Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confrontational

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Confrontational

    I was just wondering if any experienced LEO had suggestions on how to work on becoming more confrontational when dealing with people so they don't think they can walk all over you. I'm interested in LE and am currently getting my degree in Social Work and thinking about becoming a Probation Officer. Any suggestions will be most helpful.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Originally posted by GMUSW13
    I was just wondering if any experienced LEO had suggestions on how to work on becoming more confrontational when dealing with people so they don't think they can walk all over you. I'm interested in LE and am currently getting my degree in Social Work and thinking about becoming a Probation Officer. Any suggestions will be most helpful.

    Thanks.
    I think you mean assertive.. confrontational is just going to get you into a lot of fights, or visits to see the boss.

    Sure there will be many times when you'll need to "confront" someone about something. The trick is to be assertive and that comes with knowing your strengths and weakness, and experience.

    Some of the clients out there will take offense to confrontational attitudes, they'll know the system better than you, they'll know the jail guards, they've been arrested countless times before, and all they want is the courtesy being treated like the a-hole they are.

    Being professional and assertive will get you by almost all the time. The guys that are going to want to fight you after that, are the guys that were going to fight you no matter what you tried to do.

    If you are having problems with being assertive, join a gym, take a martial art, and figure out if this job is for you. Because, it's just not for everyone.

    Good luck

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cst.sb
      I think you mean assertive.. confrontational is just going to get you into a lot of fights, or visits to see the boss.

      Sure there will be many times when you'll need to "confront" someone about something. The trick is to be assertive and that comes with knowing your strengths and weakness, and experience.

      Some of the clients out there will take offense to confrontational attitudes, they'll know the system better than you, they'll know the jail guards, they've been arrested countless times before, and all they want is the courtesy being treated like the a-hole they are.

      Being professional and assertive will get you by almost all the time. The guys that are going to want to fight you after that, are the guys that were going to fight you no matter what you tried to do.

      If you are having problems with being assertive, join a gym, take a martial art, and figure out if this job is for you. Because, it's just not for everyone.

      Good luck
      Assertive, yes that is the word I was looking for. Thanks for your advice.

      Comment


      • #4
        Social Worker training and police technics don't mix well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bodie
          Social Worker training and police technics don't mix well.
          Really? Some of my professors said that they new a few police officers who got their degree in Social Work. Why do you feel this way, I'm very interested. I thought about Criminal Justice as my degree but figured that if I decided that LE wasn't what I want to do the Social Work degree would be more broad. Do you have any advice on how to work on being more assertive?

          Thanks.

          Comment


          • #6
            you want to be assertive? get some mirrored aviator sunglasses,, they dont mix cause they are two DIFFERENT fields, nothing against college prof., but they are just that, most of my cj professors were anti cop, go figure, about the only thing they know about law enforcement is from talking to officers at career day.. they can be a good reference for you, dont get me wrong. but that is why i am totally against these college programs were the professor teaches the classes and you get certified. only an officer can teach you about becoming an officer. plus, you can get your degree in anything and still become an officer, in know one who has a computer degree, another has a religon degree, another has wildlife managment,etc,etc,etc, but i think you are on the right track, get your degree in something other than cj, that way you have something to fall back on if it doesnt work out, you get hurt, whatever the case.
            Last edited by gotthblues; 08-04-2005, 07:13 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gotthblues
              you want to be assertive? get some mirrored aviator sunglasses.
              Too funny.. I spit my gass of water up and ruined my key board!!!

              Thanks for the laugh!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                sorry, that one was wiiiiiiiide open,,couldnt pass it over,,, send me the bill

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cst.sb
                  Too funny.. I spit my gass of water up and ruined my key board!!!

                  Thanks for the laugh!!!!
                  I find it ironic that I come across this post after reading the thread where many police officers deny wearing mirrored sunglasses for intimidation purposes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Spee-Dee
                    I find it ironic that I come across this post after reading the thread where many police officers deny wearing mirrored sunglasses for intimidation purposes.
                    it was a cheap shot ,,,sorry bout that

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I find it ironic that I come across this post after reading the thread where many police officers deny wearing mirrored sunglasses for intimidation purposes.
                      ...Hence the laugh and ruined keyboard. If it were true, it wouldn't be nearly as funny...
                      "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

                      -Lao Tzu

                      "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

                      -Reinhold Niebuhr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bodie
                        Social Worker training and police technics don't mix well.

                        Wow, seems to me that is most of what our job is about these days.
                        "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by webjeep
                          Wow, seems to me that is most of what our job is about these days.
                          i thought it was babysitting and playing mommy and daddy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by haus409
                            ...Hence the laugh and ruined keyboard. If it were true, it wouldn't be nearly as funny...
                            Ah, I still think it's true to some extent in my city. Never seen a cop here without mirrored sunglasses and it's something that's even mentioned the book I found on the internet called Speeders' Guide to Avoiding Tickets . Very interesting book written by a retired cop. No where does it mention to not speed.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well... a couple hours of drying on my back deck.. and a little compressed air. It looks like all my keys are working again...

                              Spee Dee.. if you are going to post here, the one thing you going to have to remember is that most cops have a wicked sense of humor. If there is a joke out there, someone here will find it.

                              Now back to the original thread.

                              I think social work is a great background for police, but only if you are the kind of social worker that looks across the desk and wants to choke out the client!!!

                              In reality though, as a police officer you have opprotunity to help a great many people. You also have to draw the line and know who you can help, and who you can't. Otherwise they suck the life right from you.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3589 users online. 198 members and 3391 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X