X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HartleyVU
    replied
    Question about being DQ'd.

A friend of mine who is almost finished with his schooling, but he's worried about being Auto DQ'd for marijuana. He smoked it for a span of about a year, and sold it too. (From age 16 to 17). I think he said he's only smoked once since turning 18, and hasn't touched it since. By the time he would be applying he would be about 24.

Myself, I have smoked a couple times, but nothing to worry about. What about him?

Leave a comment:

• Welpe
    replied
    [QUOTE=mobrien316]I obviously can

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' 87
    replied
    http://www.dodpi.army.mil/pdd_program.asp#phy501

These are the folks that trained me. The examiners I know were trained to these standards by the same people.

It ain't easy to get a license in administer examinations, at least not in Texas.
    The course work sure isn't easy either.

Leave a comment:

• mobrien316
    replied
    Originally posted by Welpe
    OK now this thread has me worried about being completely honest and still flunking a polygraph...at least I don't have to worry about one for a little while.

Here's a relevant question, how is a failed polygraph treated by departments? Is it treated like the applicant was being intentionally deceiving during the hiring process, hence basically DQ'ing them from future employment in LE (same as lying to a BI and getting caught in that lie)?

Also, are computer voice stress analyzers roughly the same as polygraphs in results?
    I obviously can

Leave a comment:

• Welpe
    replied
    OK now this thread has me worried about being completely honest and still flunking a polygraph...at least I don't have to worry about one for a little while.

Here's a relevant question, how is a failed polygraph treated by departments? Is it treated like the applicant was being intentionally deceiving during the hiring process, hence basically DQ'ing them from future employment in LE (same as lying to a BI and getting caught in that lie)?

Also, are computer voice stress analyzers roughly the same as polygraphs in results?

Leave a comment:

• mobrien316
    replied
    Originally posted by Runnin' 87
    Just go in there, be honest, and take the test.
    In my personal experience going in and being honest resulted in three false-positives out of four tests. The National Academy of Sciences put the accuracy rate of non-specific issue pre-employment polygraph screening at about 50%.

Originally posted by Runnin' 87
    A sure way to flunk out is to start doing the counter measure thing. If you have never practiced mimicing responses, how are you going to do it right the first time you ever try? You ain't. You are going to get cold busted and sent stepping having flunked.

I am seeing a few folks that have gone to antipolygraph and some other sights and have tried to do the counter measure thing. It is way obviouse.
    I have no doubt that some of the people who attempt countermeasures are pathetically obvious about it. But no one has ever proven that countermeasures in general are detectable.

Dr. Drew Richardson issued an open challenge to the polygraph profession, asking any one of them to show that they could reliably detect countermeasures. That challenge was issued over three and a half years ago and has yet to be accepted. A member of Antipolygraph.org offered a cash reward of $5000 to any polygraph examiner who would accept Dr. Richardson

Leave a comment:

• mobrien316
    replied
    Originally posted by trez8289
    do you suggest giving lots of small admisions when being asked the control questions?
    I suggest you tell the truth. In case you missed that like you did the first two times I said it, here it is again: I suggest you tell the truth. By the time you get to the pre-test interview you will have already had ample opportunity to admit to whatever transgressions are in your past.

what counter-measures do you suggest?
    I don't think it is appropriate for me to suggest any. If you choose to utilize countermeasures then you need to use whichever of them work best for you.

how come he cant detect it im lying on these questions? are they considered irelevant questions?
    Are you kidding me? The reason he can't detect if you are lying is because the polygraph is not a lie detector. It has never been scientifically proven to detect lies.

At best the polygraph can be utilized effectively as an interrogation intimidator. If a subject believes that the polygraph will detect lies then the subject might admit to things he may have otherwise kept to himself.

However, if the subject grew up believing in crystal balls and tarot cards either one of those would be equally as effective as the polygraph in an interrogation setting. And none of them would be even remotely effective as a "lie detector."

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' 87
    replied
    mobrien316 has it right. I have been an examiner since 1996. My best advise to you is not to worry about controls, relevants, irrelevents or what ever. Just go in there, be honest, and take the test.

