Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kind of a stupid (possibly annoying) question about sunglasses and policing.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of a stupid (possibly annoying) question about sunglasses and policing.

Someone told me the police wear mirrored sunglasses just for intimidation purposes when pulling someone over. Is this true and is it actually sort of a requirement? I know, I know, stupid and lame question.

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
    I know, I know, stupid and lame question.
    You are correct.
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Because the glare off the road hurts my eyes.

Mine are just real dark. I try to remember to take mine off before I get out of the car though, unless there is a reason I would want to keep them on.
      "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

Ok. So you don't use them for intimidation reasons. Every cop that's pulled me over has been wearing mirrored sunglasses and psychologically speaking, it is said that not being able to look someone directly in the eyes builds fear in that person. I always take mine off when I'm approached as a sign of respect.

Comment

You protect your vitals with a vest... why not your eyes? Without your eyes you become virtually useless in a law enforcement perspective. Too many bad things can happen to your eyes while on duty; dirt, fingers, OC, spit, etc
          Last edited by Darkwulfe; 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Darkwulfe]You protect your vitals with a vest... why not your eyes? Without your eyes you become virtually useless in a law enforcement perspective. Too many bad things can happen to your eyes while on duty; dirt, fingers, OC, spit, etc

Comment

Originally posted by DUI_eliminator
              Oakley makes glasses that are not mirrored or tinted that can be worn for protection.....so the I need sunglasses for protection is BS.
              As for dark glassess. Most people don't wear sunglassess to be "cool" (this included non LEOs). Most of us wear them for the UV protection for our eyes. Or to help us see through glare and bright light sources such as the sun.

Your point is only valid for nightshifters or very cloudy days. I wear clear or yellow tinted glasses when on Motor or Bike patrol during these times.
              Last edited by Darkwulfe; 08-04-2005, 05:26 PM.

Comment

we were required to take sun glasses off when contacting the public, i wear eye glasses, and ive never had a pair stay on my face when in a scuffle, so not matter what i was wearing, unless working an accident, i took them off, when i got outta the car.

Comment

Mirrored sunglasses? Like the 1980's tear dropped aviators? Haven't seen those in years.

I wear a pair of gold oakley square wires when I remember them. Or my back up Armani's that my wife put through washer and dryer and half melted!

I take my sunglass off before I get out of the car unless I am going on beach foot patrol. I wouldn't mind a clear set of oakley's for eye protection against BBPs, etc

And no.. sunglasses aren't used for intimidation, shotguns and dogs are.
                  Last edited by cst.sb; 08-04-2005, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah right At 6'7 275 nobody can see up to my glasses.
                    Panama Jack wrap arounds no mirrors those went out in the 70's.
                    I can intimidate anybody, anywhere at anytime and with great pleasure.

Comment

Per department policy we cannot wear mirrored sunglasses on duty. I wear a a pair of medium tint bolles or ray bans. Naturally, I do not wear sunglasses on duty now because I work graves.......that would just be weird.

Comment

It would be weird, but I'd love to see the reaction from the drunks, I switch shifts in a few weeks, I'm getting ideas!

Intimidation purposes? No, I just like being able to see. I've got very sensitive eyes, when its bright out I can't see a thing without sunglasses, and if I try my eyes are blurry the rest of the night. I do usually take my glasses off when approaching cars on traffic stops anyway though, I can see into the car better.
                        "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

We're not allowed mirrored either since the 70's and we have to remove them when talking to somebody

Comment

Originally posted by DUI_eliminator
                            Oakley makes glasses that are not mirrored or tinted that can be worn for protection.....so the I need sunglasses for protection is BS.
                            I've got an awesome pair of oakley's that are black on black and polarized. They're not dark enough to completely hide my eyes and the polarization totally cuts glare and even helps to see more through window tints.
                            Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                            --------------------
                            This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

I always take mine off.

#1 They are going to fly off my face if I have to run or wrestle.

#2 If I end up in a fight, I don't want them breaking and damaging my eyes or cutting my face.

#3 Even though they only cost $12.00, I don't want to have to spend that amount of money 3 or 4 times a month.

#4 The eyes are the windows to the soul. Mine say, "Don't make me have to run or wrestle."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5564 users online. 331 members and 5233 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X