Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why take ID info when no arrest made/citation issued?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why take ID info when no arrest made/citation issued?

Hi,
    My 19 yr old son and a good friend were out in the kids father's "golf cart", (I guess that is what they are called). They were stopped by a P.O. who said that they are not legal. The kid told the officer that they were, that his dad (who is a retired highway patrol officer) had checked on that. The P.O. had the kid call his dad who came to the location and spoke to the P.O.. The outcome of all of this was that there was no ticket or citation given.

But...... the officer still asked for and took down both boy's ID info. What reason would he have to do this and what would the officer do with the info he took?

Christina

1- its called a field interview, it happens a lot,,that way there is a record of who they are talking to,,,
    2- see above, if they need to go back and talk to somebody later,,,ie cause of vanalism, if someone says that kids on a golf cart crashed into their car, 2 hrs later get a call of kids in golf cart driving reckless,,,then they know where to go and who to look for,,,
    3- if the cart was reported stolen later (not this case, but you get the point)
    and so on. no big deal..

Comment

Officers fill out a field interrogation card with that has physical description and all vital information about the person. In case there is or are other calls to same area and additional contact is made with same subject about "bad" behavior or suspicous activity.

Information is shared with other officers only and nothing shows as to person having record etc.

Comment

Originally posted by crstnamre
        But...... the officer still asked for and took down both boy's ID info. What reason would he have to do this and what would the officer do with the info he took?
        He took the info because he wanted to document the stop.

The info will likely end up in the PD CAD system, and the next time the persons are stopped, that info will be available to the officer doing that stop.
        "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

So do they enter this info into record or ?

I have two reasons for asking about this, one, obviously is because I would be/was/am concerned anytime my child would have contact initiated by a P.O., he is a good kid, no troubles w/ the law and want to keep it that way. So we want no records of anykind with his name on it

The other is that I am a paralegal student, focus is on criminal law.
          Thanks for the info!!!!!

Comment

No one can access the F&I cards except officers if need be. They are not public record and the media, employers, schools NO ONE but the cops have access so it is not a record as you would think.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Also, it's a good way to check for warrants. Not that your son is an outlaw, but alot of people have warrants for misdemeanors and traffic stuff. It is mandatory that a LEO arrest someone with a warrant forthwith.
                Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

We use what we called a "Contact Card," this is to record any encounters with both juveniles and adult. Just like Sine Pari said, it's not that they're outlaws, but it help to record any suspicious encounters.

In some cases, some juveniles have some records in file i.e. runaways, retail theft, burglary, etc. So, it's always a good habit to check their 10-27&29 on the spot, no matter how innocent they look. Also, just in case there's an event happened and someone dropped their name, you have their info on-hand.
                  "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

In NYC there is a UF250 form for if you stop question frisk someone. Also the officer may just want the info in his memo/ log book in case someone later makes a complaint or wants to account for his wearabouts/ actions at a given time.

Comment

Personally, I run everyone....you never know who you're dealing with, no matter how "clean cut" they look.
                      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by SinePari
                        It is mandatory that a LEO arrest someone with a warrant forthwith.
                        How often is that not true? Well, I suppose it's always mandatory that an arrest is made, but around here, the jail will almost NEVER take on a misdemeanor warrant. If they run across felony warrants, sometimes the jail won't even take. Felony Escape warrants they always take on, sometimes they'll take on a 4th Degree Assault misdemeanor warrant if it's domestic violence. Obviously this is because the jail is overflowing.

Anyway, so my question is, how often do you all run across people with warrants who you can't arrest?
                        Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                        Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Originally posted by Puget Sound
                          How often is that not true? Well, I suppose it's always mandatory that an arrest is made, but around here, the jail will almost NEVER take on a misdemeanor warrant. If they run across felony warrants, sometimes the jail won't even take. Felony Escape warrants they always take on, sometimes they'll take on a 4th Degree Assault misdemeanor warrant if it's domestic violence. Obviously this is because the jail is overflowing.

Anyway, so my question is, how often do you all run across people with warrants who you can't arrest?
                          We're running into that same problem. Although, the jail accepts all warrants (for now) but I've had alot of problems making class c misd. arrests. As far as not taking felony warrants-that's B.S.! If you have multiple departments in you county, try getting together and talking directly to commissioners court or whomever runs the county. Our county S.O. is farming out inmates to other counties using an "emergency" fund set aside by the commissioners.
                          The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                          Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Puget Sound

thats crap...here if you dont take an arrestee into the jail, (jailer doesnt) then that is a crime,,they all go to jail,,,what happens after is the counties business,,,if the judge wants to pr them,,,thats his baby,,,but all go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                              thats crap...here if you dont take an arrestee into the jail, (jailer doesnt) then that is a crime,,they all go to jail,,,what happens after is the counties business,,,if the judge wants to pr them,,,thats his baby,,,but all go to jail.
                              Yeah, no kidding. I only work security, and there have been MANY times where I will catch a trespassing individual, contact the police, the police will check them for warrants, they HAVE warrants, and they gut cut loose. It's very frustrating. They get cited for trespassing, but still, they won't show up for their court date, and another goddamn misdemeanor trespass warrant will be issued that the jail again WILL NOT take on the next time the scum bag is contacted.

Basically, the officer has dispatch check the guy for warrants, the dispatcher radioes back the info (Ex: "Misdemeanor warrant out of P.D. BLANK for possession of a controlled substance...blah blah"), the officer asks if the jail will take on the warrant, and the dispatcher ALMOST ALWAYS answers that they will not.

Like I said, the jail will usually take on felony warrants, but shockingly enough, I have heard them denied if they're not for a violent offense. They're really just busting at the seams. We desperately need another jail.
                              Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                              Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6800 users online. 353 members and 6447 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X