300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti-depressants/Police regulations

What do you feel about anti-drepressants and police work. Many officers these days are being prescribed them more and more. This seems to be the trend these days. What are the chances of a recruit getting picked up by a agency where the person is on them already.( if they are lawfully prescribed by a DR.) I know every case is different but I wanted to get some imput. Lets say a recruit is set up for a medical exam and he or she discloses that they are on small doses of anti-prepressents, will that affect the outcome of the hiring process?

Long beach, West coast

I took them for several years then stopped about for a year before I got hired. I admitted to taking them during the interview process. They asked some questions that you might expect involving suicide attempts and such. Apparently I answered everything satisfactorily because they still hired me. I've been off and on them during my career and have admitted so during my yearly physicals. Nothing has ever been said to me.

Comment

Testing ?

Is it something that agencies test for ? will anti-depressants show up on the blood test/ urine etc...Will it show a positive for drug use in the blood?

Long Beach West coast

Comment

Originally posted by longbeach
        Is it something that agencies test for ? will anti-depressants show up on the blood test/ urine etc...Will it show a positive for drug use in the blood?

As far as testing for drugs, most that I'm aware of in CA, test for all drugs, legal or otherwise via urine for the most common, through blood or DNA testing (hair samples) for the rest of the tox screen.

As part of the background process, you will fill out a complete medical history questionnaire that will cover this and other issues..... as well as during your interview with the BI and doctor who administers the test

I know of many who have been hired while actively taking Prozac, Wellbutrin and other similar med's, all protected under the ADA (Amercian with Disabilities Act)
        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

You'll have to answer the question on the polygraph whether or not you're on (or have been on in the past) anti-depressants. It's not an automatic disqualifier for all departments, but it is an auto DQ for most departments.

Comment

I'm not in LE,but,Cops are human.and millions of Americans take anti depressants.I don't see why this should be a problem

Comment

Originally posted by Bklngirl
              I'm not in LE,but,Cops are human.and millions of Americans take anti depressants.I don't see why this should be a problem
              I know what you mean, but keep in mind Law Enforcement is a very mentally tough job to begin with. It has one of the highest suicide rates of any profession. A department hiring someone who already suffers from depression is taking a huge risk. If they're just living their normal life and they're depressed, how are they going to cope with the stress of being a cop?

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                I know what you mean, but keep in mind Law Enforcement is a very mentally tough job to begin with. It has one of the highest suicide rates of any profession. A department hiring someone who already suffers from depression is taking a huge risk. If they're just living their normal life and they're depressed, how are they going to cope with the stress of being a cop?
                Well for me..I've been on anti depressants for a while. Took myself off of them for 1.5 years. Not that I was 'depressed with life'. But I'd just feel down when I wasn't on them after a while. Sort of like the blues, only they're constant. Never was suicidal or ever seriously considered it, or anything that severe. When I put myself back on it, it just basically elevated my mood is all. It's not that I couldn't handle life.

Comment

Originally posted by Bklngirl
                  Law enforcement can be a very stressful occupation. This is especially true when you go into law enforcement.

If you already have problems handling stress in the civilian world how do you think you would react in the law enforcement world?

You have to react quickly and correctly.

If you vapor lock out there a citizen or officer may be seriously injured or killed.

Comment

Originally posted by USAcop
                    Law enforcement can be a very stressful occupation. This is especially true when you go into law enforcement.

If you already have problems handling stress in the civilian world how do you think you would react in the law enforcement world?

You have to react quickly and correctly.

If you vapor lock out there a citizen or officer may be seriously injured or killed.
                    Now because one has depression does not mean they cannot handle stress. For some yes for others no. I was in the military with having being diagnosed with depression and I never got stressed out. While i'd see other 'normal' and 'healthy' individuals try to commit suicide every other day because they 'couldn't take it'.

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989
                      Now because one has depression does not mean they cannot handle stress. For some yes for others no. I was in the military with having being diagnosed with depression and I never got stressed out. While i'd see other 'normal' and 'healthy' individuals try to commit suicide every other day because they 'couldn't take it'.
                      Statistically they aren't as mentally stable. This is why most departments will weed them out with the psychiatrist. Law enforcement is extremely competive.

If that Officer were involved in a lawsuit it would be difficult for a department to defend why they hired this person. I sure wouldn't want to be the attorney defending the department why they hired this person.

Comment

Dont know if this is the kind of reply you want BUT this is a free country Anti-depressants are also now more commonly prescribed fore more than one thing i.e. being DEPRESSED they are I guess now called multi use drugs. I was on an Anti-depress. for sinus infections. It didnt do the trick for my headaches but boy I loved them happy pills for the month.
                        I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by USAcop
                          Statistically they aren't as mentally stable. This is why most departments will weed them out with the psychiatrist. Law enforcement is extremely competive.

If that Officer were involved in a lawsuit it would be difficult for a department to defend why they hired this person. I sure wouldn't want to be the attorney defending the department why they hired this person.
                          Lawsuit from whom? And how would they(person filing the suit) obtain the officer's medical records, since it isn't public property?

Comment

Originally posted by Brav989
                            Lawsuit from whom? And how would they(person filing the suit) obtain the officer's medical records, since it isn't public property?
                            Cops and departments get sued all the time. Medical records are part of the employment application, and they can be subpoenaed. Departments who have hired mentally unstable officers have been sucessfully sued.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                              Cops and departments get sued all the time. Medical records are part of the employment application, and they can be subpoenaed. Departments who have hired mentally unstable officers have been sucessfully sued.
                              Yes but just because you are on an anti depressant doesn't mean you're 'mentally unstable'. Those are generally the folks that get put in special places for their needs...On the topic..What happens to the current officers who are on anti depressants (i do know a few)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6061 users online. 354 members and 5707 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X