300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobie Questions

Greetings again! I would like to ask a few questions I've either always been curious about or recently have come to mind.

1) Where does the term "cop" come from? Is this considered deragotory by any officers?

2) What does the Police Chief's resume look like? I don't even know if he/she is even "elected" by some voting body or city council etc.

3) What's the average fail rate of the average police academy? What is the usual fail reason(s), mental or physical stress? I may someday attend the Phoenix, AZ academy...

4) What can an average citizen do to show appreciation for their local PD?

Originally posted by dusk884
    Greetings again! I would like to ask a few questions I've either always been curious about or recently have come to mind.

1) Where does the term "cop" come from? Is this considered deragotory by any officers?

2) What does the Police Chief's resume look like? I don't even know if he/she is even "elected" by some voting body or city council etc.

3) What's the average fail rate of the average police academy? What is the usual fail reason(s), mental or physical stress? I may someday attend the Phoenix, AZ academy...

1. Do a search on that
    2. Our chief is not elected and I'm not sure what his resume looks like, I didn't hire him.
    3. Not sure what the "average" is, but I know quite a few drop out. I think for some its mental, and for others its physical.
    4. Stay out of the way and say thanks. If you want to get involved, talk to your local dept and see what you can do to volunteer, everyone appreciates that.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Comment

1. I believe...Constable On Patrol...(could be way off here)
      2. Police Chiefs are hired, Sheriff's are elected.
      3. My police academy did not have anyone fail/drop out
      4. Don't know

Comment

No, that does help. I will be calling to volunteer time.

Comment

1) Half a dozen explanations at least have been put forward for this one, including an acronym from
          Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

In my academy we started w/ 78 recruits, gained 2 rollbacks from the seior class and graduated 50, the last one failing a week before graduation. He was rolled back a class and recently graduated. Reasons for dropping varied from getting picked up by agencies with their own academies to integrity issues.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

1) Where does the term "cop" come from? Constable On Patrol (cop).
              Is this considered derogatory by any officers? I don't see why it would be derogatory, if cop was the worse thing I was called in a shift I would be happy.2)
              What does the Police Chief's resume look like? I don't even know if he/she is even "elected" by some voting body or city council etc. Depends on the city. Here in NC the Police Chief is hired by the city council and I believe it is like that in most municipalities. The Sheriff is a elected position. The resume also varies on the size of the city. I have seen some that want a masters degree and 15 years of supervisory experience and I have seen some that would take anybody that applied and gave a good interview.
              3.) What's the average fail rate of the average police academy? What is the usual fail reason(s), mental or physical stress? I may someday attend the Phoenix, AZ academy...
              This will be hard to find info on. A lot of police departments take pride in having a tough academy both mentally and physically. MOST of them will work with you on the physical part as long as you don't give up or quit(you should of had to pass some sort of pt test to get in). The academic part is a different story, you can only fail so many test before you are given the boot, but then again they will usually work with you. Remember that when you get to the academy part of your training the department has already put some big bucks into you and want you to stay. I personally think that there is no difference in mental and physical stress. Your body will do what your mind tells it to do. For instance if you are running (I am not talking a marathon but pt in the academy 5-10 miles) and you feel as if you cant go any longer it is your mind that will make you stop not your muscles in most cases.
              4.What can an average citizen do to show appreciation for their local PD?
              I think a “thank you” every now and then would be great. 9-11 did a lot for the public recognizing what we do for them, but it would be nice to get a thanks when there is no tragedy or when your not needed to fix the problems of society.

Comment

Do you perhaps mean "Newbie" ???????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  *wiping the tears from my eyes* on that note.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                    Well, maybe not. "Noobie" rhymes with "Doobie".
                    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

"Cop" is the least derogatory name I know of...and there many!

Oops, I'm not a cop!
                      Last edited by lt93lover; 08-04-2005, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Cop short for "Copper" Back in era of prohibition the gangsters called officers this.

Comment

My academy class...

My academy class started with 34 (Or 36, I cannot remember), and ended with 17. Rawr

Comment

It's not unusual to loose half a class here either. It's just too bad that peopel quit good jobs and when they wash out of academy they are unemployed. Some just are not prepared to handle rigors of job.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke
                              1. Do a search on that
                              2. Our chief is not elected and I'm not sure what his resume looks like, I didn't hire him.
                              3. Not sure what the "average" is, but I know quite a few drop out. I think for some its mental, and for others its physical.
                              4. Stay out of the way and say thanks. If you want to get involved, talk to your local dept and see what you can do to volunteer, everyone appreciates that.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
                              Great answers to a legitimate question Luke. Since you couldn't answer the questions, couldn't you have just stepped aside?
                              Jerry
                              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3110 users online. 161 members and 2949 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X