300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Personal History Statement

Never really thought about this until recently so I thought I would ask a few officers that have done BI for applicants.

On the personal history statement there is section dealing with alcohol. Basically, do you drink alcohol and if so describe the pattern?

Here is my current pattern.

One or two beers one or two days during the week and 6-8 on a Saturday or sometimes Friday evening and Saturday.

****All of this is at my house. NO DRIVING.****

Does this throw up any red flags or is this an "acceptable usage pattern"

Thanks for the input,

TRPR2B
    Be a leader, not a follower

Red flags all of the way.

If you drink six-eight beers every weekend and two-four beers during the week, you might want to consider that you have a problem.

I promise that whoever evaluates you will think you might have a problem.
    Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
      Red flags all of the way.

If you drink six-eight beers every weekend and two-four beers during the week, you might want to consider that you have a problem.

I promise that whoever evaluates you will think you might have a problem.
      yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trpr2b

****All of this is at my house. NO DRIVING.****

TRPR2B
        Don't beleive that for a second. Sounds about what I drank like in college, but not as a police applicant. And if you drink all that at your house you are either
        A. an alcoholic
        B. a loser
        C. A liar.
        Ease up on the booze, spend more time in the gym, and you'll be just fine. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Joebob
          Don't beleive that for a second. Sounds about what I drank like in college, but not as a police applicant. And if you drink all that at your house you are either
          A. an alcoholic
          B. a loser
          C. A liar.
          Ease up on the booze, spend more time in the gym, and you'll be just fine. Good luck.
          Wow. Thanks for the reply guys.

As far as drinking that much at home, I'm a little confused as opposed to what? Go out and drinking and then driving. Actually I have a few buddies in my neighborhood and on the weekends we hang out around the pool, or smoke pork shoulders, or grill out, etc. As for being an alcoholic, no I don't think so. I can do with it or I can do without it. It's really more of a social issue.

B. A loser. Not hardly. Well respected within the community, a good provider, good husband, good friend, etc.

c. Liar. No. Why would I lie about that.

Lastly, thanks for the advice I do appreciate it. I will definitely curtail the drinking as it seems that it will reflect poorly on me.

One last observation though, I'm a little shocked. Most of the troopers I used to hang around drank waaayy more than that at their house when we would get together over the weekend.

Comment

drinking

just remember you WANT to be a Trooper, they have already earned what you are looking for, you have to show the applicant screening committee why you deserve a position at the academy over some other applicant, and if I were on that committee reading your info , I would turn you down PERIOD One other piece of advice : DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS DO

Comment

I just filled out my PHS a few weeks ago before I got hired. I drink a few (1-3) beers a week at a local pool league i'm in with a few other LE guys. I was not sure if I should put that down but I figured I would be honest and if there was a problem I would stop and apply again in the future. I had no problems they guy actually told me we all need a few beers here and there.

But you might want to cut down a little for a short time while your in the hiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by trooperden
                One other piece of advice : DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS DO
                Point well taken.

Thanks,

TRPR2B

Comment

I kind of agree with the OP here... that's really not that much drinking when you put it into context. Sitting around on a weekend with friends having a cookout or whatever while throwing back a few is kind of the norm, or far less drinking than many cops I have known in my 8 years of policing. I surely wouldn't describe it that way on an application for sure, however. Typically, the responses I have gotten are, "socially" or "in moderation" and they can qualify the statement. There is a HUGE difference in my mind between sitting at home in seclusion dragging down beer all the time, and having a relaxing afternoon at home with the friends. I also agree that drinking like that at home is far better than going to a bar (a problem waiting to happen in itself), and then driving afterwards. One caution is to not over-estimate your alcohol consumption either. If you actually sat down and counted how much you have over the course of a week, you may be surprised. If it's much more than you have listed, though, you may have a problem with drinking. Just for the sake of discussion, I have even spoken with those who look more closely at one who lists little or no alcohol consumption on their application as a red flag that they are either a liar or a goober. Not that I necessarily agree with that, just that it happens.
                  God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Po-po
                    I kind of agree with the OP here... that's really not that much drinking when you put it into context. Sitting around on a weekend with friends having a cookout or whatever while throwing back a few is kind of the norm, or far less drinking than many cops I have known in my 8 years of policing. I surely wouldn't describe it that way on an application for sure, however. Typically, the responses I have gotten are, "socially" or "in moderation" and they can qualify the statement. There is a HUGE difference in my mind between sitting at home in seclusion dragging down beer all the time, and having a relaxing afternoon at home with the friends. I also agree that drinking like that at home is far better than going to a bar (a problem waiting to happen in itself), and then driving afterwards. One caution is to not over-estimate your alcohol consumption either. If you actually sat down and counted how much you have over the course of a week, you may be surprised. If it's much more than you have listed, though, you may have a problem with drinking. Just for the sake of discussion, I have even spoken with those who look more closely at one who lists little or no alcohol consumption on their application as a red flag that they are either a liar or a goober. Not that I necessarily agree with that, just that it happens.