A sure way to flunk out is to start doing the counter measure thing. If you have never practiced mimicing responses, how are you going to do it right the first time you ever try? You ain't. You are going to get cold busted and sent stepping having flunked.

I am seeing a few folks that have gone to antipolygraph and some other sights and have tried to do the counter measure thing. It is way obviouse.

Next thing. For a control/comparision question technigue to work, the control has to be relevent in the mind of the examinee. If the control is not relevant to the examinee, the examinee will show false DI, becuase the true relevant questions have an inherent threat and this a response built in.

The greatest disservice an examiner can do to anyone is use bad control technique. Any monkey can create relevent questions, and keep all the squgilly lines on the page. The best examiners set good controls. That is were you save your honest folks. Believe me, it sometimes sucks to go there. But to reveal the honest person the control has to be strong in their mind.

Some folks out there screw themselfs by trying to identify the variouse questions. "Oh that's a control and I don't have to worry about it." WRONG !!! You just went false DI and punked yourself.

Most examiners are getting better and better at concealing controls. Chances are if the examiner uses a control technique, you won't be able to recognize them anyways. New test formats make it hard to follow the questions.

Does it work? Yes, it does. I was a huge skeptic when "they" sent me off to polygraph school. Now I know that it does work, but only as good as the examiner that is behind the machine. Have I missed calls? I'm sure I have. I am as human as everybody else. I just try to do my best everyday.

My philosophy on pre-employments may not be everybody elses. But for me, "tie goes to the examinee." I can always send a note with my report and have the person interviewed again by who ever is doing the hiring. In the end it is they that have to be satisfied about the issue anyway.

Folks I called DI (deception indicated) have been hired. I give everbody an opportunity to explain thier reaction. A few have given some very reasonable explainations. A couple revealed somethings I should have discovered during the interview. Thise are the, "Chief they technically flunked, but here is the explainantion of why. If you think them suitable, I recommend that you interview them again about this issue and satisfy yourself."

I did six preemployment exams on fire applicants this week. Two went DI or deception indicated, both confessed to lying to me about the issue. I'd say it works. Of the other four. I think they were straight up with me. That is the best I can do.

Another thing. As much as the examiner has been trained to reveal deception through polygraph. He is also a very well trained interviewer. The chances are great that he will have you pegged long before he attaches the things to you. Many, many times the polygraph is just confirmitory to what has already been releaved through the interview process. There have been times after the first interview I look at the examinee and ask if they still want to continue. Most say yes, a few have said, "No sir, I guess not."

I like PE's. The examinees are generally decent folks. Easy to examine. Generally healthy. Makes for a good day.

Leave a comment:

• trez8289
    replied
    [QUOTE=mobrien316]There are no

Leave a comment:

• mobrien316
    replied
    There are no

Leave a comment:

• trez8289
    replied
    The User has deleted the post.
    Last edited by trez8289; 02-21-2011, 01:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NavyCop
    replied
    I have only tryed Marijuna less then 8 times.

8 times is more than "trying".

Leave a comment:

• Troophopeful
    replied
    I dont know about highest paid in the State. After the new contract i think NYSP is now highest paid but i may be wrong on this one.

Suffolk County Cop (NY) requirements are very hard.

Although no college is needed, you must ace the test.
    Highest Paid cops in NY ($100k+)
    Testing is only every 4 years
    Most cops dont retire after 20 years, so demand is low.
    Thousands take the test.

Leave a comment:

• mobrien316
    replied
    So, my father was right? Tell them No when they ask about pot?
    Did you read my response? I said to tell them about everything. What part of what I wrote made you think you should lie about smoking pot?

I wouldnt get excited or whatever when control questions like, Have you ever lied seriously? or Have you ever stole something?

What exactly counter-measures. After reading it, I dont understand.
    Download and read that e-book I mentioned already. All the information you want is in there.

If you could explain it to me like im a retard, I would give you cookies
    If you can read my responses here (which, based on your response, I

Leave a comment:

• breakweak
    replied
    You

are all lying , I detect.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5076 users online. 323 members and 4753 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X