Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Approach motorist from the driver or passenger side?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approach motorist from the driver or passenger side?

This question is more directed to officers who focus more on the patrolling of highways, interstates and other high volume and fast paces traffic areas. When stopping motorist, do you approach the motorist from the passenger or the driver’s side? After watching the videos below I think it would appear safer to approach from the passenger side but then again, one never know who one is stopping. Interested in hearing the different approaches as it appears there are pro and cons to each approach. thanks

By the way, the two video links (viewable with windows media player) are from the Ohio State HP.

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/news...80crash150.wmv

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/news...iscrash150.wmv

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/news...rollton150.wmv
    Last edited by Troophopeful; 08-09-2005, 08:01 PM.

Holy crap, I had to check my pants after the first video. That would scare the crap out of me.

So here is my question, since I have to have a fellow up question. Where was the other trooper at. I counted a good 20 to 30 sec. before he came and checked on his buddy.

Comment

I am not a LEO. However, I agree with the passenger side, not that it would have saved a dear family friend or the state police officer who stopped him for a traffic infraction.

Happened on the Indiana toll road about 5 years ago. A former principal and family friend was pulled over for speeding on their way to a Notre Dame football game. Officer stepped up to the driver's side and a semi plowed into everybody. State police officer, principal, Doug Fites, and his grandson were all killed. His wife Nancy and his granddaughter were the only survivors. Since that time is when Indiana adopted pulling over in the passing lane of a highway for emergency vehicles when safe to do so, or slowing down considerably.

Doug and Nancy Fites were very close family friends of my parents. Very, very sad to say the least. The officer was fairly young and definitely NOT inexperienced.

L

Comment

That was not the trooper checking on his partner, it appears that it was a passenger from the motorist's vehicle. The trooper on the rear cruiser was hit hard and he was pinned to the ground unable to move.

Originally posted by toby101
        Holy crap, I had to check my pants after the first video. That would scare the crap out of me.

So here is my question, since I have to have a fellow up question. Where was the other trooper at. I counted a good 20 to 30 sec. before he came and checked on his buddy.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your lost. My condolences to you.
          It would appear that stopping someone on the highway/freeway/expressway (one gets the point) would not only pose a danger to law enforcement but to drivers as well as they are sitting ducks while waiting in their vehicles. Alot of drivers don’t understand how driving requires their full attention and for the most part is serious business, a mistake can cost one their life (talking on the cellphone, driving while tired or under the influence are big no no!)

Originally posted by Lauri
          I am not a LEO. However, I agree with the passenger side, not that it would have saved a dear family friend or the state police officer who stopped him for a traffic infraction.

Happened on the Indiana toll road about 5 years ago. A former principal and family friend was pulled over for speeding on their way to a Notre Dame football game. Officer stepped up to the driver's side and a semi plowed into everybody. State police officer, principal, Doug Fites, and his grandson were all killed. His wife Nancy and his granddaughter were the only survivors. Since that time is when Indiana adopted pulling over in the passing lane of a highway for emergency vehicles when safe to do so, or slowing down considerably.

Doug and Nancy Fites were very close family friends of my parents. Very, very sad to say the least. The officer was fairly young and definitely NOT inexperienced.

L

Comment

It truly was a sad situation all around. I will try to find an archive link somwhere on this. The principal's grandson was the son of my friend from high school, childhood friend. Doug's widow, Nancy, and my mother are still very close to this day. Nancy has recalled everything from the wreckage now. Not sure if that is good or bad, but she is doing very, very well with everything. Time heals, but you never truly forget.

L

Comment

Originally posted by Troophopeful
              Interested in hearing the different approaches as it appears there are pro and cons to each approach. thanks
              This is a public forum. Officers won't discuss tactics here. It's simply a matter of officer safety.
              Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
              --------------------
              This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

Sorry, it was 6 years ago. They referred to the officer as a rookie cop.

http://home.worldnet.att.net/~v.defrance/design2.htm

L

Comment

Trucker was arrested for use of an illegal substance causing death. How sad is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Troophopeful
                    That was not the trooper checking on his partner, it appears that it was a passenger from the motorist's vehicle. The trooper on the rear cruiser was hit hard and he was pinned to the ground unable to move.

What about the officer who made the (TS.) From what I can see there is two patrol vehicles that are on the traffic stop.

About the semi truck driver, wasn't murder on the table with the DA for killing your friends.

Comment

Why and the F*&% did none of those people passing by not stop and help those officers in the first video I hope they where able to get the L.P. off of all those vehicles and arrest them all for failing to stop.
                      New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the *******. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande? half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge *******.

Comment

I always do a passenger side approach now. After it being preached to me Officer Survival class as well as the "Criminal Enforcement" class, it's just all-around safer.

During the day it's more safe because your not in traffic, you have more space between you and the driver, and if things break bad you have more posts and fenders to hide behind than if your on the driver's side.

At night, well that's just the whole sneaky factor. I've stood on the passenger side for a minute or two as everyone in the car is watching the driver's side rearview mirror looking for me. I had one officer tell me that a passenger once reached out the passenger side window and dropped a bag of dope right on the cop's foot- he never took he eyes of the mirror. Priceless.

Oh, and other perk is people who driver older model cars and have to manuelly roll down the window would rather open the passenger side door than reach over and roll down the window- which has the potential to bring more of the car into "plain view" and "plain smell". It's great!
                        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Didn't see it that way but it totally makes sense about it being a matter of tactics. thanks.

Originally posted by SuperSix5
                          This is a public forum. Officers won't discuss tactics here. It's simply a matter of officer safety.

Comment

Does anyone have any background info on the videos posted? I've seen the first link quite a bit, but the last one from Ohio and West Carlton i've never seen.
                            Started POST Sept. 6, 2005

Comment

aproach

Officers, please refrain from explaining tactics in such an open forum. Bad guys already get enough information from so-called reality cop shows. Let's try to keep them guessing a little while longer.
                              Jerry
                              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6401 users online. 348 members and 6053 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X