Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly'd, What next?

Just finished my poly for OC Sheriffs.

If I passed, it wouldn't suprise me because I was truthful (as possible). If I fail, it wouldn't suprise me, because it was a little nerve racking, and IMO, it's impossible to remain completely still,in that enviornment, for that long. Hopefully slight twitching here or there won't dq me. Everytime he would pause, I would start to get nervous until the next question. i guess that's part of the game though.

The only thing I dislike is the fact that certain things he wanted to know, I answered as truthfully as I could, and he didn't seem to like it. For example, I admitted to smoking MJ 5-15. He wanted an exact. And I politely said 'sir, to the best of my knowledge, it's 5-15'

Understand, I haven't touched the stuff since 96. So for me, it's kind of like keeping tabs on how many times EXACTLY you've seen a specific movie.

I don't know. If it's true that you'll pass if you tell the truth, I'm not worried. If I fail, I'm going to have to personally discredit the machine. No offense to anyone who believes in it.

Anyways, how soon until I should expect to find out my results? I've been told that this was the last step, so I'm anxious to find out and swear in!

I didn't have to take a poly believe it or not, not that it would've mattered. The major that was in my interview was a freakin human poly. I would assume you will get a call soon to tell you what your results are and what your next step is..

I would assume the oral board is next. Hope you give good oral

Good luck!

Comment

in my opinion, the poly is a waste of time, for the most part. they pause until your vitals are even, that way they can tell if you are "lying" if your vitals change. it s been my experience that if they dont yell at you and curse you out afterward,or have you stay over and then put you in a room and ask you questions without the poly, then its a good thing, i was told i failed one when i was honest, they balled me out. another one, i was as vauge as possible, i let them do the proding, and i had no problems,,i still didnt get hired, but oh well, come to think of it, that may have been the problem, but they said i passed and everything was good to go further in the process. my opinion,,really focus on the written test. i always do about average on that, and well on everything else,,i know you ve already done the written, but just in case things do go your way, it seems that the written test and the back ground is where people get sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by horne80
        I didn't have to take a poly believe it or not, not that it would've mattered. The major that was in my interview was a freakin human poly. I would assume you will get a call soon to tell you what your results are and what your next step is..

I would assume the oral board is next. Hope you give good oral

Good luck!
        It's funny because just about everyone told me I wouldn't take one for OCSD. I guess I'm just lucky

As far as the oral board, I took taht back in May (?), along with written psych, Oral Psych, Physical etc. This was (as far as I know) the last thing I needed to get through.

How long did it take for you to find out if you had been hired?

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
          in my opinion, the poly is a waste of time, for the most part. they pause until your vitals are even, that way they can tell if you are "lying" if your vitals change. it s been my experience that if they dont yell at you and curse you out afterward,or have you stay over and then put you in a room and ask you questions without the poly, then its a good thing, i was told i failed one when i was honest, they balled me out. another one, i was as vauge as possible, i let them do the proding, and i had no problems,,i still didnt get hired, but oh well, come to think of it, that may have been the problem, but they said i passed and everything was good to go further in the process. my opinion,,really focus on the written test. i always do about average on that, and well on everything else,,i know you ve already done the written, but just in case things do go your way, it seems that the written test and the back ground is where people get sorted out.
          I agree. It's lame, but if I passed, I understand it. If I failed, I don't believe in it Meaning, it obviously doesn't tell if you're lying, only that you get anxious when sitting completely still, scared to death of what he's writing down,LOL

Hopefully him not keeping me there was a good sign. He did yell at me a bit, but that was in the interview, before I took the actual test. For whatever that's worth.

Comment

i think a unscheduled interview after the poly is bad,,so it sounds good for you. me personally, i dont have much faith in them, after all they dont hold water in court, but its just for the "fear factor" in the appl. process. if you play it cool, i honestly think you can lie you butt off and get by, but that just depends on your personality.
            as far as time frame to hear if you get hired, it just depends on the agency and city or county,,the city wants to hold on to the $ as long as possible, they dont mind making the officers working short handed for as long as possible. they keep their $ & get interest on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouts Out
              It's funny because just about everyone told me I wouldn't take one for OCSD. I guess I'm just lucky

As far as the oral board, I took taht back in May (?), along with written psych, Oral Psych, Physical etc. This was (as far as I know) the last thing I needed to get through.

How long did it take for you to find out if you had been hired?
              I think my situation was a little out of the norm. My entire time from dropping off the application to offer was a little under 2 months. I have had extensive IT training and want to end up doing computer investigations. They basically moved me to the top of the list because they don't have ANY I.T. savy officers at my department. So honestly, I have no idea the normal time frame, but I think under two months MIGHT be a little quicker than normal.

