300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for NYS Peace Officers...

Among the dozen or so agencies I have applied / tested / testing with one of them is a peace officer position here in my great state of New York. Now I know that not all peace officers are the same when it comes to enforcing the law like a court deputy, college or a small town public safety dept, fire police, or the SPCA. Lets say you are working for a college or a small town public safety dept. and you respond to 911 calls, can enforce traffic laws, have that NYS
    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Wait for the Police. Let them get the door open.

Comment

food for thought

yes not all peace officers in NY are the same..... but if you are a fully swown peace officer of the state you have the same authority as a police officer.... the agency your work for usually will outline your juristiction, powers and duties... And just to be techinical... all "Police Officers" are "Peace Officers"......... You will be suprised who's official title is peace officer in the state of new york...... the officers you see with the traffic vest displaying "POLICE" while going thru tolls (NY Tribourough & Tunnel Authority) are peace officers, FBI agents are peace officers as are most federal agents... that is just an example, but there are so many officers with the patch saying Police and their badge saying Police officer that are defined as peace officers in the CPL and penal code..... this is something i was taught when i graduated from the academy... always remember this " all police officers are peace officers, but not all peace officers are police officers".... its all depends on your agency, it's juristriction, authority and duties.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCde
        yes not all peace officers in NY are the same..... but if you are a fully swown peace officer of the state you have the same authority as a police officer.... the agency your work for usually will outline your juristiction, powers and duties... And just to be techinical... all "Police Officers" are "Peace Officers"......... You will be suprised who's official title is peace officer in the state of new york...... the officers you see with the traffic vest displaying "POLICE" while going thru tolls (NY Tribourough & Tunnel Authority) are peace officers, FBI agents are peace officers as are most federal agents... that is just an example, but there are so many officers with the patch saying Police and their badge saying Police officer that are defined as peace officers in the CPL and penal code..... this is something i was taught when i graduated from the academy... always remember this " all police officers are peace officers, but not all peace officers are police officers".... its all depends on your agency, it's juristriction, authority and duties.
        TBTA's vests say OFFICER, not POLICE.

Comment

Originally posted by SWH
          TBTA's vests say OFFICER, not POLICE.

Yes, your right about the vests, but BTO's have peace officer status, same as police while on duty only.
          retired, NOT retarded

Comment

so...

... so how to you ID your self then if your fully sworn. Do you say, "stop peace officer" or "stop police" (because most people don't know what a peace officer is.) Do they wear vests that say "police" on them? Because I've seen the "police" license plates on the cars.

i just want to know cuz one of the depts I'm testing with in NYS is for a peace officer position. I would like to try and stay not far from home.
            "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

SWH..... indeed you are right, but i have seen some at the battery with "police" on the traffic vest.... but still you are right... as well as WING.... you are right too.... for TBTA Officers are peace officers, and i think they do have full police powers. But, back to josh... did you not rerad what i said.... a peace officer has police powers (depending on what agency you are with).. and no you dont shout peace officer... dont move. Technically you can, but do you see DEA agents shouting peace officer when they raid a perps dwelling.... and does it really matter to you what your title is? A title dont really mean anything ... it's what you are paid (salary). I mean, i remember when guys in NYPD were jumping to become sergeants (including myself) for a salary increase, but boy did we have to work hard for it for that salary once we got the gold shield; yet a Patrolman can get a decetive tin and get paid the same salary for less work and headache etc.... i also know some guys that are police officers, but their salary is only in the mere 20's... some agencies pay diddly squat (check some of the salaries posted in the jobs section of this site) ....and i am not ashamed to say i am a Parking Enforcement Officer (modern day title for "meter maid"...lol ) no rank either, just a simple ticketman....but guess what? i am paid over $37,000 (this does not include OT) for a monday to friday gig.... no weekends, no rotating shifts and i only work 0700-1500.... and many agencies pay less then what i make for the position of police officer..... why would i want to work harder for less money? But then again maybe the title "Police Officer" means a lot to you. dont get me wrong, $37,000 is nothing to brag about, but for what i do.... you cant beat that
              Last edited by NYCdel; 08-14-2005, 10:28 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6833 users online. 364 members and 6469 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X