X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spee-Dee
    No Longer Active
    • Aug 2005

Feelings about speeders requesting to see the radar display

Question for all you police officers out there. Back after I got my first speeding ticket someone told me that the next time I get pulled over that I should ask to see the radar because where I live there must be proof of exactly how fast you were going and if the police officer refuses to let you see it then you automatically get off with the judge dismissing the ticket. The guy who told me to do this said that it has always worked for him. Every time I tried it I had nothing but misfortune. The only thing it ever did for me was teach me that there's such thing as moving radar. (That was a valuable lesson though.) My question for you all is that does someone asking to see the radar display make you even more likely to give them a ticket than if that had kept their mouth shut?

PS. I don't actually plan on speeding again. I'm just curious of your opinions on this.
  • LE206
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2005

Dont believe everything you hear. If you asked me to see my radar display Id tell you theres nothing for you too see and serve you your ticket. Im not sure how every state operates but Im not required to show you anything.

Comment

• Spee-Dee
      No Longer Active
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by LE206
      Dont believe everything you hear. If you asked me to see my radar display Id tell you theres nothing for you too see and serve you your ticket. Im not sure how every state operates but Im not required to show you anything.
      Yeah, so far I've been mocked by the police officer, caught the police officer telling me a speed 3 km over what the radar says and the Mountie that pulled me over on the highway was actually quite nice about it. He was all concerned about my safety getting out of my car on the highway and he explained to me that on the highway they have moving radar so that they can cover more ground and catch people from all directions.

Comment

• Tennsix
        No Longer Active
        • Aug 2004

A motorist has no right to see the radar-It is not proof. For example, my tuning fork is 77 MPH. I test the the unit with the fork, the display reads 77 MPH. I can lock that in and leave on the display all day. YOu come rolling along at 35 MPH, i pull you over. You dispute the the stop and ask to see the radar. What do you see? 77 MPH.

Was that proof of your speeding? No. In this case, you weren't even speeding but the radar says 77 MPH.

Comment

• L-1
          • Jun 2004

I can't speak for Canada, but here in California you are not entitled to see it. FWIW, some radars do not lock and hold the speed. Instead, they merely display the current speed. It should also be noted that officers do not rely on radar alone to establish your speed. They are taught to establish speed by visually estimation and also to use their speedometer in addition to radar.

In California you are entitled to see all evidence against you prior to going to trial on a speeding ticket. It should be noted that you aren't entitled to this information on the spot when you are cited. Instead, you have to submit a written request and it may take up to 10 days to be procesed.

Usually people ask for calibration and repair records of the radar device and vehicle speedometer, along with the officer's radar training certificate, copies of any notes the officer made regarding the event and the names, addresses and phone numbers of all witnesses who may testify against them at trial. The funny part is, whenever I hand someone discovery information I usually ask them how they will use it to help their case. The response is always the same - "I don't know."

BTW, discovery is a two way street. If you ask the police for it, you are also obliged to provide them with the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses you will call at trial.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Ken K
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
            The guy who told me to do this said that it has always worked for him. Every time I tried it I had nothing but misfortune.
            But you had to ask anyway, right?

Comment

• Tennsix
              No Longer Active
              • Aug 2004

Yeah, so far I've been mocked by the police officer, caught the police officer telling me a speed 3 km over what the radar says and the Mountie that pulled me over on the highway was actually quite nice about it. He was all concerned about my safety getting out of my car on the highway and he explained to me that on the highway they have moving radar so that they can cover more ground and catch people from all directions.
              The next time, just floor it. That makes it interesting.

Comment

• Cruiser
                Forum Member
                • Feb 2005

Not only are you NOT entitled to see it, you can't as it does not remain on the read-out. The reason being is that some clowns were complaining that we just left the speed up there and nevcer cleared it for the next person. The only way you will ever see your speed on the radar is if you are in the police car and someone else is driving your car.

Comment

• Quopper
                  The Patron Queen
                  • Jan 2005

In CO we don't have to show the driver the radar. When we get radar cert we do it by sight estimation too, and that alone is enough to give a ticket. The radar is a tool we use, but not a lock-in guarentee of anything.
                  When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

• Centurion44
                    Charges-Like-Rhino
                    • Mar 2005

Question for all you police officers out there. Back after I got my first speeding ticket someone told me that the next time I get pulled over that I should ask to see the radar because where I live there must be proof of exactly how fast you were going and if the police officer refuses to let you see it then you automatically get off with the judge dismissing the ticket.
                    You really need to stop listening to this "Someone". He's obviously not very smart. I don't know about other states, but in Georgia if you're clocked on RADAR you have the right to request an accuracy test. You don't have the right to see it, or the RADAR or anything else. You have the right to request the accuracy test and the LEO must then test the RADAR for accuracy and indicate so on the citation.

There are other ways to get out of a speeding ticket. The only one I share with civilians is this one: Don't speed.
                    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

• retired
                      Senior Veteran
                      • Jun 2000

If the motorists asked to see my radar, I had no problem showing it to them. I had nothing to hide.
                      Retired

Comment

• mickmack111
                        Forum Member
                        • Jul 2005

Yeah...put your hands behind your back and you can see my radar

Comment

• Spee-Dee
                          No Longer Active
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Centurion44

There are other ways to get out of a speeding ticket. The only one I share with civilians is this one: Don't speed.
                          Does having your name spelled wrong on the ticket ever work? If it does, I could get out of every ticket I've ever received.

The next time, just floor it. That makes it interesting.
                          At this current time I am unable to floor my car as it causes my engine to move forward and rip my exhaust system apart. I ordered the parts to fix it, but the guy forgot to order them.

I've actually often wondered what would happen if I tried to outrun the police. Something tells me it would not end well on my behalf.

And yes, this "someone" is an idiot. He tells me that his Honda Civic can out run a police cruiser. My 1987 Nissan Stanza could out-run his Civic and it only had a 2.0L engine. That thing was so speedy though.

Comment

• Centurion44
                            Charges-Like-Rhino
                            • Mar 2005

Does having your name spelled wrong on the ticket ever work? If it does, I could get out of every ticket I've ever received.
                            If it's just a grammatical error, then no. That would set a legal presidence that would probably get more than half of people in jail out right now. There are many cops out there who can't spell- myself included.

Just how many tickets have you recieved?
                            You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

• Spee-Dee
                              No Longer Active
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Centurion44
                              If it's just a grammatical error, then no. That would set a legal presidence that would probably get more than half of people in jail out right now. There are many cops out there who can't spell- myself included.

Just how many tickets have you recieved?
                              Six actual tickets. I also got a written warning for not having my licence on me the first time and some sheet with all the things wrong with my car that needed fixing. Can somone please explain to me though why it's so difficult for a police officer to correctly copy a name from a licence? I don't understand why they can get accurately copy an 8 digit number, but not my name. I thought being able to spell was something that's on the majority of police aptitude tests?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17867 users online. 20 members and 17847 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...