Comment

i think a unscheduled interview after the poly is bad,,so it sounds good for you. me personally, i dont have much faith in them, after all they dont hold water in court, but its just for the "fear factor" in the appl. process. if you play it cool, i honestly think you can lie you butt off and get by, but that just depends on your personality.
                as far as time frame to hear if you get hired, it just depends on the agency and city or county,,the city wants to hold on to the $ as long as possible, they dont mind making the officers working short handed for as long as possible. they keep their $ & get interest on it.
                The
                Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

i know, but they bring you in there when they think something is up,,as i graduated college, i applied everywhere, took many polys, only one that i got called in for interview after the poly was the one that they accused me of lying on. it was not an interview, it was more a "bitching out".

Comment

i know, but they bring you in there when they think something is up,,as i graduated college, i applied everywhere, took many polys, only one that i got called in for interview after the poly was the one that they accused me of lying on. it was not an interview, it was more a "bitching out".
                    LOL I understand that. In my pre interview, I got the same feeling. It's like you try and be honest, and give the guy as much information that you can remember, and they just add to the question that you already can't answer more stuff that you can't answer, and when you can't answer, you get yelled at

Comment

[QUOTE=mobrien316]The

Comment

I've taken a couple of polygraphs in the days when I was testing.

Here's the sequence of events as I remember them:

The polygrapher will walk you back through your questionnaire going over every question.

This serves two purposes:
                        a. It allows you to add anything you may have remembered since the time you filled out the forms. They are not looking for skeletons, they are looking for honesty. If you had any disqualifying skeletons they would already know and would have DX'd you.

b. It refreshes in your mind all of the things that were covered in the forms you filled out quite a while ago. This way, if there is anything you have not disclosed, it will be right up there in your mind when the polyghrapher asks, "Is there anything that you intentionally misrepresented about your..."

The general poly is set up for 10 or 12 questions, and they are all general covering the categories in the questionnaire (alcohol, driving, work history, criminal history, etc), and they will be worded similar to the example above.

The first couple will establish a baseline, "Is your name..." This will allow the tester to see what your reactions are when telling the truth.

There will be a significant pause between each question to allow your body responses to be recorded and then zeroed out before the next question is asked.

As long as you have been brutally honest on your questionnaire, you have nothing to fear from taking the poly. If you remember stealing a candy bar when you were 10, SAY YOU STOLE A CANDY BAR WHEN YOU WERE TEN.

If you don't bring it up, and it is niggling at the back of your mind when you take the test, YOU ARE DONE.

Example: when thay asked me about gambling, they were looking for illegal bets placed with bookies or problem gambling and **** like that. I didn't have any of that, but I did tell them about every barracks poker game I was ever involved in. That way you are covered and cannot be nailed for deception or lack of disclosure. They do not expect you to be an angel, BUT THEY DO NOT WANT YOU TO LIE ABOUT IT.

The best any of the "beat the poly" systems can do is make you an "Inconclusive", which for hiring purposes means the same as "Deception Indicated" and you are done.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE
                          They also use little tricks at the beginning with the "control" questions. They tell you that you should lie when they ask the next question. Then you lie and he looks at the readings and says he could see the deception. This way you think the poly is accurate, when in reality they very unreliable and only used to get confessions and catch mistakes in stories of people who are lying.
                          That

Comment

Originally posted by 4Victor12
                            They are not looking for skeletons, they are looking for honesty. If you had any disqualifying skeletons they would already know and would have DX'd you.
                            Actually, they are looking for damaging admissions. Their goal is to extract a confession from anyone who shows a higher reaction to a relevant question than they did to its corresponding control question.

It refreshes in your mind all of the things that were covered in the forms you filled out quite a while ago. This way, if there is anything you have not disclosed, it will be right up there in your mind when the polyghrapher asks, "Is there anything that you intentionally misrepresented about your..."
                            Actually, what the examiner is doing is making you think about all the stuff you wrote down. He is trying to stimulate you so you are not calm and in control during the test. He may do this in a friendly, congenial manner, but his goal is to get you thinking about your answers. A truly calm person will show no reaction to the control questions and that will throw off the rest of their little game.

The general poly is set up for 10 or 12 questions, and they are all general covering the categories in the questionnaire (alcohol, driving, work history, criminal history, etc), and they will be worded similar to the example above.

The first couple will establish a baseline, "Is your name..." This will allow the tester to see what your reactions are when telling the truth.
                            The non-specific pre-employment polygraph can be broken down into three categories of questions

Comment

MOBRIEN316,,,are you a poly operator,,,you are scareing me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4972 users online. 323 members and 4649 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X