Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you got hired...

For the current Officers out there;

When you first got hired what were your goals? ex- make Detective, become Captain, Sgt, Chief, stay on patrol, etc.

Also now that you have worked for however many years, have your goals changed?

Thanks

No current Officers had career goals once they were hired?

Comment

ok ill talk. When I was going for an interview for my first department back in 93 or 94 I told them I wanted to do a warrant-fugitive type unit. They did have one but it was only 2-3 city guys teamed with a DEA agent and some county Sheriffs. After realizing I wasnt ever going to get there I was trying to get on the Arson squad. When I realized I wasnt going to get there I decided to get on the traffic motorcycle unit. Well once I passed the {very tought I might add} 80 hour MOTO unit I LEFT THE CITY for the suburbs. Now my aspirations are to be a supervisor. We have detectives so maybe do that but most of the investigations are handled by us on the street. My main career goal now is to hit top pay and start making money
      I got nothing for now

Comment

Every ofc. out there had a goal of one type or another. You soon learn though that out job is politics driven. It doesn't matter that you make the most arrests, write the most tickets, or work your ward effectivley. The only thing that matters is who you know at the top, or who you know in the area you want to work. I came from a dept. with 50 ofc. to a dept. with 2000 ofc. and it is the same, only on a larger scale. i have been a det. and worked tact (swat). The only thing I would tell a new ofc. is watch what you say to the people you work with, even if you know them well, and take advantage of everything offered to you.
        Maturare, Admirationem, Perturbare
        1*

Comment

If you stay on the street you keep arresting people. If you become a Detective or Supervisor you become a desk jockey (house mouse).

Do you want to be that Officer making case law and those career arrests or the Supervisor nurturing Officers?

Comment

When I was getting on I just wanted my foot in the door and do the job. The only thing I mentioned was going to a special team (K9 SWAT).
            After being on thats still pretty much it because I will never be brain washed into a command or desk slot.

TGY
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by mpd88
              Every ofc. out there had a goal of one type or another. You soon learn though that out job is politics driven. It doesn't matter that you make the most arrests, write the most tickets, or work your ward effectivley. The only thing that matters is who you know at the top, or who you know in the area you want to work. I came from a dept. with 50 ofc. to a dept. with 2000 ofc. and it is the same, only on a larger scale. i have been a det. and worked tact (swat). The only thing I would tell a new ofc. is watch what you say to the people you work with, even if you know them well, and take advantage of everything offered to you.
              This is really good advice. As a 3 year officer I have to say that when I was asked what my goals were I replied with staying on uniform patrol. And that hasnt changed. That is where the thought of what cops do stays. Its fun as all hell, and I cant see sitting behind a desk trying to shag down uncooperative suspects, witnesses, and usually uncooperative victims trying to put pieces of the puzzle together.

Real police work is very far from CSI or Law&Order on tv. If you want to go into LE, then think about what you want to do with your career. I suppose its hard not knowing what all of your options are, but think about where & what you would like to do... want to drive a car for 8-12 hours & jump out on people & get into stuff? Want to do nothing but traffic? Want to sit behind a desk?

I was told after I was in FTO that you work the streets & you develop your niche of what you like to do, whether thats traffic, maybe you like dogs & want to do K9, maybe you just want to keep making felony gun & dope arrests.

It doesnt matter because its what you want to do. Really, my advice is to get hired, put in the time & it all comes to you. Of course, most departments (mine included) have job openings for specialty things all the time. Sure they are posted to put in on them, but the reality is they are always filled by someone before that notice goes up. LE is a very political motivated (not Dem/Rep, but more who you know/who you blow kind of stuff), so it really comes down to what you want to do, and who you are in good with that can help you get there.

If I am wrong about any of that, please, fellow LEO, tell me!
              And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

I didn't have any specific goals that I could think of at the time I was hired. I was just happy to have a "career" at such a young age.

I've never wanted to work investigations. I don't like the hours, sitting at a desk or having to wear a tie.

19 years later, I'm ready to be done for the most part. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have no plans to leave patrol. I like working nights and plan to stay right where I am until I hang it up.
                "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

When I started I had the idea that I'd like to make Lt or Capt. before I retired. After a just a few years I saw that Capt. was out of the question because that rank is highly political, then the dept politicized Lt. So, the highest rank I stood a chance of making was Sgt. The problem with Sgt. is that in my agency Sgt, is the most administratively intensive job. The best position I could get to try to make life a little easier for the guys that actually do the job is Cpl. I tested for and took that position 12 years ago because I believed that I could do a beter job than almost all of the Cpls. I had worked for. A 1st line supervisor has the power to make life easier for the troops or to make their lives miserable. I strive to be the former.
                  When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

I just wanted to be a cop

That was all. Fresh outa the military, I just wanted to be a cop. And I was and I couldnt believe they was paying me to have so much fun.
                    Than reality set in, there were other possibilities within the department which I had never considered before being just a cop. There was crime scene inestigation, which by the way was a lot different in 76 than today, for example we did REAL fingerprint comparsion complete with that funny little eyeglass.
                    There was detective, juvenile officer, training, supervisors. SWAT. Heck there was lots of stuff to do that were FUN. ANd I had a great time for 25 years.
                    Out of all of that I think the least true police work was being Chief. Too much headache, to much politics, not enough police stuff.
                    Yeah I just wanted to be a cop. On Night shift.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE

When you first got hired what were your goals? ex- make Detective, become Captain, Sgt, Chief, stay on patrol, etc.

Thanks
                      Yeah, my career goal was to be a cop. I made it.

I had an interest in detective work. But without speaking too badly of anyone, let's just say I've had a change of heart. Riding a bike has been an unexpected and newfound thrill for me- I think I'll stick with it for a while.
                      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

All I wanted to do was good old fasioned, Bumper Morgan, street cop police work. Since then I've worked a bunch of other units but I always find myself back on the street chasing the radio and hookin up a-holes.

Once you've got some time on you will find out what you like and go there. My only advice is if possible go to a larger dept the you will have a greater ability to move around.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE

Thanks
                          My goal is the same every night. That I and my other officers go home at the end of the shift.
                          That's nice....sign here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5429 users online. 308 members and 5121 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X