Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hiring an attorney...?

Well guys...
    Here is my issue. I was just recently involved in an auto accident back on July 24. I was on a rural road where posted speed was 55mph. I was turning right into a friends driveway (its a long driveway with some monster ditches on each side) and out of no where a woman plowed into me from behind. After hitting me, her car slammed into the ditch and when her vehicle hit the embankment it had all fours off the ground as it started to roll, then landed on the other side of the driveway in the ditch on it's side.
    After the impact I immediately exited my vehicle to see if this woman was okay. Much to my surprise I hear this kid screeeeeeeeaming in the back seat. After finally getting the mother calm, I started making attempts to remove the child. After getting the child out, with the help of some locals that just so happen to hear the collision(as if you couldnt hear it ). The police were notified, EMS arrived on the scene, and the woman was pretty busted up from the airbags deploying and what not.
    So after everything settled down, I was questioned as to what happend, she was cited with causing the accident and now on the way to the hospital via ambulance, I got my pat on the back for ignoring my injuries to help get this woman and her kid out of her now destroyed 94' Tarus, and I felt fine.
    I decided to go to the emergency room to get looked over because I finally started to feel light headed and what not. After all estimated speeds at impact were 60-65mph. Obviously brakes were never applied.

Little did I know, I suffered whiplash and didn't start feeling it until Monday morning and all of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (accident took place Sunday the 24th). I still to this day have a small annoying feeling in my lower back.
    I was not happy with the lack of communication with the womans Insurance company so I decided to hire a lawyer because I dont have the time to sit around and talk with some insurance adjuster/agent.

Now here is the kicker. I have completed almost the entire application process with the Chesapeake Police Department. I have one step left. Take a polygraph then sign my contract with the department( i do this on Weds. Aug. 10th), then report to the academy. My worry is this: do you guys think hiring an attorney to deal with this was a bad move on my part? Could this be held over my head and possibly spoil my career opportunity with the local PD. I will not be hiding the fact that i was involved in a fairly serious auto accident from the PD, infact I let the Detective in charge of the hiring process know what happened on the 25th of July, one day after the accident.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:::
    The reason I ask is because i have a pessimistic father that is in my face telling my possible career as a Law Enforcement Officer has just been flushed down the drain.
    Last edited by VAsteve20; 08-03-2005, 08:25 PM.

Hiring an attorney for a civil claim will not affect your chances of employment. When your agency learns about your back injury they are likely to ask for a note from your doctor which shows you can do the PT in the academy and perform the duties of a police officer.

Even if you have a permanent injury, if you can still perform the physical requirements of the academy and of the job itself you won't have a problem. At most the department will want a letter from the doctor that says it is a pre-existing injury so they can protect themselves from a claim later.

Don't hold back information on the back injury. Lying about it will disqualify you where simply having it probably won't.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

why would it look bad on you, you got crashed into, the investigation was shown that you where not at fault, now youre getting the shaft from insurance co. (welcome to the insurance world). pretty much with insurance companies you have to get legal counsel, they aint gonna offer ya $.
      if you were at fault and hired a lawyer to cover your butt, then ya, it would be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316
        Hiring an attorney for a civil claim will not affect your chances of employment. When your agency learns about your back injury they are likely to ask for a note from your doctor which shows you can do the PT in the academy and perform the duties of a police officer.

Even if you have a permanent injury, if you can still perform the physical requirements of the academy and of the job itself you won't have a problem. At most the department will want a letter from the doctor that says it is a pre-existing injury so they can protect themselves from a claim later.

Don't hold back information on the back injury. Lying about it will disqualify you where simply having it probably won't.
        I agree 100%, however my father is a highly influencial person in my life, and he is making it seem like I've doomed my self. I can perform the job no problem, and i can still run my 2 mile dash in 14 minutes and a few seconds, and run 4 miles under 35 minutes... Its just this annoying stiffness in my lower back.
        My physician wants to send me through physical therapy, but I'm trying to avoid it at all costs because I dont want the PD holding anything over my head for any reason. Physical therapy would consist of muscle treatment via rubdowns and the likes.

I'm just affraid for my career. It's more important to me than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by VAsteve20
          I agree 100%, however my father is a highly influencial person in my life, and he is making it seem like I've doomed my self. I can perform the job no problem, and i can still run my 2 mile dash in 14 minutes and a few seconds, and run 4 miles under 35 minutes... Its just this annoying stiffness in my lower back.
          My physician wants to send me through physical therapy, but I'm trying to avoid it at all costs because I dont want the PD holding anything over my head for any reason. Physical therapy would consist of muscle treatment via rubdowns and the likes.

I'm just affraid for my career. It's more important to me than anything.
          If you had a history of suing past employers, then you should worry.

Suing someone for injuries and damage sustained in an auto accident will not affect your chances.
          Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3208 users online. 208 members and 3000 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X