DPP,

Thanks for the thought out response. I would say that the use is moderate. Hell, the doctor even told me at my last physical 1 drink per day was healthly. I'd say if you averaged it all out (after taking your suggestion of trying to count the exact number I've had over the last two weeks) it would amount to about 12 beers total for the two weeks. Maybe that's still too much. Nothing is worth jeopardizing my dream so I'll just cut it back to 2-3 on Saturday and leave it at that.

Thanks again,

TRPR2B

Comment

trp2b,,just remember that as an officer you are always on an ON CALL basis,,and if every weekend you are downing a 6pk or more,,i can promise you they will have a prob. with it,,,they cant depend on you if they need you,,i have been involved in a couple of appl. processes and the brass and admin. always red flag that, then when the appl. came in for the interview,,he got blistered,,,if you have a "regular pattern" of drinking then as far as police perception is concerned, you have an issue,,

Comment

Originally posted by trpr2b
                        Wow. Thanks for the reply guys.

As far as drinking that much at home, I'm a little confused as opposed to what? Go out and drinking and then driving. Actually I have a few buddies in my neighborhood and on the weekends we hang out around the pool, or smoke pork shoulders, or grill out, etc. As for being an alcoholic, no I don't think so. I can do with it or I can do without it. It's really more of a social issue.

B. A loser. Not hardly. Well respected within the community, a good provider, good husband, good friend, etc.

c. Liar. No. Why would I lie about that.

Lastly, thanks for the advice I do appreciate it. I will definitely curtail the drinking as it seems that it will reflect poorly on me.

One last observation though, I'm a little shocked. Most of the troopers I used to hang around drank waaayy more than that at their house when we would get together over the weekend.
                        I was somewhat joking when I wrote this. When you put it in the context of hanging out with neighbors at the pool, that makes it a lot better in my mind. I pictured you sitting in your undies on the couch watching TV while pounding a six-pack of tall boy Busch Light. Again, my advice would be to turn a couple of those beer drinking nights into tennis or basketball or bike riding. You would be amazed how much better you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Joebob
                          I was somewhat joking when I wrote this. When you put it in the context of hanging out with neighbors at the pool, that makes it a lot better in my mind. I pictured you sitting in your undies on the couch watching TV while pounding a six-pack of tall boy Busch Light. Again, my advice would be to turn a couple of those beer drinking nights into tennis or basketball or bike riding. You would be amazed how much better you feel.
                          Joe bob,

Thanks for the clarification. It's tough sometimes over the computer screen to figure out where somebody is coming from. I also need to do a better job of articulating and yes I will curtail the beer drinking. I guess my only other question is will curtailing it now be too little too late or does that demonstrate that I'm serious about becoming an officer?

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                            trp2b,,just remember that as an officer you are always on an ON CALL basis,,and if every weekend you are downing a 6pk or more,,i can promise you they will have a prob. with it,,,they cant depend on you if they need you,,i have been involved in a couple of appl. processes and the brass and admin. always red flag that, then when the appl. came in for the interview,,he got blistered,,,if you have a "regular pattern" of drinking then as far as police perception is concerned, you have an issue,,
                            I appreciate the insight and will take heed.

Comment

The thing you have to remember:

This line of work tends to be tough on people. It turns people to divorce, alcoholism, and nervous breakdowns all the time.

Therefore, if you are evaluating a possible candidate and he's drinking a twelve-pack or more a week, you have to consider that a problem. If the stress of the job gets to you and you turn to alcohol, how much are you going to be drinking then?

This is why I say that it is bad for you. If you had said you had a couple of beers per week, I would say that is fine. However, in your original statement doing the math, you've had up to 20 on some weeks.

Also, six beers probably puts you at anywhere between .08 and .12 BAC. This is legally drunk. By your own statement, you get drunk one or two times per week. Do you see where this might be a problem? Would you want to hire someone who gets drunk weekly?

While I realize you say that you are responsible, it is still a problematic pattern. I guarantee if you asked a doctor if getting drunk once or twice PER week is normal, they would tell you no.
                              Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3047 users online. 159 members and 2888 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X