Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police radios and antennas

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police radios and antennas

    Whenever I see a police car around Newport News, VA it always has anywhere from 2-6 antennas all over it. I was just wondering what kind of devices police officers have in their cars that require 6 antennas. It's my understanding that most pd's have abandoned CB radios for VHF. Is this true and are radios the only things that need antennas in a cruiser?

  • #2
    two-way radio,,cb, scanner, some have cell (bag) phones, and the more it antennas the more it whistles, i had four on mine, but i dont know what the fourth was for

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gotthblues
      two-way radio,,cb, scanner, some have cell (bag) phones, and the more it antennas the more it whistles, i had four on mine, but i dont know what the fourth was for
      You were "Trooper'd Out!" refering to the fact you had an antenna for nothing!!! LOL, I think OHP broke their guys of that for the most part now.

      JOSH; it varies from department to department. Here is a listing of how the cars here are setup:
      • 800mhz Radio with Antenna
      • GPS Tracking Antenna
      • Laptop 800mhz antenna


      Now I say "antenna," but don't use antennas here and instead use a lil white "doughnut" in front of the lightbar for the GPS and two slightly bigger black disc for the radio and laptop located behind the lightbar.

      For other agencies... who knows, scanners, UHF radio, VHF radio, CB, HAM, Lo-Jack, you name it, and thats what the antenna could be for.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        We have 2 antennaes on the roof. we have our police radio which is now on the county dispatch and we have another radio which os for other departments not connected to our county dispatch, Our computers have a antenna built into the side so we only have 2 on the roof. The PD just north of me has I think 4 anntennas and I like the look of it They also cover 3 different towns where I only cover 1.
        I got nothing for now

        Comment


        • #5
          [QUOTE=ZGXtreme]You were "Trooper'd Out!" refering to the fact you had an antenna for nothing!!! LOL, I think OHP broke their guys of that for the most part now.

          i think the extra one was to break off and use as a night stick,,,
          i had forgotten about that, the troopers,, i saw one that had 6 stickin up,,man that thing was loud.

          Comment


          • #6
            In my experience, the number of antennas doesn't always reflect how many radios are in the car. Our sheriff's office has four antennas just for one radio, because it's microwave. Also, larger departments (Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.), have LO-JAC detectors in their cruisers, which will be indicated by four to six antennas in a square cluster, usually on the roof behind the lightbar. The devices require the cluster of antennas to work for whatever reason. Otherwise, the folks here are right - could be an MDT or MCT, two or three radios, a scanner, maybe even a CB (cops in the south still use CBs on the highways).
            "Avoid the summertime blues"

            "Show me your friends, and I'll show you who you are."

            Comment


            • #7
              If they have a LOJACK receiver there will be four antennae mounted on the roof in a square pattern. Most of the 800mhz systems use an antenna that looks like a cell phone ant. Some cars that run MDT's will have an additional ant for them depending on how their system is set up. Most cars in VA will have a low band ant (big bastard) for SIRS (statewide radio). Some guys have CB's and have one for that, and some have scanners and have another for that.

              My car now has three, low band, high band (400mhz which is being phased out), and the 800mhz ant on the roof behind the light bar.

              A car I used to have had 4 for lojack, 1 high band, 1 cel for MDT, 1 cel for personal, 1 low band (SIRS), 1 scanner, 1 CB for a total of 10. Looked like a damned porcupine on acid.

              -web
              "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by webjeep
                If they have a LOJACK receiver there will be four antennae mounted on the roof in a square pattern. Most of the 800mhz systems use an antenna that looks like a cell phone ant. Some cars that run MDT's will have an additional ant for them depending on how their system is set up. Most cars in VA will have a low band ant (big bastard) for SIRS (statewide radio). Some guys have CB's and have one for that, and some have scanners and have another for that.

                My car now has three, low band, high band (400mhz which is being phased out), and the 800mhz ant on the roof behind the light bar.

                A car I used to have had 4 for lojack, 1 high band, 1 cel for MDT, 1 cel for personal, 1 low band (SIRS), 1 scanner, 1 CB for a total of 10. Looked like a damned porcupine on acid.

                -web
                10 dang, bet that sounded like a wind chime.

                Comment


                • #9
                  every once in a while I see a neighboring agency with a 5 foot whip antenna.

                  My cruiser only has three... one for radio, one for computer and one for the body mic receiver (VCR). the radio and computer antenna is only 1 foot high and the VCR is only 3 inches.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JHoek
                    every once in a while I see a neighboring agency with a 5 foot whip antenna.

                    My cruiser only has three... one for radio, one for computer and one for the body mic receiver (VCR). the radio and computer antenna is only 1 foot high and the VCR is only 3 inches.
                    sounds like you have "antenna envy",,,

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We are switching over to 800 right now and instead of ordering the hockey pucks or some other sort of low profile antenna they decided to be cheap and go with the same 14" cell phone looking hard mount antenna for investigations so all of our unmarked cars look like RC cars running around with some stupid cell phone looking thing sticking out of the middle of the roof
                      "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I like my hockey puck.
                        "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

                        ME

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah, the hockey pucks are nice... don't have to worry bout breaking the damn things. Does look wierd on the Lt's slicktops though... you have a black and white, with the lil white (GPS) puck on the front middle of the roof then the two black (Laptop and radio) pucks toward the rear. Just looks funny for some reason.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by webjeep
                            If they have a LOJACK receiver there will be four antennae mounted on the roof in a square pattern.
                            So THAT's what that square arrangement is...You've just answered a question I'd wondered about for years. Thanks.
                            "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Those were the days, having 6-8 antennas on the ohp cars lol

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3557 users online. 166 members and 3391 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X