300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on agility test!!!!!!!!

Guys, I was wondering If you could help me on thisI, I'm taking the agility test for a local dept. but I have slight asthma. I started running a little each day. I am up to a mile without stopping in 12 minutes. Is there any advice for working my way up to the 1.5 in 12:51??? I actually was running about 1.9 miles in 19 minutes, but then fractured my ankle playing b-ball. It's finally healed, so I'm starting all over again. I'm afraid that when I get called for the agility, I won't be able to do it. Do any of you out there have asthma, if so, what do you use? I know just running isn't going to do it, I know I have to do cardio. I work out 5 days a week, but I don't do legs that much, and never do cardio. I need advice as to what excercises to do that will get me up to the 1.5 in the alotted time. Thanks for your feedback.

i have asthma, i take advair diskus inhaler..and yes, running is the only way to get your times faster.. once you can run 1.5 miles in about `15 mins. start doing 300m sprints and running a mile only shooting for about 8 to 9 min times. dont do it all on one day, run distance, 1.5 or 2 miles for time 3 days a wk, run sprints and/or 8 min. mile two days a wk. two wks ago i was running about 14 - 16 min. 1 1/2 miles, now i can run 12 - 13 min. 1 1/2 miles.
    but as far as asthma is concerned, is it allergy or activity induced.

Comment

To start with, I would recommend adding 3 days of cardio to your workout schedule. You may want to consider cardio for 3 days and weights for 3 with one day to rest. If you schedule only lets you workout 5 days a week I would still aim for 3 days of cardio and 2 days of weights. In order to increase your speed on your run I would suggest a day of speed work and the other 2 days for endurance. In order to increase your VO2max, aerobic fitness, whatever you want to call it, you need to exercise at a pace that gets your heart rate up to at least 85% of your max heart rate.

For a speed workout I suggest the following. Get to a standard 440 yard track. Since your time you need to attain is 12:51, figure out what you need to run each lap at. I got 2:08 per lap for 6 laps. Warm up for a few minutes then from the starting line run one lap at a 2:08 pace. When you finish that lap you will begin to walk until your heart rate gets down to 110-120. When you are there start your next lap wherever you are on the track at the 2:08 pace. Continue this until you complete all 6 laps, trying to keep the 2:08 pace. If you can't maintain it go as fast as you can. As time goes on your recovery period should decrease until you can run the 1.5 mile at your pace without stopping.

On your other running days try to get in some distance. I would think a safe starting point would be 2 miles. If you can't run the entire distace start a run/walk interval. Start by running 5 min the walking 1 min for the distance. Eventually you should be able to cover the 2 miles running. Once you can do that gradually increase the distance.

Hope that helps.
      Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Ever read G Gordon Liddy's autobiography, "Will." In it he goes into how he overcame his asthma due to, basically, busting his *** running. Get out there and run till ya can't breath, suck your inhaler and run some more!! Best of luck to you, whaddya doin' readin' this, hit the track!!
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

BTW, feeling your pain on the ankle, I sprained mine about 6 weeks ago and am still not able to put full pressure on it. I fell off a ladder working on the house. I fell just like they tought us in the academy and all was fine until my ankle hit the cement. Note to self: wear boots when I get another badge!!
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
            BTW, feeling your pain on the ankle, I sprained mine about 6 weeks ago and am still not able to put full pressure on it. I fell off a ladder working on the house. I fell just like they tought us in the academy and all was fine until my ankle hit the cement. Note to self: wear boots when I get another badge!!
            Quit yer cryin schoolgirl. Just man up and get out there and run!!! Just jokin

Comment

pti

thanks a lot for the advice. I'm going to try that. When I first started running, i could barely run a quarter of a mile without stopping. i went to see an allergy and asthma specalist. He gave me the Advair disk along with a inhaler if it's needed. I was up to 1.9 miles in 19 minutes. My brother was in the marines, and had me doing his workout. I'm willing to try anything. I need to get my times quicker. i will try the cardio 3 times a week, any examples of what excercises? Then I will incorporate those strategies. How do I know when my heartbeat slows down? So what your saying is start running, get around the track at 2:08, then walk till it slows down, then do it all over again till I can get around 6 times. I did it 4 times around the track, then I had to stop and catch my breath. I have to learn to breath better and stay at a steady pace. this is a lot harder than I thought. But I can and will do it. I have one question. Once your in the academy, if they are running 3 miles a day, and I can barely run 1.5, how will i survive?

