300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cst.sb
    Well... a couple hours of drying on my back deck.. and a little compressed air. It looks like all my keys are working again...

Spee Dee.. if you are going to post here, the one thing you going to have to remember is that most cops have a wicked sense of humor. If there is a joke out there, someone here will find it.

Now back to the original thread.

I think social work is a great background for police, but only if you are the kind of social worker that looks across the desk and wants to choke out the client!!!

In reality though, as a police officer you have opprotunity to help a great many people. You also have to draw the line and know who you can help, and who you can't. Otherwise they suck the life right from you.
    Thanks for your input....everyone's input. If anyone else has input on how to work on being more assertive I would be open to anything.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GMUSW13
      Thanks for your input....everyone's input. If anyone else has input on how to work on being more assertive I would be open to anything.

Thanks

I believe that assertiveness in the job comes with time. It comes with knowing the law and your authorities, crim code, provincial, and municiple. And that just takes time.

You have to be physically prepared and committed to going home at the end of the shift. If that means winning that fight, or taking that life, you better be ready to do it.

In your life now, workout, run, take a grappling martial art. Be confident in yourself. If you aren't now, you better findout why you're not. The clientele will see that "gulp" when you go to talk to them and they'll make thing more difficult, so find some measure of confidence before applying in the above mentioned things.

In this job you are never going to know everything, you just have to sound like you do when dealing with bad guys. The bad guy isn't going to know that you had to ask someone to help you with writing up the file after. He's going to be sitting in a jail cell.

Comment

I have a friend that just finished his Master's. He got it in Social Work (actually called MS/Counselor Ed). I asked him why he didn't go the MS/JLA route, and he said that the Social Work Master's was a lot easier to get- less work and less hours.
        "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
          Social Worker training and police technics don't mix well.
          Bodie also thinks that outlaw motorcycle gangs like the Hell's Angels, Outlaws, Bandidos, etc., are great friends to law enforcement, so consider the source.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33710

P.S. Yeah Bodie, I'm going to haunt you with that thread until you explain your defense of OMG's.
          Last edited by Delta784; 08-05-2005, 03:30 AM.
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Thanks for all the great input everyone. Does anyone have any books they recommend for working on assertiveness, presence, etc? Just wondering if such a book exists.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
              Social Worker training and police technics don't mix well.
              Why are you so negative about everything as if the world owes you something...I have not one time read a post that would encourage anybody in the field of LE

Comment

Confrontational

The general rule is to be as nice to people as they'll let you be. The great majority of enforcement contacts require no confrontation at all. Making positive, affirmative statements to a citizen are not confrontational. "Sir, I stopped you for traveling at 75mph in a posted 55mph speed zone". I'd be very "wary" of applying social work tactics in a law enforcement situation. The two are very separate disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                  The general rule is to be as nice to people as they'll let you be. The great majority of enforcement contacts require no confrontation at all. Making positive, affirmative statements to a citizen are not confrontational.
                  I agree! I had a guy smashing head of my silent patrolman (prisoner cage) on the way back to cells. He as threaten to kill me, my wife, my kids, so I called ahead to make sure there was a couple other officers waiting for me and a taser. So once the guy stop shouting, I told him that I knew he was a "good guy" (even though isn't!!!), and that he was just having a bad time, etc. By the time we got to cells he was crying like a baby, all these people who had heard him yelling at me as I keyed up the radio were in shock. Once I got him calmed down he told me about how hard his life had been and what a **** pile of mess he was in. Every situation s different and reading people comes with experience.

So jump in with both feet, and later if you decide policing isn't for you, you still have something to fall back on.

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb
                    I agree! I had a guy smashing head of my silent patrolman (prisoner cage) on the way back to cells. He as threaten to kill me, my wife, my kids, so I called ahead to make sure there was a couple other officers waiting for me and a taser. So once the guy stop shouting, I told him that I knew he was a "good guy" (even though isn't!!!), and that he was just having a bad time, etc. By the time we got to cells he was crying like a baby, all these people who had heard him yelling at me as I keyed up the radio were in shock. Once I got him calmed down he told me about how hard his life had been and what a **** pile of mess he was in. Every situation s different and reading people comes with experience.

So jump in with both feet, and later if you decide policing isn't for you, you still have something to fall back on.

Good Job indeed Sir...Class Act of a good officer!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3754 users online. 230 members and 3524 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X