300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost... and need advise!

I’m currently looking to start my career in policing, but I don’t know what the best way to go about would be. deleted Thanks!
    Last edited by biz; 01-19-2008, 10:23 AM.
    "Relax"

First thing you have to do if you want in on LE is get the pole in the water and start fishing. If you know you want to get into law enforcement decide what departmentS you would want to wrk for and get the applications in. It generally takes about a year if everything goes right in your process to get hired on to a larger department.

While that is "in the process" find a job or go back to school, that would be up to you. If you can get by finacially I would finish school. The later in life you leave it to the less likely you will finish (trust me). As a general rule there is NO specific degree or "training" that will land you a job with LE. You could have a degree in Criminal justice and be a knucklehead and get beat out by the guy with a basket-weaving degree (NO OFFENSE TO THOSE WHO HAVE THEM ) who may have a better personality for LE work.

Just get started. Gather your information up, background stuff , who you worked for, lived, schools, awards ....etc. Put it in a package and use that info to fill out all your apps. That way you have all the info ready.

good luck

Comment

If you spell that badly then you will most likely fail the spelling test if there is one. Not trying to be a jackass, I'm just saying.

You should at least start putting in applications, making phone calls, etc. It's just like any other job, you have to apply first.

Comment

Start testing so you atleast get experince in what to expect. If you can I could finish your degree. Not because it's criminal justice, but because it's a degree that will help you later.

Volunteer work usually looks good. Brush up on your English, that the best thing you could do to improve your chances. The academy will teach you what you need to know about the law, but you MUST be able to write good reports.

Comment

Lost and need advice

Start applying. I know the Chicago Police Dept has a pretty comprehensive website, so visit it. Don't limit yourself to one agency. Look at the Illinois State Police, Cook County Sheriff, surrounding municipalities. Determine whether you meet the basic requirements for the agency you're interested in. While at it, look into Federal Law Enforcement. It's not limited to just the FBI or Secret Service. Those are fine agencies too. My point is, look around. Good luck!!

Comment

I've been in contact with some people from the Chicago PD. The test will most likely be in November. On average, I was told it takes about 6 months to get hired and start the academy.

This: http://tinyurl.com/aob3q is a good place to start.

Also check out some of the burb jobs. There are many that will begin testing in the next 1-2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by horne80
              If you spell that badly then you will most likely fail the spelling test if there is one. Not trying to be a jackass, I'm just saying.

You should at least start putting in applications, making phone calls, etc. It's just like any other job, you have to apply first.
              Gotta agree with that. The spelling and punctuation was terrible in the OP and likely there are similar problems with the applications and paperwork. That has an impact on those in the hiring process. You may also need to take a look at yourself and see if you are coming across as less than desirable. I work with applicants as part of my work, and some folks look great on paper, but interview very poorly or just act like total goobers. Examples are those who are total wannabe's or think they are already the police just because they went to the academy or are sort-of friends with Ofc. So-and-so. Departments want professional, sharp, bright individuals who present a good image. Good luck with your job search.
              God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158802 users online. 169 members and 158633 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X