but will they ask her about my family? If so.. I am automatically barred because my family is awful? I don't even live by them.. I only speak to them when necessary and it is civil. If they ask her about them.. am I screwed?
      We are talking just in my immediate family.. three felons, two druggies, one transexual who sued the hell out of another state, one with multiple personality disorder said to be because she was so abused by my family, and one who got it for terroristic threats when he was young.

I NEVER did anything like them. I saw how they were at a very early age and got away as soon as I could. Will they see that I am actually a good candidate because I overcame all of that and live a good life despite them?
      That I was strong enough to do the right thing even though it always bit me in the foot? Will that show my charactor or hurt me?

Types of questions? I know she won't ramble about scriptures.. jeez I hope she knows not too.. but in her opinion women should not be working in such environments if working at all. However, she knows I have LE training, am an EMT, and I am Hazwoper certified. She knows I can do this.. but is her "opinion" going to get the better of them and DQ me real fast?

Again, I have been honest, told the LT everything I could think of before I began this journey, but something is not sitting right with me and I can't for the life of me figure it out.. maybe just general nerves... I am really worried about what her opinion will do to my career. What my family's past will cause even though I am not them. I am getting very tired of fighting for my career when it was my family and not me in the first place.

Comment

I'm not going to give you detailed answers because you'll only agonize over everything and post more nerve rattling questions. No answers will prevent your hand wringing over this.

Did you answer everything accurately and honestly? If so there is nothing more you can do at this point so be patient. Stop beating yourself up with worry.

You do have some interesting family members but again any BI worth his salt will be able to determine what type of person you are as it relates to consideration for appointment.
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

That's true BrickCop.. I hope they actually are "worth their salt."

I have fought my entire life for what I believe and to make myself a worthwhile person.. I hope that shines through... That's about all I can hope for.. I hate it when things are out of my hands... Yes, control issue.. I know.
          hehe... thanks for your reply... read some of your other posts.. you seem pretty genuine and helpful.. thanks for being there.

Comment

i dont know what state youre in, but in GA they are in need of CO's so bad.. they dont even bother calling people for refrences. If you pass the in depth back ground check, you're hired.

Comment

Background info

Rest assurred that your BI has dealt with the type person you described. It shouldn't be a problem. In short, don't lose any sleep over it.

Comment

Thanks to all of you who responded. I spoke with the recruiting LT again and he told me not to worry that from all the truths I told him he isn't concerned.
                When I turned in my background papers he ripped one of the pages out and told me to redo it with less truth.. well, not less truth, but just more is less. So I did. I will know in two weeks. He did tell me that their agency no longer does the background checks but that the FBI does them now.

Now, one more thing, is this odd only to me?? The LT called me from his HOME phone and just started chatting away. Told me I seemed interesting given my past, and that he could just talk to me for hours, and ask me lots of questions, of things I have gone through, and things he has always wanted to ask someone that has had my background (Deeply personal stuff,)
                and then he continued to tell me about some things that are going on in his life, such as a very serious illness his wife has, and things like that. He also said we should go to lunch sometime and that even though he is on vacation dealing with his wifes serious illness for two weeks, that he would call me and keep me updated on my background and just to chat. I have only met this guy twice DURING the hiring process.

Now, I am female, not ugly by any means, is this how I am going to get the job? THAT SUCKS ****! I am so mad that people assume crap about me.
                Do you guys think I am right and he is definetly making passes.. or do you guys think this is some sneaky and VERY STUPID trick to find out info on me?
                I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt.. but I am not naive.

No matter what... if this is an LT hitting on me... I will not turn him in as that would set me up to never work in this area again. FRICKEN A! Why why why!

Comment

FWIW, all of my BI contacts received a form in the mail with questions like "Have you ever known the applicant to lose his temper?" "Has the applicant ever acted violently in your experience?" "IS the applicant of good moral charcter?", etc. I seriously doubt any of them ever spoke with a human being. If one response was "off", maybe the BI would have called to clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by MattCO
                    i dont know what state youre in, but in GA they are in need of CO's so bad.. they dont even bother calling people for refrences. If you pass the in depth back ground check, you're hired.
                    Wouldn't an in-depth background check, by nature, include checking references?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2773 users online. 179 members and 2594 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X