Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you store your weapon overnight?

I'm doing research for my next novel, which includes a character who is a Minneapolis homicide sergeant, and I'm a stickler for authenticity wherever possible. Upon arriving home at night, he needs to place his badge and gun somewhere. He's married; no kids. And his wife is being stalked.

Would it be most authentic (not necessarily safest) for him to keep it in a locked box? A nightstand drawer? Somewhere else? Away from ammunition? Near it? Unloaded? What is typical, and what would you recommend for said character?

Thanks in advance for your contribution!
    Last edited by soferet; 08-09-2005, 12:59 AM.
    Soferet (so-FEHR-et), n. Hebrew. 1. One who
    (feminine, singular) writes stories; 2. Writer, author.

i can only speak for myself, but i leave my weapon in my holster, which is always on my duty belt. i hang the duty belt in my closet. i would think most leos would do it this way, but i could be way off. seems pretty secure there bc someone would have to come into my apartment, into my room, into my closet, and figure out how to get the weapon out of the security holster. hope that helps.
    press hard-5 copies

Comment

In the holster, on my duty belt, in a pile on the floor in the vacinity of my door. I'm a lazy bastich.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

No kids and wife being stalked.....AR15 adorned with an Eotech and surefire light under the bed double mag cinch loaded with 30 rounds in each magazine.
        Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Years ago when I was single I kept it along side my bed usually in an "off" duty hoslter. My dog would alert to any little noise so I would be able to get it. (my stinger was there too by the way)

Now with wife (also a LEO) and little ones, we keep it in a closet up on the highest shelf and seperate the mag. Trusty dog still with me and still somewhat sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by ufresdave
            i can only speak for myself, but i leave my weapon in my holster, which is always on my duty belt. i hang the duty belt in my closet.

Tha's what I do.

TGY
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

No Kids in the house, Glock 27 in a Fanny pack on the kitchen Counter with my cellphone. Issued Glock 23(?) was in my Holster on the on-duty belt hanging in my Office closet. Taurus Model 85 in the nightstand drawer. Parkerised Mossburg model 500 with 8 round tube loaded with 2 rounds of rifled slug followed by 5 rounds of 000 also in my office closet.

Nieces come visiting, the Fanny Pack goes onto the high shelf and the Office closet gets locked. I had the closet cabinet and shelving custom installed to fit around my gun safe.
              Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
              --------------------------------------------------
              Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
              Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Not to drag this off-topic, but... does anyone other than cops still use fanny bags (aka fag bags)? I have one buried somewhere... I don't think I ever used it though. It was given to me by... another cop, who never used it, either.
                You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

no kids in house
                  i keep my duty gun in the closet in a gun safe
                  i take my backup gun out of the ankle holster and put in in a kydex in nightstand
                  the taser is also in the night stand along with a flash light.

yes i have a fag bag and use it but i drap it over my should/neck instead of around my waist

Comment

Creeker

Creeker w/a fanny pack???!

I also leave mine in the holster most of the time hanging in the closet. I interchange w/taking it out of the holster and keeping it on the nightstand under something (like a newspaper or magazine)at night a lot of times.
                    Last edited by curlyblue; 08-09-2005, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Any other suggestions on where to carry a Glock 27 in SC heat... which would be much like TX? Ankles are out, and I can't stand an untucked shirt tail.

Shoulder holster would be kind of obvious.

So, Yeah. A fanny with my 'cuff's and pepperfoam, extra badge and a pen. And a 15 round extra clip.
                      Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                      Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                      Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Glock 21 45 acp under my pillow with extra mags.

Comment

Originally posted by soferet
                          I'm doing research for my next novel, which includes a character who is a Minneapolis homicide sergeant, and I'm a stickler for authenticity wherever possible. Upon arriving home at night, he needs to place his badge and gun somewhere. He's married; no kids. And his wife is being stalked.

Would it be most authentic (not necessarily safest) for him to keep it in a locked box? A nightstand drawer? Somewhere else? Away from ammunition? Near it? Unloaded? What is typical, and what would you recommend for said character?

Thanks in advance for your contribution!
                          On the nightstand, loaded with one in the chamber. There would probably be at least one other gun in the house in a different location, loaded. Both handguns would be in a holster.
                          Last edited by Darkwulfe; 08-09-2005, 12:52 PM.

Comment

My Glock 27 goes on the dresser in my bedroom. There's also a decent light there. My duty pistol stays at the PD in my locker, unless I'm bringing my duty rig home for some reason.

The rest of my weapons are in a safe. Easy access for those of us that know where the safe is, hard for those that may have to hunt for it.

CT laws are kind of strict. The way they are written is pretty basic- if there is no reasonable expectation that a kid will get to your weapon, you're pretty much in line with the statutes and can leave guns all over the place. But I'd hate to be in court explaining why one got my weapon.

So, no kids in the house, and I have an accessible weapon locked and loaded. When kids come over, it gets locked up. I used to keep a high-powered rifle accessible since we have horses and there is a chance there may come a time when some critter could be screwing with them (we are starting to have bear and various big cats in the area- not to mention stupid dogs). But that hasn't happened and I think I can get to a rifle fast enough if the need arises, so I've put them in the safe also.
                            "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

weapon storage

With a wife being stalked and no children present the gun would be within easy reach and fully loaded. When my kids were young, still at home, I used to remove the mag and slide, leave it in the nightstand drawer. As the kids got older the gun was locked up.

By the way, I sometimes use a planner/ holster setup I bought from Galls. It's neat because you can carry your piece and a spare mag regardless of how you dress or where you're going. It looks just like a normal dayplanner to most people. I use the fanny pack like a piece of luggage when I take a roadtrip, but never use it in public. It just screams gun.
                              Jerry
                              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6119 users online. 343 members and 5776 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X