300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now or wait?

I'm working toward an Associate's Degree right now. My question is should I transfer over when I'm finished and go for my Bachelor's right after, and then apply for the PD? Or should I instead apply and try to get in, then take some courses toward a Bachelor's while working for the city? I think either one I could do, I just don't know if the class work would interfere too much with filing reports and the like. Any experience with this? Thanks

Start applying now. The experience is good. Who knows? You might accidentally get hired.

Comment

Apply Now. Get Hired> Let Them pay for your further education

If you join a larger better funded agency once you complete a course with at least a "B" you will be repaid. You need to be with a larger agency that has a contract.
      Last edited by Bodie; 08-06-2005, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Bodie, so most departments do pay for classes relating to getting a degree? I had heard this but it wasn't from a def. source. If that's the case, I'm going to apply next year, and start training myself and working out now to get into shape to where there is no chance to not make it through.

Comment

Originally posted by YJ95
          Bodie, so most departments do pay for classes relating to getting a degree? I had heard this but it wasn't from a def. source. If that's the case, I'm going to apply next year, and start training myself and working out now to get into shape to where there is no chance to not make it through.
          some do, some dont, the bigger ones generally do,,and some only pay for a certain amount ( 50%, 75% so on),,i personally got my degree before i applied anywhere. alot go to school while working, but it is hard,,several i know have said they wish they had gotten the degree first, but i can be done, just be prepaired to spend two or three yrs on night shift and staying up till about 1 or 2 in the afternoon, getting a couple hrs sleep, get up, study then go to work. not to mention all the court appearences, and having to work late..just think it over real hard. some professors dont care if you are an officer, if you miss a class, tuff ****, i was in class with one officer and he came to the professor after missing a class, the prof. said "thats not my problem, you need to get your priorities in order", just food for thought.

Comment

The other question to maybe ask yourself is whether or not you want to get a Master's Degree later. If you want to progress beyond a Bachelors Degree, knock out the whole Bachelors degree now. If you only want a Bachelors, it would be alright to get the Associates and work as you can on the Bachelors.

I personally was happy to just get the whole Bachelors all at once.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I was kind of thinking of finishing up before starting to work. I don't think that the combination is that good of an idea for me. It's doable, but not smart. I will go that route unless something changes. Thanks again.

Comment

Get your bachelors now. If you want your masters, do it now also.

K9

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Police
                  Get your bachelors now. If you want your masters, do it now also.

K9
                  Hmm...

Not to hijack the thread but I have a question. Currently I'm planning on taking a course at a local college here in Ontario, Canada called 'Police Foundations' (2 year course) which works with the Ottawa Police right after high school. Then I'd be going for a BA in Psychology...

I -would- like to get my MA and PhD in Psychology but I'd like to start policing after my BA. Is it bad judgement to consider going for my graduate degrees while doing LE?

Thanks for any advice.
                  "Ive realized that firing people gives you a good buzz, but its a poor substitute for killing."

Comment

Not bad judgement at all.

Grabbing up a reputable Master's degree while also focusing on a PhD is hard work by itself, let alone trying to live a "police" lifestyle with wierd hours/days off. If you are accepted into a PhD program, its going to be even more work. Can it be done? Sure can. It will take forever but it can be done. Depends where your priorities are. If you don't like police work, could always quit and go back to school.

K9

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie

If you join a larger better funded agency once you complete a course with at least a "B" you will be repaid. You need to be with a larger agency that has a contract.
                      Won't quite a few departments reimburse you for your college hours? Could of swore I remember reading that on the benefits of department websites.

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Police
                        Not bad judgement at all.

Grabbing up a reputable Master's degree while also focusing on a PhD is hard work by itself, let alone trying to live a "police" lifestyle with wierd hours/days off. If you are accepted into a PhD program, its going to be even more work. Can it be done? Sure can. It will take forever but it can be done. Depends where your priorities are. If you don't like police work, could always quit and go back to school.

K9
                        Alright great, thanks for the advice!
                        "Ive realized that firing people gives you a good buzz, but its a poor substitute for killing."

Comment

Would Portland, Oregon be a "Better funded agency" or would I need to go somewher more populated say LA Cali??? Right now I am working on my Assosciates too, my work helps pay but i don't get any financial aid and my parents refuse to help, so if I could try and get hired on quicker and help get reemburssed that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Matto
                            Won't quite a few departments reimburse you for your college hours? Could of swore I remember reading that on the benefits of department websites.
                            I read it through my city as to be that they reimburse you 100% for any classes related to your major or LE. I can't remember which one it said. But to me it sounded like you have proof of classes and they will give you credit toward them back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5102 users online. 319 members and 4783 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X