300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Detective?

I would like to eventually like to become a homicide detective and I was wondering what the process would be like? How many years of general duty are required? What is the maximum age for entering the police force? Any help would be appreciated..

Clark

I think it will be hard to become a detective after your Wally World incident back in '83.

Comment

The compulsive gambling in Vegas may be a problem too. Not to mention dragging the dog behind the Family Truckster.

Comment

I think there is some kind of law against leaving a dead body on someones front porch too.
        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkgriswald22
          I would like to eventually like to become a homicide detective and I was wondering what the process would be like? How many years of general duty are required? What is the maximum age for entering the police force? Any help would be appreciated..

Clark

The above statements are all good observations

But seriously....

In my dpt you have to be on patrol for a minimum of 3 years before applying for ANY job that would take you out of patrol. (I think it should be 5 years, but that's a topic for another thread).

After 3 years you can apply. However, the homicide detective positions are extrmely competitive. If a guy has only 3 years in LE he probably won't get the job due to lack of experience. The job would probably go to someone with many more years on patrol. Of course, that guy would have to compete with all the property detectives, child abuse detectives, and anyone else with investigative experience who puts in for the job.

The short version is.... be prepared to spend many years working the street and maybe use other detective positions as a stepping stone. And also be prepared when you get into the job to find that you love patrol and don't want to leave. That happens sometimes.

Good luck!!

Comment

Becoming a detective

Most agencies have a certain minimum of time you must spend on patrol prior to requesting other duties such as traffic, investigations, etc. The specific amount of time is determined by the department you work for. The best general suggestion I can give you, is to do a good job at whatever your initial assignment is.Cultivate (not kiss ***) friendships with officers already assigned to investigations. One solid peice of advice I'd give you, is to become very proficient at crime scene preservation. Patrol is generally the first police element at any crime, and scene preservation is critical. Most detectives appreciate this even if they don't praise you publicly.

Comment

Most agencies in this state (Montana) require you work uniform patrol for a minimum of three years before you can apply for a Detective position. In most cases you test for the position with an application and interview stage. Some departments may forgo this and just appoint someone.

In Montana you must be 18 years old to be POST certified. But most agencies will not hire you that young, even though they will let you apply. Most agencies are looking for someone at least 21 years old.

Comment

Mostly depends on your agencie. I was on patrol three years then went to special services, then to investigations. I was an investigator about five years before I went to violent crimes and homicide. Even then I was not a "lead investigator" for a long time. Just about the time I "made it" I got transferred out to be a patrol supervisor.
                "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3114 users online. 150 members and 2964 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X