300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Questions

I was just wondering, I am in the military and thinking of getting out to do LE. Do I have a better chance of getting hired as a former MP or general military? I can do some training if it will help me out in the long run. Since I am not a M,SP. Also what are some courses and classes I can take ( online since I am in Japan) that will better my chances of starting out in LE.

I am 26 now and will be getting out in about 25 months, are there any age restrictions to getting involved in LE? Also i am a task specific individual and have to train for my task at hand. What kind of physical requirments do Ineed to prepare for as a LEO? Any body have a specific routine you follow to stay in LEO shape?

Also how hard is it on your families, to deal with your day to day jobs adn the extra ordinary parts of the job?

Any ideas of what to look for in a LEO job? Pay is not a major concern looking for a chance to fufill a life long dream.
    "Live like NO ONE else so later you can LIVE like no one else"....Dave Ramsey

sigpic

Any military experiance is a benefit. Not too many departments have an age limit any longer. As long as the person is mentally fit and physically able to do the job, they have a chance.In Wisconsin, a minimum of 60 college credits is required to become certified, so wherever you plan on going, it may be a good idea to check into educational requirements.

As far as my family, I've done it since before my kids were born, and through all of my marraige. I know that early on, it used to bother my wife, and it was only a few days ago that my 21-year-old daughter told me that she still worries about it sometimes. I know some guys that never discuss the job with their families, and if that works for them, fine. I do discuss it with my family, and they have been my support system.

As far as pay, we start out at $17.90 in my county, with the average starting pay being around $16.00 to $17.00 per hour for most departments. The Department of Corrections starts out officer at a pitiful $12.00 per hour, but the benefits, insurance and sick leave are better.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Hey stud, what's with the SEAL team moniker?

You are an E-5 in the Air Force accoring to your profile. Be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished, but don't go running around using titles and honorifics you have not earned.

You wanna rethink that username? I'm sure one of the Admins around here would be more than happy to change it for you if you just asked.

In case you're wondering why I give a ****, aside from being a cop I am also a retired E-7 from the US Army Special Operations Command, Psychological Operations. I am also willing to bet that haunting these boards are more than a few current and former members of ASOC, AFSOC, NSW, and SOC Capable USMC.

You really wouldn't want to offend someone who will probably end up being your FTO now would you?

Comment

I already asked him about that and got no response. FWIW, I was not a SEAL but was in the Navy for 8.5 years and I was and am highly offended. I agree, USAF is a very respectable job, be proud of it.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

pkagel,

PM inbound

Comment

Phoney

I was going to tell you that being an MP does not give you an advantage to being a cop (I would even argue that it is a negative thing). I do think that being in the military definately gives you an advantage.
            I was going to tell you that being in your thirties does not make you too old to start a career in law enforcement.
            I was going to tell you that you do not need to worry about getting on a specific exercise program to get ready to be a cop because you were in the military, and any PT program you had in the military should be good enough.
            I was going to tell you that there are plenty of online police courses available, even on officer.com, you just need to be assertive/proactive and look into it or investigate on your own.

I then looked at your profile.
            You claimed you were in the military, but your profile states you are in the Air Force (only non-AF military will appreciate the humor in this comment).
            Your nomme de plume says Seal Team, which gives the impression that you are a Navy SEAL, and therefore completed the vigorous training process, but I know there are no Navy SEALS in the Air Force.

I think you might be a big-time phoney. I think phoneys who become cops do dumb things that will eventually give the good cops they work with a bad name, both on and off duty (the same type of people who wear "POLICE" t-shirts and try to mislead others into thinking they are cops to get out of a ticket or get special treatment or intimidate people or get laid even though they either can't get hired by a PD or keep a job or can't do their job without being a fu(k up.

I think you should think about a different line of work.

Comment

Originally posted by stalker3
              I was going to tell you that being an MP does not give you an advantage to being a cop (I would even argue that it is a negative thing).
              I would like to hear that arguement.
              No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Af

You know, honestly, even with the AF's physical fitness regime, I still feel out of shape...

Also, I thought my job would give me an advantage on the outside, but it really doesn't, since with my low grade, I only pull Security, and not LE.

At least I'll get the vet preference points.....

Apparently, there are those on here that already have something against me for some previous posts on take-home cars, but I am proud of what I do, and do not regret it one bit... and I do like to wear my USAF SF Police shirt off-duty and on-duty under my BDUs.
                -SrA J Hughes
                United States Air Force
                Security Forces Patrolman
                -Defensor Fortis-

-AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

Comment

So what are you doing to change that. The Navy had us do no physical fitness other than the PT test twice a year but I worked out on my own. I imagine you could do the same thing.

Originally posted by AirmanE3
                  You know, honestly, even with the AF's physical fitness regime, I still feel out of shape....
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Workout

I could... but I normally don't... I pass the PT test everytime, thats good enough for me

One day, when I actually feel like I am making a difference day to day, I will start to improve my physical condition, like the day I actually have to chase down somebody, or handcuff someone who is resisting, I haven't gotten anything like that yet, just day to day, sitting on the flightline or standing at a gate...

Plus, I keep eating Subway, Burger King, frozen foods, Taco Bell... yeah, that can't be good... and the DFAC here is no better at my TDY locale....
                    -SrA J Hughes
                    United States Air Force
                    -Defensor Fortis-

Comment

So when you actually have to do your job your going to start working out When you do run into that resisting BG he'll have you for lunch. You want to be an officer, or so you say, you might start preparing instead of eating Taco Bell and playing X-Box.

Originally posted by AirmanE3
                      IOne day, when I actually feel like I am making a difference day to day, I will start to improve my physical condition, like the day I actually have to chase down somebody, or handcuff someone who is resisting, I haven't gotten anything like that yet, just day to day, sitting on the flightline or standing at a gate.......

Comment

Wow

That sounds exactly like my wife AND my mother! Holy Lord....

I can't bring myself to go to the gym, I haven't gone once while deployed...

I do minor workouts at home, but nothing that will extend my life...
                        -SrA J Hughes
                        United States Air Force
                        -Defensor Fortis-

Comment

You just need to do it and stop making excueses. Get up 2 hours earlier and hit the gym or the track. Your still young and it will be a whole lot easier starting now than if you wait until your 30.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Victor12
                            Hey stud, what's with the SEAL team moniker?
                            In case you're wondering why I give a ****, aside from being a cop I am also a retired E-7 from the US Army Special Operations Command, Psychological Operations. I am also willing to bet that haunting these boards are more than a few current and former members of ASOC, AFSOC, NSW, and SOC Capable USMC.
                            I am a former Army MP and his screen name ****es me off as well. Nothing I hate worse is a poser or someone trying to be something they aren't.

Comment

Maybe he was a member of a team of trained seals at the circus? You know, he balanced a ball on his nose and got paid in sardines...
                              Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5197 users online. 290 members and 4907 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X