Comment

You might want to think about taking another look at your career goals.
                Running on a track is the most pristine environment. The running a cop does is a little different. You are wearing fifteen to twenty pounds of extra weight in the gear you carry, including the vest which restricts your breathing. You might be wearing all that when it is hot and everyone else is in shorts and a t-shirt. You have been driving around for a couple of hours taking assignments, not drinking as much water as you should. You might be tired because you had court before your shift started. When you least expect it, you have to run. You go through yards, jump fences, avoid dogs and clotheslines, other people deliberately trying to get in your way, etc., talking on the radio the entire time. You finally catch up to the bad guy, and now he wants to fight. You are tired and wearing all your gear, and he is ready to go. Help is on the way but not there yet, and when they do arrive it will take a while to find you. You better be up to the task. You will not have a chance to find and use your inhaler.
                I have found that if you are not in good shape before you are a cop, you won't be afterward. If you are just doing it to get hired, you will stop afterward. Many professions require an investment (college, etc.) before you are hired. Policework should, too (some college, maybe certification, definately physical conditioning).
                I am not saying this to be mean, I am just trying to point out the realities of your career goal.

Comment

stalker 3

Stalker 3, Thanks for the input. I already was through an academy, but we didn't have to do the running in a timed fashion per-say. We did the usual cardio physical excercises, jumping jacks, push up's, sit up's, hello dollies and flutter kicks. I had to use my inhaler prior and after, during I was fine. I can run 3 miles without stopping, it's just when I'm timed, I have a hard time finding a steady pace. I know very much what police work is like, and the condition you need to be in, however I'm 26 yrs old. 6'2 and 220lbs. I work out very often and don't intend on stopping anytime soon. After I get into the academy, I don't plan on my workout changing, and I don't plan on my 3 day a week running changing, so I'm sure I will be o.k in a backyard chase.

Comment

Originally posted by sheriff2004
                    thanks a lot for the advice. I'm going to try that. When I first started running, i could barely run a quarter of a mile without stopping. i went to see an allergy and asthma specalist. He gave me the Advair disk along with a inhaler if it's needed. I was up to 1.9 miles in 19 minutes. My brother was in the marines, and had me doing his workout. I'm willing to try anything. I need to get my times quicker. i will try the cardio 3 times a week, any examples of what excercises? Then I will incorporate those strategies. How do I know when my heartbeat slows down? So what your saying is start running, get around the track at 2:08, then walk till it slows down, then do it all over again till I can get around 6 times. I did it 4 times around the track, then I had to stop and catch my breath. I have to learn to breath better and stay at a steady pace. this is a lot harder than I thought. But I can and will do it. I have one question. Once your in the academy, if they are running 3 miles a day, and I can barely run 1.5, how will i survive?
                    As far as the asthma issue, I can't help you there since I don't have asthma. Several of my cadets at the academy have asthma and use their inhalers as needed. I think you have the idea for the speed workout. To get an quick pulse, take it for 6 seconds and then add a zero to your number you got. Remember to start laps 2-6 wherever you happen to be standing on the track when your pulse gets back down. Don't go back to where you started your first lap. As far as surviving in the academy, I suspect if you are faithful to your cardio training you will have no problems in a very short time. The other thing you need to realize is that your body is capable of doing a lot more exercise than your mind would like it to. You need to condition your mind not to give up when things get difficult. You mentioned examples of exercises.....not sure what kind of exercises you're talking about.

Comment

Pti

My brother had me doing hello dollies,flutter kicks, push ups, sit up's, leg lift's, squats,frog jumps, lunges.We would run a a local park, it was 1.9 miles all the way around with a little hill in the middle. He would start off at a good pace, then would say when we get to the tree, run as fast as you can till you get to the other tree (about 25yrds), then slow pace again. I would also have to carry rocks, and if my arm's fell below my waste, I had to do pushup's(25) every time. Then the last 50-60 yrds, We would sprint as fast as we could. I was progressing,but then hurt my ankle and just started running again. He's not the best to run with because he can run a 4-5 minute mile, so I try to keep up with him and get tired faster. Hopefully when I do the run it will be with others, so I can use them as motivation. All this info is helpful, so I will be trying all of it. What did you do when your recruits had to stop due to asthma? And was it a problem for the dept.heads?

Comment

We never forced them to continue if they had asthma attack if it was legit. If it was obvious they were just quitting and using the asthma as a reason we were all over them. The academy is a regional academy so initially the majority of the cadets are not sponsered by an agency, so the department head issue was non existant. We do have a cadet currently going through who is sponsered by local PD. He is overweight and his agency put him on a nutritional program. Thats the most I have seen an agency get involved with a cadet since I've been there.

Comment

pti

but they end up graduating? Just because they have an attack, there not kicked out? how many miles do you make them run in one day of the academy?

Comment

If you can do three miles then stick with that. Start running, find a comfortable pace, keep with it for about two minutes then sprint for 30 seconds, go back to your comfortable pace for another two, then sprint for 30 seconds, keep doing that until you hit your three. If you do that about three or four times a week you will notice a good difference in your stamina and times. If you use a rescue inhaler make sure you keep it with you when you're running

good luck

-web
                            "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I run every day, and I just hit my inhaler before I head out whether I'm having an attack or not. It usually gets me through a couple miles.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6802 users online. 368 members and 6434 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X