Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Radar detectors illegal in your state?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Radar detectors illegal in your state?

Are radar detectors illegal in your state for private use?

What do you do when you see someone with a radar detector?

Ive been seeing them used a lot in NY so im guessing they are ok here.
    Im against picketing but i dont know how to show it.

Originally posted by Rochester
    What do you do when you see someone with a radar detector?

If I stop them for speeding, they are getting a ticket.

Comment

In Montana they are LEGAL. But having one significantly lessens your chance with that warning in most areas. They won't stop you from getting caught in most circumstances.

Comment

they are legal in Okla. to, but i agree with the dark one, if you get stopped for speeding with one, and you ask for a warning, well the detector was your warning.

Comment

In Virginia, it is illegal to own and operate one in your vehicle. It is also illegal to sell radar detectors within the state borders.

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester
            Are radar detectors illegal in your state for private use?
            What other kind of use is there? I don't know of any public radar detectors.

As everyone else said if they have one it highly ups their chance of a ticket rather than a warning.

Comment

A quick google of "Radar Detectors", and following the links to a couple of sites shows that the following states have problems with radar detectors:
              CA. OK. MN. VA. NE. and Washington D.C.

The way the law is written in WA, we must first visually identify a vehicle that we believe to be travelling in excess of the posted speed limit. THEN confirm the speed (by both display and tones) using a Speed Measuring Device (Radar or Laser).

"Blanket Radar", or just letting the thing run until it sees something I want is not allowed.

A radar detector will help if there is a "blanket radar" set up ahead, or if the cop doesn't hit the Hold button on the side of his radar between targets.

The hold button makes the SMD stop emitting the radar waves, so there is nothing for your detector to detect. You may hear a blip as I turn it on/off, but it will sound no different than any of the other blips that you hear while travelling on the freeway in a built up area.

So I see you speeding, then I hit you with the radar. All your radar detector is going to do for you is let you know, "You are about to be pulled over."

If I see a detector on your dash or visor, press hard as you are signing so it goes through on all 5 copies.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
                In Virginia, it is illegal to own and operate one in your vehicle. It is also illegal to sell radar detectors within the state borders.
                This is incorrect. It is not illegal to sell them within state limits. Most retail outlets however, don't want the headache so they choose not to sell them. Secondly and most importantly, it is "NOT" illegal to own a detector in the state of VA. It "IS" illegal to operate one within state boundaries. Washington DC is the only place in the US where it's illegal to posses a detector.

Comment

In Texas...not illegal to operate BUT since most agencies in this area are going to LIDARS (laser 'radar'), you'll be locked in by the time your detector goes off and you have an opportunity to slow down. Like one poster said, the detector was your warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Virus
                    This is incorrect. It is not illegal to sell them within state limits. Most retail outlets however, don't want the headache so they choose not to sell them. Secondly and most importantly, it is "NOT" illegal to own a detector in the state of VA. It "IS" illegal to operate one within state boundaries. Washington DC is the only place in the US where it's illegal to posses a detector.
                    Sorry it is illegal to sell one in the Commonwealth and to have one in your vehicle.

VSC 46.2-1079

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.

D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.
                    Last edited by mosetti; 08-05-2005, 09:00 AM.
                    No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

In Wisconsin, it's legal for all vehicles except CMVs. I will not give a warning to anyone I stop that has a radar detector.
                      Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Mosetti, I didn't read anywhere in that section that the mere posession was a violation. In fact subsection B states that it is NOT a violation if the device has no immediate power source and is not readily accessibles to an occupant of the vehicle. And unless there is a separate section or statute covering mere possession or the sale of radar detectors, I'd say that Virus is right.
                        When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

I did not say that mere possession was a violation. Having one in your vehicle is a violation if it can be reached and placed in use by the driver or passenger. If it is on the trunk, then it is okay. If it is on the passenger seat or on the floor behind the passenger seat you will get a ticket. If you have a detector that requires batteries and there are no batteries you may get away with (not having a power source), but if it has a power cord then you are going to get a ticket.

If you read subsection A, it says "It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth." I'd say that means you cannot sell one in the Commonwealth.
                          Last edited by mosetti; 08-05-2005, 09:32 AM. Reason: Spelling.
                          No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Section B does in fact state that it is not illegal to own one or have it in a motor vehicle provided you have met the requirements. It does however look like it's illegal to sell RD's within the Commonwealth. This is very strange. You can go to just about every Car Radio Store in the Commonwealth and purchase a RD.

Comment

"I did not say that mere possession was a violation."
                              "Sorry it is illegal to sell one in the Commonwealth and to have one in your vehicle."

This can be very open to interpretation. It is illegal to not wear your seatbelt in the Commonwealth. If a detector is in the rear seat without a power cord and both occupants in the front have their seat belts on, it would be nearly impossible to reach a detector in the rear seat. Even if this is true, a judge would be more inclined to side with the officer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6511 users online. 363 members and 6148 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X