Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expectation of Internet privacy at home

Folks,

I know SCOTUS has ruled that at work, there is no expectation of privacy for personal emails sent and web sites visited given that workers are not the owners of the network.

How does that apply at home? Example: I provide internet access to my child, who does not remunerate me in any fashion for the service, and I pay the monthly cost of the service. Can I, legally, review outgoing and incoming emails/chat sessions?

Thanks.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"

If he is a child (under 18) you can view anything your little heart desires.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Hmm

Originally posted by sflcop
      If he is a child (under 18) you can view anything your little heart desires.
      What if she's just turned 18?
      Homer Simpson: "I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"

Comment

Your house your rules... If she don't want you snooping through her email... she is 18 an can find a place of her own!
        ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

I agree but...

Originally posted by Hutch
          Your house your rules... If she don't want you snooping through her email... she is 18 an can find a place of her own!
          I really want to keep emails being sent to her in order to show a pattern of harassment. The snooping will be a side effect of that endeavor of course but it can be limited to focus on the task at hand.

Any other LEOs have opinions?

Thanks to all that have responded so far.

Comment

Originally posted by delvallef
            Folks,

I know SCOTUS has ruled that at work, there is no expectation of privacy for personal emails sent and web sites visited given that workers are not the owners of the network.

How does that apply at home? Example: I provide internet access to my child, who does not remunerate me in any fashion for the service, and I pay the monthly cost of the service. Can I, legally, review outgoing and incoming emails/chat sessions?

Thanks.
            If you own the network you can filter,view and save any data that comes in or goes out.

Comment

Im not sure about legally "monitering" emails too and from your daughter...but MORALLY...well..im sure you allready know.Remember theres such a thing as privacy

Comment

Not sure

Originally posted by Celtic16
                Im not sure about legally "monitering" emails too and from your daughter...but MORALLY...well..im sure you allready know.Remember theres such a thing as privacy
                I agree wholeheartedly that there is such a thing as privacy. I advocate it as often as I can and respect it totally. However, when balancing privacy with safety and preventing mental anguish on my child, privacy is wholly outgunned. So maybe I don't already know?

I would argue that even the most "enlightend" among us would spare no expense and use any tactic to protect their child against those that seek to manipulate or otherwise endanger.

Thanks again to all who have responded. I appreciate everyone's taking their time to answer.

Comment

If you honestly fear for her safety and you know your intentions are just to keep her out of harm's way, I think if you feel you can possibly prevent something bad from happening, by all means do what's necessary. I'm an 18 year old and I HATE HATE my dad always asking who I'm talking to online or standing over my shoulder and acting like he's just here to talk to me. It's very annoying. If you're just being nosy and want to know what guys she's dating or what she did last weekend, I think it'd be best to give her a little privacy, after all she is 18 (right?).

Comment

Do you have reason to want to have access to her email? Privacy is a huge deal to teens, but unless they're doing something truly dangerous, they deserve some privacy. There are filters and controls you can install to prevent access and such while they're online-Good Luck!
                    Anyone raising kids in this day and age, deserves a medal!!!

(Not a cop)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5946 users online. 334 members and 5612 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X