300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scuba Diving in Law Enforcement

Hi, I'm down in Florida, and I was wondering if there are any jobs in Law Enforcement that relates to Scuba Diving. Thanks.

There are forensic classes in underwater evidence recovery and search. Many agencies that have water have dive teams for rescue and recovery. I've been on a few dives looking for discarded weapons and other such stuff. Usually it is in the nastiest, foulest, darkest, coldest water around.

Snatched a few bodies out too, pretty ugly when they're not fresh.

-web
    Last edited by webjeep; 08-11-2005, 01:36 PM.
    "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

We have a 8-10 person dive team (all full blown cops) who do underwater crime scene type stuff when necessary.
      "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

We also have a dive team, however, their primary function is body recovery. Several people have drown along the Lake Michigan shore during this summer. It is not a job that I would want.

Comment

I have used our state police dive team to recovered evidence that was disposed of in bodies of water. They do a good job. It is not what I would consider a fun dive. Like was said above, the conditions are never good, and the water is rank.
          "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

You can practice to be a Police Scuba diver by diving in your neighbor's septic tank. Got the picture?

Comment

Very well articulated Duckfan I couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

We have an excellent dive school in Ohio that even has their own lake with a sunken school bus and cars for practice.
                But most dive teams here are all volunteer that buy their own gear...

Some larger firedepartmenst have dive teams that are reg firfighters & paramedics when not needed for water recovery etc., They are paid OT or reg pay depending if the are on or off duty at time of need.

Comment

ah alright, well thanks for painting the picture for me, especially you duckfan, lol. Maybe I'll get more satisfaction and enjoyment if I just try my luck in the Navy S.E.A.L.'s.

Comment

Well, it would certainly be more exciting!!!

Originally posted by Naui21
                    ah alright, well thanks for painting the picture for me, especially you duckfan, lol. Maybe I'll get more satisfaction and enjoyment if I just try my luck in the Navy S.E.A.L.'s.
                    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Being a divemaster and having dived professionaly in the military and civilian worlds I will say that recreational diving is a completely different world than professional diving. Diving in fire/rescue/LE is usually slow methodical technical diving in foul conditions looking for something that you really do not want to find. Diving in the military is typically transportation, it is not relaxing, you drop in at point A and swim your *** off to point B. Some of the gear is pretty cool, but the rebreather concept is a bit scary.

Don't get me wrong, I love diving, any kind, I am happier underwater than in most other places. I have over 2k hours bottom time, but it aint all fun and games and pretty fish. If you truly love it, go for it, but don't expect to be walking to the reefs in the Turks every day.

-web
                      "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Our diveteam is an "on call" type situation, meaning we all perform our various law enforcement assignments. But are called out to do our dive team duties when the need arises.

We search for weapons or other evidence, recover stolen items that were thrown in the water, cars in the water, and bodies. We also assist Customs in searching ports and ships from time to time.

Duckfans analagy to diving in a septic tank is not far off. About 90% of my diving is zero to very little visibilty, and most functions are done by "feel". Often I find things by bumping into them, I rarely see what I find while in the water. Most of the waterways are also choked with weeds adding another dimension. It also (nearly always) smells very bad.

Comment

The Miccosukee Tribal cops have a dive team that is also on call 24/7. They work along side the Miami Dade and Broward county dive teams when they go out to answer calls in the Everglades. They were formed after the valujet crash and one of their own died while on airboat patrol. They are generally called out 4-5 times a week to assist working wrecks in the Glades. These guys have to put up with gators, snakes and whatever else lives in that swamp.
                          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6346 users online. 350 members and 5996 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X