X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pops
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimmy05
    Good afternoon. I am new to this site and have been reading quite a few threads about what will DQ you from law enforcment employment. I have a couple of minor dings on my record that are nowhere near the severity as some of these guys.

In a nutshell, I passed a worthless check once when I was 18 (now 30) and was charged with a class A mis. that was knocked down to violation of city ordernance. Paid restitution and fine. Also my credit is not the best.

I am starting a 2 year program this fall so I have a couple years to clean up my credit but will any of this DQ from employment? I know that it might be close to impossible to find employment in Mn due to the fact that for every 1 open positions there are about 300 applicants, but what about surrounding states? My goal is to graduate from the 2 year program, find emplyment, and then go on to finish my 4 year degree.

Currently I am a network administrator for a large communications company. Not sure if this expirence would help or not.

Any insight???
    Most agencies in Florida are looking for a little age and maturity. I started as a Police Officer in my 40s. Oddly enough, I was a Network Engineer before I went to the academy. Clean up your credit. That will hurt you at many agencies. You'll also need to convince your backgroud investigator that the bad check was a stupid, youthful indiscretion that will never be repeated. There's lot's of competition everywhere so you want to have as few dings as possible. Make sure you really want to be a cop. It's the best job in the world, but you may never make the money you did as a Network Admin.
    Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy05
    replied
    I think that you read wrong. I said "dings" not drugs. But now that you mentioned, i have smoked pot a couple of times (maybe 4) but nothing since I was 18. I have really been on the straight and narrow since then. Good career, awesome family (1st baby in may), just a couple of bad choices over a decade ago
    Last edited by Jimmy05; 08-03-2005, 10:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jakflak
    replied
    It looks bad, but for most departments it isn't an auto DQ.

As far as the drugs, it depends on what you did.

Leave a comment:

• squad51
    replied
    Well it was 12 years ago...so that will help, YOU HAVE TO BE HONEST about it. Everyone makes mistakes..but if you lie you are done done done and done. MN is one of the hardest states to get a cop job in that is for sure, but depts are looking for a little maturity so you age might help you. CLean up your credit keep your nose clean,work hard, have fun in SKILLS and good luck and welcome to the board.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy05
    started a topic Changing careers to LEO in Mn

Changing careers to LEO in Mn

Good afternoon. I am new to this site and have been reading quite a few threads about what will DQ you from law enforcment employment. I have a couple of minor dings on my record that are nowhere near the severity as some of these guys.

In a nutshell, I passed a worthless check once when I was 18 (now 30) and was charged with a class A mis. that was knocked down to violation of city ordernance. Paid restitution and fine. Also my credit is not the best.

I am starting a 2 year program this fall so I have a couple years to clean up my credit but will any of this DQ from employment? I know that it might be close to impossible to find employment in Mn due to the fact that for every 1 open positions there are about 300 applicants, but what about surrounding states? My goal is to graduate from the 2 year program, find emplyment, and then go on to finish my 4 year degree.

Currently I am a network administrator for a large communications company. Not sure if this expirence would help or not.

Any insight???
    Last edited by Jimmy05; 08-03-2005, 06:15 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6037 users online. 351 members and 5686 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X