300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic calls in your careers....question

That really is just out of curiosity more than anything else.

If you have been involved in a domestic call, have you ever been to a residence that is so absolutely disgusting, that you just cannot fathom anyone living in such a place? Especially when there are children/young children at the residence.

The detective that I see on occasion has told me of some really nasty, nasty places. Sometimes when there are so many cats or other animals and there is feces EVERYWHERE and the stench was beyond description. Places where there is so much trash and debris that there is barely a path to move about, places where there is molded food and *stuff* that cannot be identified on the cupboards, floors, furniture, walls, everywhere. He's assisted in welfare and CHINS cases where this has been the case, as well as death investigations and general search warrants.

Obviously, the cases involving children are the worst for him and the living conditions they are subjected to are deplorable.

Now, I am by no means a clean freak, my house can be cluttered, but never to the point of anything described above, ever. My daughter's bedroom can become a different story sometimes, but still, no animal feces, etc. She just sometimes forgets where the dishwasher and washer/dryer are, but that is pretty normal. At least I don't have to go into her room in a hazmat suit with air tanks and animal or bug traps!

Lauri

Have I ever come across a house like that? I think the question should really be how many houses have I been to that have NOT be like that. Seems like everyplace I walk into seems to be a hellhole just as you describe. I can't figure out how people can live that way either.

Comment

Yep, I probably posed that question completely wrong! You get my jist of the question though!

I have seen some places very close to described. I used to volunteer with children's services and was also a CASA volunteer. It was several years ago and I did see my share of some really bad things, but nothing near what an officer would see as your visits to these places are pretty much impromptu and they don't have time to straighten up for *company*!

L

Comment

The first 10 yrs of my career I was in places like that. Mattresses on the floor next to piles of food, dog crap, nasty clothes, dirty diapers. Kitchens so nasty that even the roaches are afraid to crawl across. I remember one of the first nasty *** places I ever went to. It was a sunday morning and our K-9 guy called out for some assist. with a domestic, Protection order. I arrived and it was a single free standing rowhouse, meaning the other row cribs were already knocked down. Well this crib was leaning like the Tower of Pisa only this wasnt Italy.I walked up the back steps into the kitchen and almost fell through the floor as I didnt realize that most of the floor was gone. While standing {praying for this to be over} in the kitchen I saw the guy cooking bacon in what looked like a cast iron skillet from 50 yrs ago, by the buildup of bacon fat and lard. I saw a roach crawl through his skillet and the guy just keep on cooking his crap. We soon left.
        We call it the {insert local bad 'hood name here} shuffel. Cant stand still in those hell holes or the roaches crawl up your pant leg....
        I got nothing for now

Comment

That is disgusting and to think some people don't care about their living environments. The is no reason for someplace to be like that, *most* human beings have access to water, clean the dang place up.

Okay, my own post just made me go in and sweep my living room carpet again and mop my bathroom floor and change out the litter box for my ONE cat! My dog, who normally does not shed is losing HAIR PLUGS, it has been so dang hot! Yep, it's the second time today I have run the sweeper. I am grossing my own self out with my question! hehehe

L

Comment

My wife thinks Iam crazy when I sweep, ARGH VACUUM the house every other day. I dont ever want it to get loike some of the houses Ive been in, not that I could ever let it go like that. I have been in some 'places' that are filled with just junk floor to ceiling from the last 50 years. Dust piled on top of dirt on top of who knows what. You come out especially in the hot summer gagging for a breath of HOT humid air. I have other than a bad DOA yet to be in a place SO bad that I needed an Air Pack BUT some guys I know went to a real nice house, around $300,000 to contact the owner for something, I cant get too detailed. Long story, turned out they had DEAD dogs all over the house. They eventually called the F.D. to bring the Air Packs so they could go back in and photo the house. I was told it was brutal, nice house, great neighborhood most of us could only dream of living in and BAM crazy [email protected]#ers with that all over
            I got nothing for now

Comment

I always liked going into a place like those already mentioned to interview a witness, in a friendly situation. They'd offer a refreshment and I had always just finished one, thank you kindly.

Comment

EEEWWW that is just nasty! Dead things, animals, people, etc. I know detective man when they do an investigation on a dead person, the FD usually brings along their air packs AND some Old Spice aftershave to put under their noses! Do any of you do that?

I know, a very strange thread, but it IS reality, and somebody has to do it. YOU are all the best because you not only put your life on the life each and every day, but get to work the gory side of life.

My mother and father were both school teachers, father died, mother has been retired for about 10 years. Mother taught Kindergarten, father was a High School teacher, BUT was also an undercover Officer. Yep, I had to be a great kid, which wasn't hard, just got tired of telling friends, *nope can't do that* hehehe

I wish each and every one of you my thoughts and prayers when dealing with this. I did not grow up this way, yet I have seen this, and cannot fathom the day to day things you all deal with.

Nope, I am not a cop, but I do have my college degree in law. (not a lawyer either, thank so very much, I HATE defense, I LOVE prosecution..should have been a cop!)

Lauri

Comment

I've been on calls where the toddler has not been changed in days and the only "furniture" in the apartment was a urine soaked cot and a ripped beach chair.

One call that I vividly remember was a theft report. I had arrived at the couple's project apartment as they were eating at the table. They resumed eating after letting me in. As I'm taking notes about the incident I can't help but notice dozens and dozens of cockroaches scurrying everywhere in the filthy kitchen, including on their table. The couple were seemingly oblivious to their presence. I watched in disgust as they occasionally brushed the bugs off their plate with their hands.

As far as the projects- any cop who's been in one during the summer will know about the humid stench that permeates many of them. The sad thing is some tenants keep their place absolutely spotless and even have the plastic covered furniture (not to stereotype but in my experience it's usually older Hispanic women). Too bad their neighbors on the other side of the wall are often human swine incapable of using soap, water and a mop.
                  Last edited by BrickCop; 08-06-2005, 11:25 PM.
                  Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I am so sorry that all of you have to endure this. Just makes me want to gag. Honest. Everything about that is soooo wrong. Living it is one thing, having to put yourselves in this, is just wrong.

L

Comment

Originally posted by Lauri
                      If you have been involved in a domestic call, have you ever been to a residence that is so absolutely disgusting, that you just cannot fathom anyone living in such a place?
                      It's so common I really don't have any good "stories" that'll gross you out. But I do find most domestic involveing parents vs. teenage kids have houses like this. I surmise they couldn't raise their children with the dicipline to keep a clean house, and then they wonder why they don't have the dicipline to mind their parents.
                      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

I remember going to this house in the county. It had trash all over the house. There were numerous dogs and cats in the house and they didn't clean up after them.

There was one room that had some fairly nice new carpet in it. The Deputy I was with stepped in some dog crap and wiped his shoe on the carpet as he was talking to the suspect. I laugh how casual he was about it to this day. He was like how else do i get it off my shoe.

Comment

I often go into residences where I feel the need for a good acid bath to exfoliate when I leave. I usually shoot an email to building and life safety as soon as I get back to PD. I don't get it, I like to walk around the house barefoot and if I get something sticking to my foot I have to clean.
                          "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Just remember: Fire cleanses all.
                            You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

@ Centurion!

The dog crap story was a good one! They probably had pitbulls to protect their person property too!

L

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3385 users online. 197 members and 3188 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X